AlDente67

Does anyone need a pool filter?

I replaced my DE filter with a new sand filter that is sized better for my pool.  But now I have a perfectly good unit that just needs to be hooked up.  The fabric grids inside are pretty new for the most part and the tank could use a new O-ring to seal it properly, which is probably about $20 or so.

The grids in these things can run $30 a pop, and there are about 8 of them inside, so it makes no sense to trash it if someone can make use out of it.

I also have the multiport valve that lets you switch between backwash and so on.  Just plumb it in via PVC piping (2" I think).

Let me know if you or someone you know can make use of it.  Free for forum members.

Howard, the DE filter was a bit undersized for a 35,000 gallon pool, and we had a line on a new one for cheap.  I understand that sand is not as granular as DE, but it is less trouble (I hope).

I had a new liner installed, and all new plumbing.  Almost free filter was too good to pass up.

Yea you want a large DE unit. Mine is oversized taking 7.5 pounds of DE for a 33,000 gallon pool. I typically only need to backwash and recharge 2 or 3 times a year and I open early April and run to mid October.

Jg by all means go ahead. I'm closing on a house tomo and not sure about the entire pools status. It may or may not have been winterized last fall so until I can get in there and mess with it I won't know for sure. I'll cross my fingers though.

I went through that when we bought this house.  The pool had been closed properly but then it sat through the summer covered up while the sales process was going on.  Mostly everything worked once we opened it but talk about a giant basin of pea soup!  Took me weeks to clear that water.

DE yes makes the water clartiy better then sand but the sand filter has a huge ease of use when the pool turns green. There is also another type media you can use for a sandfilter that makes the water clarity way better then DE, but gives the ease of use in a sand filter system.

Howard- best thing is what your doing, open early and close late. Most pool owners don't see it that way and end up with hell in their hands.

BTW if anyone needs help or questions answers on pools feel free to PM me or whatever, my dad owns a pool store that I have worked for 10+ years now so I know a thing or two lol.

DE yes makes the water clartiy better then sand but the sand filter has a huge ease of use when the pool turns green. There is also another type media you can use for a sandfilter that makes the water clarity way better then DE, but gives the ease of use in a sand filter system.

Howard- best thing is what your doing, open early and close late. Most pool owners don't see it that way and end up with hell in their hands.

BTW if anyone needs help or questions answers on pools feel free to PM me or whatever, my dad owns a pool store that I have worked for 10+ years now so I know a thing or two lol.

Yup I tell my friends with green pools that the best thing is open before the water has a chance to grow crap and close after it is cool so stuff does not grow.  Actually I usually put the cover on the second or third week in October but run the pump and filter for another two weeks.  I have a Pentair continuously adjustable pump so when I turn it down it only uses around 150 watts.  During the season I run it at about 1400 RPM 24/7 and it only used about 250 to 300 watts.

I also try to avoid pool store chemicals (sorry).  I use bleach, baking soda and Borax to treat my water and I have never had a green pool or cloudy water in over 15 years.

I actually just got a new 21' above ground without the filter.. If your pool is of similar size id love to take it off your hands if available. Im in Monroe half the week so id be close by. Let me know :)

Take it and try.  My pool is 20x40 inground, which is why the new larger filter is in place.  This one should work fine for your pool I guess.  Come by and take a look.

number deleted.

I think we're supposed to space out phone numbers so the span bots can't pick up on it.