HBecwithFn7

New Dates for NJ F & W "Hunter Education" Courses

All -

If you want to get your NJ Fish & Wildlife "Hunting License" so you can shoot at the State WMA ranges, they have just announced new classes for the month of July, as of this morning. Already, one class is 10% full.  I'd sign up quickly

Go to this Website:   NJ Fish & Wildlife Hunter Education  and then click on the "see schedule and register now" link.  Registration is free. The license is $27.50 for 1 year.

Thanks.  Looks like they are "experiencing some technical difficulties".  Will have to watch b/c my sister inlaws boyfriend's family has some propertly in PA and NY that they hunt on.  He's invited me so I need to get my hunter's license.  Never hunted before.  Really looking forward to it! 

We are experiencing some technical difficulties. July classes will be reposted shortly. Weekend classes will resume statewide in the middle of August and continue every weekend through November. August classes will be scheduled mid July

Thanks.  Looks like they are "experiencing some technical difficulties".  Will have to watch b/c my sister inlaws boyfriend's family has some propertly in PA and NY that they hunt on.  He's invited me so I need to get my hunter's license.  Never hunted before.  Really looking forward to it! 

We are experiencing some technical difficulties. July classes will be reposted shortly. Weekend classes will resume statewide in the middle of August and continue every weekend through November. August classes will be scheduled mid July

Hmmmmm..... I think I'll call them to find out if my reg. is still valid. I have a confirmation number on the date that was, originally published. They said 07/24 and 07/29.

I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.

Hmmmmm..... I think I'll call them to find out if my reg. is still valid. I have a confirmation number on the date that was, originally published. They said 07/24 and 07/29.

I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.

HBEC

What study material did you use?

HBEC

What study material did you use?

Everything is available on-line for free on the NJ F & W website, but here are the critical items:

1)  DVD Video -   http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/video-audio/huntered-full.wmv

2)  Study Guide -   http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/hunted/manual.pdf

3)  Workbook -  http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/hunted/workbook.pdf

You are expected to read the study guide, watch the video, and complete all the exercises in the workbook before you attend your field session (for which, of course, you can register beforehand). Just have everything completed before you arrive. Your completed workbook is your admission ticket to the field class (along with your confirmation number, I assume :)).  There is a live fire portion conducted at the field session. They will provide guns and ammo (20g) for you at the exam if you choose. And there is a strong recommendation to use their guns. If you bring your own, they'll check it to ensure it meets requirements for WMA usage (i.e. "doweled down to 2+1").  There is also a written exam to take, for which there is a practice exam on the website (with answer key). Anyone with any decent experience with shotguns should have no problems.

A friendly word of warning - The video might be a bit painful to watch. It's 3.5 hours long, And the "director" of the video was, apparently, appealing to the "lowest common denominator" in re: intelligence when filming it.  Hence,  as you get into it,   You.... willl.... encounter.......... everyone..... speaking........ veeeeeerrrrrryyyyyy...... slooooowwwwllllyyyyyy...... sooooo..... thaaaaaaat...... everyyyyyone...... understaaaaaaands......  :facepalm:

Also, be advised that portions of the video involve live demonstrations for "field dressing" several different animals. NSFW, if that kinda stuff makes you a bit queasy.  Then again, if it does, it's probably not advisable to take up hunting anyway... :)

or http://www.huntercourse.com/usa/newjersey/?gclid=CjgKEAjw8r6dBRDZprbmndPi90sSJAB2U6dRaIUcKkLN1fDwMt-59VMrSICOGs7kggsGqtLnljebTvD_BwE

pay the fee after you pass the online test and skip the 1.5-2hr remedial class stuff on field day and go right to the practical and written part.

or http://www.huntercourse.com/usa/newjersey/?gclid=CjgKEAjw8r6dBRDZprbmndPi90sSJAB2U6dRaIUcKkLN1fDwMt-59VMrSICOGs7kggsGqtLnljebTvD_BwE

pay the fee and skip the 1.5hr remedial class stuff on field day and go right to the practical and written part.

Yeah, I passed on this.... my attempt at "economizing" I guess.... :dontknow:

I'll slog through the free stuff....  :D  I'm almost done with it anyway...

Lol the video is designed for kids 10 years old to understand that's why its in such an elementary format. Better off not bringing your gun use theirs. If you do bring your own leave your ammunition at home they get bent out of shape if you have a pocket full of shells. The live fire exercise has zero to do with hitting your target, its only a demonstration of safe gun handling. You still pass even if you miss all three clay birds. Should you choose to take the Archery section of the test. It is a test of accuracy. You must put 3 arrows in a 10" circle on the target. cross bows are allowed for archery test, you must provide your own bow.

