Recon Racoon

I never do this, but I need this forum's help.

I don't know where to place this exactly, so I'm putting here as it seems to be the best choice for this kind of topic. 

So I live in South Jersey. Carneys Point to be exact. I work in Pennsgrove. Not quite like Camden, but its close enough. The local police have put forth a warning that miscreant teens are doing the knock out game non sense, and are targeting people all over town. A few people made comments about being able to carry a concealed weapon, and those comments were deleted. Now we're trying to flood their post with pro-carry and pro-2nd amendment thoughts on the matter.

https://www.facebook.com/pennsgrovepolicedepartment/posts/345002032291629?comment_id=345019145623251&notif_t=like 

That's the post in question. As you can see we already have a few new posts touting our pro-concealed carry thoughts, but I'd like NJ gun forums to throw in some comments too. To really show them that we're tired of being denied our rights. 

When commenting, please be civil. Please be courteous. Do not use personal attacks, or blame the police department for denying us our rights. We're trying to convey a message, not look like raving lunatics just let go from the asylum. 

Thank you.

This game is a sad one for sure. I've read alot of the posts and I do not believe that CCW would do you any good. The game is getting someone off guard and whacking them. You'll be out cold whether you carry or not.. If someone witnessed it from another pov, then even then, they run and you cannot shoot them in the back.

I'll post support. Sorry to hear about this happening in our backyard.

BHunted - if the assailants knew that their intended victim or witnesses in close proximity could possible be armed then they might think twice about engaging in this disgusting activity.

There is a story out there about exactly that. A man with a CCW stopped the thugs before he was attacked. I'll google it later and post the link.

It would clearly act as a deterrant.

BHunted - if the assailants knew that their intended victim or witnesses in close proximity could possible be armed then they might think twice about engaging in this disgusting activity.

There is a story out there about exactly that. A man with a CCW stopped the thugs before he was attacked. I'll google it later and post the link.

It would clearly act as a deterrant.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/21/thugs-picked-the-wrong-dad-to-target-for-shameful-knockout-game-hes-a-concealed-carry-permit-holder-and-he-used-it/

Thanks for the help guys! But Pennsgrove police keep deleting the comments they feel aren't worth being read. I just posted a new one pointing this out, but I know it'll get trashed shortly. But we can keep trying to change their minds. Start small, change one town at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys! But Pennsgrove police keep deleting the comments they feel aren't worth being read. I just posted a new one pointing this out, but I know it'll get trashed shortly. But we can keep trying to change their minds. Start small, change one town at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, their doing a fine job at restricting peoples 1st amendment rights as well.

Its a total disgrace that those charged with upholding the law (yes the first amendment) would chose to censor opinions, but only on one side of an issue.  Dues not say much for the officer in charge of their page.

Someone needs to sue them for violating the 1st amendment. 

Some of my thoughts:

1. You're wasting your time arguing with a police officer about this. He has nothing to do with it.

2. Carrying a firearm will not generally protect you from the knockout game. Why do you think it's named "knockout game" and not, for example, "the boxing game," where the assailant challenges you to three rounds according to WBF rules?

3. This is not a first amendment issue. Facebook is a private business. They can do anything they like to your posts. When the FBI raids your home for that post, then you can invoke the 1st Amendment.

4. Facebook is a monumental waste of time. More so even than this forum :)

3. This is not a first amendment issue. Facebook is a private business. They can do anything they like to your posts. When the FBI raids your home for that post, then you can invoke the 1st Amendment.

