n4p226r

preferred kydex holster attributes

I'm looking at ordering a holster for a glock 19.  i'll most likely get a raven concealment.  but I'm interested in others ideas

looking at it from a concealment point of view.

IWB

cant (0 degrees, 10 degrees, 15 degrees etc)

high shield or low shield

looking at it from a competition point of view does any of those choices change?  

i was thinking a high shield with 10 degree cant would be best for IWB CCW but zero cant and OWB would be better for competition.  thoughts?

I'm looking at ordering a holster for a glock 19.  i'll most likely get a raven concealment.  but I'm interested in others ideas

looking at it from a concealment point of view.

IWB

cant (0 degrees, 10 degrees, 15 degrees etc)

high shield or low shield

looking at it from a competition point of view does any of those choices change?  

i was thinking a high shield with 10 degree cant would be best for IWB CCW but zero cant and OWB would be better for competition.  thoughts?

As far as competition, if you are shooting anything besides IDPA you are going to be at a significant disadvantage using an inside the waistband holster.

im not planning on shooting much competition.  and the raven holsters are pretty easy to swap from IWB to OWB with just a few screws.  to be honest, if i was shooting competition, i'd most likely be shooting IDPA anyways.  but ignoring that.  lets assume i buy 2 holsters (much more likely) what do i get?

I've had great luck with the blade tech products. The adjustable retention system they use is well thought out. 

Where do you plan on carrying? What do you plan on wearing? all of these are important to consider.

I've had great luck with the blade tech products. The adjustable retention system they use is well thought out. 

Where do you plan on carrying? What do you plan on wearing? all of these are important to consider.

I'm looking at the blade tech stuff too.  I'm not really looking for what I should do.  i'm more wondering what others chose and why?

For IWB, I prefer a holster with a high back that keeps the gun from contacting my body at all.  It gets irritating on the skin pretty quickly, not to mention what it does to the finish on the gun.  Also consider how high you want it to sit along with cant.  When I carried concealed as a LEO, I preferred low ride, 10 degree forward cant carried at about the 4 o'clock position.  I didn't have to lift my shirt as far and it was a natural grip position for me at 10 degrees.  That was in the summer...winter time I usually just carried my G17 in a Safariland shoulder rig under my jacket.

Aliengear and you get fine quality with all the bells and whistles. Love mine. Buying more.

I agree I have a iwb from them and love it. I just ordered an owb from them as well. Guaranteed for life and if you decide to buy/carry a different weapon you just send in the old shell they will send a new shell of the new weapon.

http://aliengearholsters.com/index

Yep, their warranty is amazing... Comfy as hell. I don't think you can beat the quality and backing of their product. Plus for $30 the price is in anyone's range.
Here's my P30 stuffed in one...

I agree I have a iwb from them and love it. I just ordered an owb from them as well. Guaranteed for life and if you decide to buy/carry a different weapon you just send in the old shell they will send a new shell of the new weapon.

http://aliengearholsters.com/index

post-5135-0-18530700-1403698153_thumb.jpg

I have a Raven holster for a G19 and it's great.  It's not the most comfortable IWB holster, but OWB it rides really close to the body and works very well.  You're not going to want to keep changing the attachments from IWB to OWB every time you shoot a match; better to just get a different holster for competition. 

For competition you want zero cant and something that doesn't pull the grip close to your body for a faster draw; basically the opposite of what you want for a concealment holster.  Blade Tech and Comp Tac make great holsters for competition.

On some holsters the full shield can interfere with getting a complete grip on the gun while in the holster, but you can always cut it down if it's getting in the way.  I got the half shield on my Raven holster.

Bladetech owb are great for comps. As far as iwb, I have milt sparks. Blade tech and crossbreed. I've been happy with the crossbreed for the glocks and the milt sparks for the 1911.

Crossbreed feels the best for iwb though.