ryan_j

How many gun owners do we have in NJ?

Gun owner census  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How many gun owners do you think there are in NJ?

• More than one million
    • About a million
    • Hundreds of thousands
    • Tens of thousands
    • A few thousand
    • Less than a few thousand
    • Other (comment in thread)

Darren Goens was on GFH radio last week saying that the problem in NJ boils down primarily to numbers.

Maybe he's right.

The antis say that NJ gun owners are a vocal minority.

Maybe they're right. 

I've heard the statistic of "1 million NJ gun owners" but it doesn't seem to translate into victory at the ballot box. Attempts to get hard data have been stalled by towns because of poor record keeping of FID cards. More specifically, NJ2AS tried to get the data but towns have balked at the OPRA requests. Weinberg sponsored a law last year that allowed aggregate data to be made public. 

But here's an informal, totally unscientific poll.

I think it's important to know how many of us there are so we can concentrate efforts on outreach and see whether we have a raw numbers problem or a problem of lack of participation. 

Please vote. Votes are anonymous (to me, anyway). 

The numbers doesnt matter (largely).  Here is why:

* There is enough bickering within the gun owner community

* Some think OGAM, PP, AWB, Mag restrictions are all fine as long as it doesnt affect *plug their favorite gun*

* People vote with Union direction

* There is VERY LITTLE population (if any) who are hardcore 2A

* There has been enough gun laws, long enough to make people believe its OK

* Many get old and tired fighting these laws, give up and leave to enjoy the retirement in 2A friendly state

* Many get old and tired fighting these laws, give up and leave to enjoy the retirement in 2A friendly state

Yes, a few of us who plan on going with that one.

But I'm not giving up yet.  While I'm here (for the foreseeable future), I'm fighting for 2A rights!

Oh, and well said sir.

* Some think OGAM, PP, AWB, Mag restrictions are all fine as long as it doesnt affect *plug their favorite gun*

BEST answer that sums things up. 

All that and more.  Most people are not one-issue voters.  Plenty of gun owners put other things above 2A rights when they go to the polls.  If they even go. 

We must recognize that many gun owners are not gun enthusiasts. They don't understand how the 2A applies to them or simply don't care as long as they get to do the specific thing they want.  These should be the easy ones to convert, but every election we see how far off we are from the mark. I do not count someone as an ally just because he happens to own a gun or two.

Great summary and I will add to what others have said that many vote for a candidate that they think will provide for them whether it be in the form of union jobs & wages, state jobs or some other kind of handout.  You might also assume that the demographics of these voters is inner city where there are gang and drug problems.  In order to make it appear as though they are doing something to fight against gangs and drugs these politicians focus on bad scary guns.  Why?  Because passing anti gun legislature is easy even though it won't do anything to improve the gang & drug violence.  And because actually solving the gang and drug violence is very difficult and beyond the ability and timelines of most elected officials.

Just my $0.02

right on the money 

Another thing is for certain; there are fewer firearm hunters in NJ now than there were some forty years ago. There were 170,000 resident hunters who bought firearm licenses in NJ in 1970 when the state's population was around 7.1 million. There were less than 60,000 firearm hunters licensed in NJ last year, with the state's population now hovering at 8.8 million. Is this another sign of the times where a culture of folks who saw the need for possessing a firearm for food gathering or sport is slowly disappearing?

Another thing is for certain; there are fewer firearm hunters in NJ now than there were some forty years ago. There were 170,000 resident hunters who bought firearm licenses in NJ in 1970 when the state's population was around 7.1 million. There were less than 60,000 firearm hunters licensed in NJ last year, with the state's population now hovering at 8.8 million. Is this another sign of the times where a culture of folks who saw the need for possessing a firearm for food gathering or sport is slowly disappearing?

Some of this may be attributed to the reduction in land available for hunting due to development, probably a small component but a contributing factor none the less.

Parker-

The sport is disappearing because the land is disappearing. I was a hunter as a kid growing up; on free land. ALL the places I used to hunt as a kid are now housing developments or preserved land. Old-timers are dying off and being replaced with a generation of kids that do not go outside or away from their cell phones, let alone want to hunt.

Some of this may be attributed to the reduction in land available for hunting due to development, probably a small component but a contributing factor none the less.

Some of this is true. Private hunting land has disappeared into malls, McMansion developments, golf courses and parking lots. Prior to 1961, all hunting lands were purchased with income derived from license fees in this state. Since Green Acres bond money has become available, many of the WMA lands today (now numbering 121 I believe) have been purchased using these bonds. There are more than 750,000 acres of public available for the hunter to roam in this state. There's still over 2 million acres of forests in this state.

Some of this is true. Private hunting land has disappeared into malls, McMansion developments, golf courses and parking lots. Prior to 1961, all hunting lands were purchased with income derived from license fees in this state. Since Green Acres bond money has become available, many of the WMA lands today (now numbering 121 I believe) have been purchased using these bonds. There are more than 750,000 acres of public available for the hunter to roam in this state. There's still over 2 million acres of forests in this state.

I'm getting my hunter license within the next month, but not to go hunting. More to go clay shooting at the WMA ranges.... We can still do that.... :)

I'm getting my hunter license within the next month, but not to go hunting. More to go clay shooting at the WMA ranges.... We can still do that.... :)

I think you would enjoy a morning of Pheasant hunting. If you ever decide you want to give it a try I'll take you.

Is the number of FID Cards issued in NJ available and wouldnt that be a good indicator of the number of NJ gun owners, at least legally?

That has been tried, and is still being tried. Towns are stonewalling because frankly they never kept good records (probably a good thing should there be an attempt at confiscation?)