It absolutely is a 1A issue. Facebook is not deleting posts. The police department (Government) is. They probably cannot do "anything they like" to your posts. This happened in Hawaii, they sued, and the PD changed their policy.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/hawaii-gun-group-sues-police-over-deleted-facebook-posts

http://www.hawaiidefensefoundation.org/on-featured/police-fan-page-brings-amendment-lawsuit/

It absolutely is a 1A issue. Facebook is not deleting posts. The police department (Government) is. They probably cannot do "anything they like" to your posts. This happened in Hawaii, they sued, and the PD changed their policy.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/hawaii-gun-group-sues-police-over-deleted-facebook-posts

http://www.hawaiidefensefoundation.org/on-featured/police-fan-page-brings-amendment-lawsuit/

Ah OK, it's all coming back to me. The entity that runs the FB page gets to delete anything they like. When I was on FB I deleted assholian posts and photos from my page. In fact I often just deleted everything. Are you saying that my "friends," most of whom were lefties, could sue me for violating their first amendment right to say that all guns should be banned?

A first amendment issue arises if the GOVERNMENT, not a facebook afficionado, but the GOVERNMENT takes action against you for exercising speech that is generally permissible under the 1st Amendment. If the cops show up at your door to arrest you for your post, then it's possibly a 1A issue.

The first amendment does not protect someone blabbering on and on about how much they love ice cream on your FB page, or posting pictures of grossly obese women, or of a pack of lions eating an antelope. You can delete them if you like.

The fact that a Hawaiian court ruled in plaintiff's favor (did they? the articles you posted suggested the case is ongoing) is ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS. By your logic the disposition of recent NJ carry cases are fine and dandy. After all, a court made a ruling, it must be true.

I'm tired of people bringing up the 1st Amendment in situations where it does not apply. Recently, a Youtuber I *used to* subscribe to went on a rant about someone who criticized him for saying, "Happy Memorial Day."

The responder argued, I believe correctly if not a bit rigidly, that Memorial Day is a somber day of reflection that is very different from a Halloween parade. Sort of like saying "Have a great day" to the widow at a wake.

Anyway, the Youtuber ranted back, "I'm a veteran. He can't violate my first amendment right..." 

In other words, criticizing him = a 1st Amendment right violation?

I agree with those that say a person or company has the right to delete anything they want from their FB page or web site.  I am not sure I agree with that when it is a government paid for and controlled web site.  I think in that case it is a restriction of free speech.  I guess its for a judge to decide if someone spends the money to take them to court.  Maybe the ACLU will go after them...   HaHa I made a funny!

I agree with those that say a person or company has the right to delete anything they want from their FB page or web site.  I am not sure I agree with that when it is a government paid for and controlled web site.  I think in that case it is a restriction of free speech.  I guess its for a judge to decide if someone spends the money to take them to court.  Maybe the ACLU will go after them...   HaHa I made a funny!

I'm thinking, because it's a FB page, hosted by FB infrastructure, it falls under Facebook's TOS. The Govt. entity in question just happens to be another FB user, just like all other FB users.  Therefore, they probably *do* have the right to delete posts.

Now, if the Govt. entity hosted their own server/site and did the same thing......   :dontknow:

I am all for the right to carry and all but carrying a gun wont help at all with the "Knockout game". I was a victim of this a few years ago in Somerville. I walked out of a store and got my bell rung, I barely even saw it coming let alone had time to draw. The kid did not knock me out but did bring me to my knees and I could not see straight for a few moments. I would be afraid that if I was carrying a gun and they did knock me out they might take my gun. I do agree that if everyone in the state were allowed to carry a gun it might deter the knockout game a bit, but I really think that situational awareness is a better solution than CCW in protection from the knockout game. because of this and one other incident in my life where I was robbed at gunpoint I have become MUCH more aware of what is going on around me   

I feel like open-carry would deter this sort of thing more than the threat of CCW. The "people" playing this stupid game are cowardly turds; you don't see them doing this to cops, do you?

THIS. If thugs don't now who may or may not be carrying do you think they would randomly just attack people? Maybe the cerebally challenged won't care but if those with half a brain know that their target or those in the immediate area may be armed they prob won't "play" this game.

The only thing the thugs know right know is the person I'm about to attack is not armed and neither is anyone one else around them.

I truly wish you luck with this but the Newark riots a long time ago and subsequent cry for concealed carry, did not move Trenton. I doubt that fear of the knockout game, something found in a lot of cities, is not going to change their cold black hearts.