High Exposure

Lawn Care Equipment Help

So, finally have a house with a yard that I need to take care of (no association and maintenance folks here). I need a lawnmower and weed-whacker but I don't know anything about what to look for or what makes one tool better than another.

For the mower I think I want a self propelled model, most likely gasoline powered but not opposed to battery or electric if they work better.

For the weed whacker everyone I was looking at were rechargeable battery powered. It would be nice if it could edge as well.

Let me know what you use and like and recommend. Thanks!

I recommend a commercial quality line trimmer (weed wacker) with a straight shaft. Go to a lawn mower shop that landscapers use. 2 cycle preferably even though it's loud and smelly. It's going to cost double the price but will last forever and the extra power is very nice. Same advice with the edger. Rechargeable is for the birds.

I’ve been a Sears guy for years but since they merged with K-Mart it’s been downhill ever since. Anyway I’m still limping long my sears mover. As far as the weed-whacker I just replaced my Sears WW with a cheap 2-stroke HomeDepot WW. As mentioned above with Gasoline or 2-stroke you basically has two options, straight staff or curved. The Straight staff is better for taller guys otherwise.

Also the some of the WW factory feed heads suck, I got an aftermarket head for my Sears weed-whacker that I was able to transfer to my recently purchased HomeDepot WW. It makes line changes very easy. Something else to watch is ethanol in the gas sometimes ruins your fuels lines and gaskets. So if you are unsure if your mover or WW is OK with ethanol just buy some ethanol guard in the Lawn and Garden center.

How large is your lawn? If it's small, rechargeable stuff might be OK, if it's large gas is probably better.

If you go with gas equipment, as Respect said, go with commercial equipment. Home Depot and Lowes crap is not designed to be repaired, they want you to buy new equipment when it breaks every couple of years or so. You will also have trouble finding anyone to work on the equipment you buy from the chain stores, most power equipment shops won't work on them. Stick with Stihl or Shindawa for two cycle equipment.

For the weedwacker get a STIHL.

For the mower it depends on the size of the lawn.  I have two Scags, a 4 footer and a 5 footer, but then I have 3+ acres to mow.  So if you talking about less than a 1/4 acre, I'll have to defer to somebody who has a smaller lawn.

All my small lawn equipment is STIHL.  Not the cheapest but works day in and out.  Weedwacker, backpack blower, and 4 Chainsaws perform flawlessly.

Street wise says Stihl or Echo are the goto brands.

Unless you have a 25' x 50' lot, dont go with the rechargeable trimmer..   Echo 2 stage is a bit more expensive, but it a beast of a machine.  I have a Husqvarna now and with I had gone with the Echo.. 

As for lawnmower, self propelled walk behind ones are great.  There are Honda, Husqvarna, Toro, John Deere (expensive) are decent brands..  (non-commercial)..  chances are, if you take care of them, they will all last you for years...  A semi decent lawn mower from HD or lowes will run about 300 and if you spend about 150, you can get a half decent trimmer..

Just my 2¢

I have a Honda self propelled walk behind mower that runs like a top, and has the last 13 years with a yearly maintenance I do in the winter. The line trimmer is a 4 stroke honda that works really well. As for the blower Ive go with the stihl. I had an echo for a couple years and it just didn't hold up.

I've had good experiences with Stihl equipment. Even their homeowner line has been more powerful and reliable than big box store stuff for me.

As for my mower? I use an old 2 cycle LawnBoy. Starts easy, and eats grass like nothing else. Super light and maneuverable, I don't need the self propel (though it doesn't work on mine to begin with). The 4 HP F series engine feels more powerful than the 5HP Honda engines and 6.5 HP B&S engines I've used before. Do you have to mix oil and gas? Sure, but you don't have to do an oil change. Bad for the environment? Maybe, but so is buying a new machine when a 2 cycle LawnBoy will last a loooong time. If you get one (used, since they only come in 4 cycle nowadays), try to look for an aluminum deck model (Gold/GoldPro and Commercial series). Super light, and won't rust.

I use Murray. After weed eater failed me for like four years running, made the switch to a 22" inch cut deck mower and string trimmer from Murray and love it. Went from small diameter string to .095 and it eats anything I point it at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboy 2 cycle mowers last forever.  There's a reason the equipment rental places use them almost exclusively.  They are also more fuel efficient.  If you are going to buy a Honda mower, buy a Honda mower, not one with a Honda engine.  I bought a Troy Built with a Honda engine and it's crap.  You might also consider buying a used commercial mower with a 36" deck.  Small enough to fit through gates, big enough to cut your mowing time in half (or less). If your gates are 48" or bigger, then go bigger.   If you can afford it, get a hydro, if not then belt drive is fine too but prone to slipping if cutting tall wet grass.  No matter what trimmer you get, get one with a straight shaft.  For the amount of trimming you will do, electric will probably be fine but I'd still recommend a gas powered trimmer.

+1 for Stihl trimmers, and Echo is very close and they make excellent equipment.    Every review of Murray trimmers online I've seen is junk, as is poulan, craftsman, and cub cadet.  Buy something decent, take care of it,  and it will last a very long time.   If I remember correctly (it's been a while) Redmax is pro-grade and a little pricey compared to Stihl/Echo.  IMHO, For a once-a-week job, I would say Stihl/Echo is the best bang for the buck and will do everything you ask of it.  

I've used both 2 cycle and electric string trimmers and will NEVER go electric again.  Dealing with battery packs and cords is a total waste of time and far more restrictive and frustrating than the "hassle" of keeping gas/oil mix around and making sure you drain the fuel in the winter.   2-cycle all the way.

The only electric yard tool I actually prefer over gas is a hedge trimmer, as there's not much traveling and they are light and maneuverable.

Stihl, Toro, etc are the way to go.

I'm on my second Toro mower. The first one my dad broke the carburetor on, but it was way the hell older than me and it certainly got its use. The current one I have is a "Super Recycler" and is from the early 2000's I think. Starts on the third pull or so, and is bagless which is a huge plus. Has this "Gauranteed to Start within 5 pulls for 5 years" sticker and it starts well within that 10+ years later.

I am now using a John Deere tractor.

I used to have a corded cheapo weed wacker, then my dad bought a POS TroyBuilt, and now I am on a second hand weedwhacker. The corded was OK but I generally don't use any cordless tools unless it is a screwgun. Batteries die. Now using a fantastic John Deere lawnmower.

Leafblowers and chainsaws are Stihl. Nothing was bought new except the POS TroyBuilt. I maintain none of it, leave gas in them all year, and all they need is some Seafoam in the gas and carb once a season. I do maintain the tractor though.

Well shit, finally a topic I can answer with some expertise in.

Sears Craftsman are generally considered kind of crappy. However, mine has the reliability of an AK. When we first got it, I kept bending over while emptying the bag in a way which caused my trashbag to melt onto the radiator. It's also stored in an old tin-shed that's rusted and falling apart, and with a dirt floor, so it's essentially out in the elements. I've never changed the air filter in the 7 years I've owned it, never sharpened the blades, add oil maybe once a year, use stale gas in it, a squirrel chewed the gascap so much it has holes in it, exposing the gas to the air, the covering around the engine is cracked, there's literal shit caked into the wheels, and it's coated in so much dirt that a moment ago, when I went to check what brand it was, I had to wipe it off in order to read the branding.

We've had that damn lawn mower at least 7 years, and it keeps chugging along. My poppop had a craftsman riding mower and that thing lasted forever also, so I guess it depends. 

Also, never get an electric lawn mower, cords are a pain in the dick for lawn equipment, they get in the way, and i can't even picture how one can get a nice pattern going with an electric lawnmower. 

That being said, for weedwhackers, electric will serve you nicely. Personally, I've found you don't really need to spend a lot to get something good. I've had both good Black and Deckers, and Grass hogs.  I think the gas ones suck because they can be hard to start, and you have to mix gas and oil, and i really can't be bothered to do that. But I did own one for a while, and I couldn't get the thing started to save my life. Just make sure if you go electric, you get an extension cord on one of those things you can use to roll the cord up in, it will make your life much easier.

But yeah, this type of stuff is kinda my bread and butter. People will say to go out and get some fancy, expensive lawnmower. Trust me, there's really no difference, and it's not like you're cutting a golf course. If you're interested in riding mowers, Cub Cadets are pretty awesome in my opinion, and my poppop's runs like it did when he first got it, probably 12 years ago at this point (looks brand new also, he keeps it clean). If you're not a professional, there's really no need to spend a ton of money, because odds are you won't be using and abusing your equipment all that much, especially if your property is small.

Maybe tomorrow I'll post a picture of my mower to show just how screwed up that thing is lol... still works fine though.

Depending on lot size, a sears mower is fine. They have either honda or briggs engines, easy to get service/ parts anywhete.

mine is 8 years old, change the oil 1 a year. Start first pull EVERY TIME..

DO NOT go electric for a trimmer. Been there done that, hated it.

If you want a backpack blower, Redmax. Drive around look at what the pro lanscapers use.

I can blow a brick down my driveway with mine.

The mower depends on your lot size.    I have a cheapo 22' Murray for my 75'x75' grass plot.  I changed the oil once in 9 years and I don't bother to treat the gas and it still works.  go figure.

I've been through 3 electric trimmers in 18 years.  They generally suck and they all siezed or completely broke after 3-4 years.  I finally bought a stihl 2 stroke and it's been a blessing.

I tried several toro electric blowers over the years, and someone gave me a gas Craftsman blower.  I finally junked all that stuff for a Redmax I bought on Craigslist for $200.  What used to take a forever with those low end blowers, gets done in 1-2 hours with the redmax.  It can blow wet or dry and push huge piles.

I guess the moral of my story is go cheap on the four stroke mower and go spendy on the 2 stroke utility pieces.

Oh and while you didn't ask, I was given a Poulan chainsaw that was a colossal pain in the rear to start.  I eventually bought a Husqvarna 450 that starts every time and has power to do as much or as little as I can throw at it.

Buy a honda mower. Buy a Echo PAS detachable head weed whacker . You can then buy different attachments for it like a tree prunner and edger.

If you can try and find the mower used. I bought a used Scag zero turn mower about six years ago. I took my time in finding a good used one and it holds it value.

Buy smart and buy once buy cheap and buy over and over again.

+1 for the Stihl straight shaft trimmer, mine is going on 20 years old,  still starts right up a runs great.  And I agree with others on the mowers, that you should go with a Honda, they start right up and run forever, but there are other brands that use Honda motors so feel free to get on of those as long as it has a Hinda motor.  I know Husqvarna uses Honda motors and they run well, there are others as well.

I'd also recommend Honda. The initial cost may be a little more vs what you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, etc. But their power equipment product line is exactly like their cars and motorcycles....very well engineered, extremely reliable. Plus there's an extensive Honda power equipment dealer support network in place should your equipment ever need parts or service.

I work for a Honda Power Equipment dealer and have helped plenty of customers with Honda riding mowers that are still in service despite some of them being over 20 years old.

It's a shame Honda got out of the riding mower/lawn tractor market. Apparently they didn't want to have to cut corners as far as build quality of their product in order to compete with the other brands in terms of price.

Anyone have an opinion on 4 cycle weedwhackers?  Am thinking of getting one instead of a 2 cycle.  Then no fuel oil mixing and I can get a leaf blower attachment for the weedwhacker.

Multi-tasking power tools suck. It never does either chore well sorry to say. Just get a trimmer and a backpack blower, not the handheld blower. 

I have a 1/2 acre and my rechargeable weed wacker works well but the batteries die before the job is done. The leaf blower isn't very powerful and that kills the battery even faster. Go gas unless your lawn is really small.

Honda mowers, accept no substitutes. I got my walkbehind, self propelled Honda mower when I bought my house 13 years ago.  I hate lawn care, and small engine maintenance.

I have performed ZERO maintenance, I have never changed the oil but added more as it "ran out". I do not drain the fuel tank in the winter. I have never cleaned it except as I had accidentally spilled gas all over it and called the gas removing some dirt "cleaning it".  I've replaced the blades twice as I've mangled them with rocks, branches ("Meh, it will chop that up, whats the worse that can happen?")

It still works just fine. This is probably its last year as the deck is now really rusted, with a hole or two through it and my running over branches is now a bit dangerous as I can probably shoot shrapnel through the deck now, but the drive train is still rocking. I suspect someone who could be bothered to actually take care of their mower could keep one going for 20-25 years with minimal effort.

It wasn't even an expensive mower, I think it was like $400-$500 base model at HomeDepot.

So .. buy Honda, just don't cover it with stickers and park bench sized rear wings, that really won't make it any faster. On the bright side it does come with adjustable ride height so you can say it came slammed from the factory.

For weed wackers & blowers - I highly recommend Echo.

I think they are a better value than Stihl and are commercial grade.

Echo is avail. at Home Depot.

For a walk behind - I would go with Honda, but that's based upon my neighbors

who have walk behinds. I have a rid-on and I love my Husky (Husqvarna) it's bullet proof (pardon the pun)

Good luck!

Best push mower you can buy if you find one is an old Bobcat M21 from the 70's. Heavy cast aluminum deck, oversize ball-bearing wheels with grease fittings, oversized push-handle. The metal framed, welded  grass chute is built to last forever. No wires, levers or cables on these mowers. (Ralph Nader would never approve of this mower today.) Sensation is another good alternative for a push mower. Both are commercial grade. No planned obsolescence when these mowers were built. Finding one is the trick.

The Toro or John Deere self-propelled models with blade-brake clutch (allows you to stop the mower to remove the grass catcher without turning off the engine,) are well engineered mowers and what I'm familiar with, but I dislike the array of cables and levers to engage/disengage. However, they're all like that today. These have cast aluminum decks as well. Toro makes a mid-level self-propelled that's a step below the blade-brake model that in order to remove the grass catcher, when you release the safety lever the engine shuts off. (Dad still has his Bobcat, but uses a self-propelled blade-brake John Deere now, my brother has the same Sensation he used landscaping back in the early 80's.) I have a pair of self-propelled Toro's, one blade-brake that's 32 years old, and the other is about 10 years old. Both run well and cut great. BTW - Deere's have a heavier cast aluminum deck vs. the Toro. At least that's the experience I've found when son's run into concrete curbs with the Toro.

For trim equipment and blower I have Echo and RedMax and have had great success with both. (I've had my Echo trimmer for 32 years now. All I do is change the plug occasionally and add trimmer string.)

You know, I love all these recommendations on stuff people bought 10-15-20 years ago. Like you are going to get something built like that if you go out and buy new.

That's the sad part. Things made today just aren't the same. But, if you look for power equipment that has similar characteristics, you'll do okay in your selection. You get what you pay for.