That's how I got my nephew in, he was still 9. Wouldn't be 10 for another week. The last class in Nov was a week before his birthday. The online system wouldn't let me register him until he was ten, I just brought him they let him take the test and I took him for his license on his birthday. They told me they never turn away walk in's also. Especially if they're kids.

Just curious if you think there's any benefit to doing the field walk for a novice hunter. I originally didn't have an interest in hunting (just wanted to use the WMA ranges), so I did the online course to skip the field walk. But now I'm getting into hunting and I'm wondering if I should have done the field walk anyways.

Just curious if you think there's any benefit to doing the field walk for a novice hunter. I originally didn't have an interest in hunting (just wanted to use the WMA ranges), so I did the online course to skip the field walk. But now I'm getting into hunting and I'm wondering if I should have done the field walk anyways.

Interesting... I think I may do the walk as well, for that very reason... :)

The walk is about demonstrating safe gun handling practices for the most part. They also give some info on tree stand safety and harnesses, blood tracking, field dressing game, What type of equipment to pack during your hunt, how to properly preserve your game immediately after harvest, basic ethical hunting practices, animal sex identification, distance judging, animal body kill zone locations. They give out a bunch of wooden guns that you hold during the lecture while walking, the idea is to correct any muzzle sweeping mistakes. Also how to properly cross a fence line, seems many people shoot themselves while doing that. The walk through has some good information if you plan to take to the field and hunt, or could be beneficial if God forbid you ever found yourself in a survival situation. Some things may have been added since I last took the course in 1987 when I was 10. when I took Hunter Ed it was a three day event, two evenings of lecture and written test, and one Saturday morning for the walk through and clay shoot. I think the new condensed version is designed well and attracts more people due to only taking a few hours instead of days.

Update: The technical difficulties have been resolved!   The classes for July are back on the website.  The 07/24 class still has about 20 slots left.

Signed up for the 9/7 class at Clinton/Hampton.

HBecwithFn7 - did you take the class yet?  How was the field walk?  Worth it or should I pay the $25 to do it online and skip it?  I intend to only go with an experienced hunter(s) my first few hunts.

So all the study material is online.  Read it, watch it, etc and complete the workbook.  Bring work book with you and take test and show you know how to use a shotgun.  After you pass everything what happens?  They give you a certificate and you take certificate to a designated place/retailer to purchase license?

Signed up for the 9/7 class at Clinton/Hampton.

HBecwithFn7 - did you take the class yet?  How was the field walk?  Worth it or should I pay the $25 to do it online and skip it?  I intend to only go with an experienced hunter(s) my first few hunts.

So all the study material is online.  Read it, watch it, etc and complete the workbook.  Bring work book with you and take test and show you know how to use a shotgun.  After you pass everything what happens?  They give you a certificate and you take certificate to a designated place/retailer to purchase license?

I did the field walk this past weekend and I thought it was worth it. The test was pretty easy a lot of common sense stuff and if you watched the video and did the workbook you should pass no problem.

Anyone have any idea if someone a firearms hunter education course will be added in August? I need to complete one in advance of the September goose season.

From the schedule, it looks like they're all filled up for August, probably because of the Sept. Goose season.  The next class at Clinton is 09/07, but only one spot is open as of now. The next one after that is 09/28.    Not sure if they'll add another..... I'd call the number.

From the schedule, it looks like they're all filled up for August, probably because of the Sept. Goose season. The next class at Clinton is 09/07, but only one spot is open as of now. The next one after that is 09/28. Not sure if they'll add another..... I'd call the number.

Doesn't matter, just show up with your completed workbook and they will take you as a "walk in" to any class. They never turn people away, even without an appointment trust me on this one. I know a few Hunter Ed instructors, they confirmed this.

Better get on it goose opens up on the 15th! I would start checking post offices now for a federal migratory bird stamp, seem to be difficult to come by this year for some reason.

Just thought I'd share I got my hunting license today at Clinton wma. I only did firearms not bow. The instructors were great over 100 people showed up. Just personal experience bringing your own firearm was not a big deal at all. Instructors did a very quick check and they were off shooting. Often the slower part was people getting ready and fiddling with the unfamiliar controls. They provided nice semi auto 20 gaged. A lot if fun overall and more family friendly then I would have thought.

Thanks for the heads up. I called the Hunter Education line, but it wasn't very helpful. The woman on the line told me to look at the website and lectured me about not being guaranteed to get in as a walk-in.

The full classes seem to get pulled from the website pretty quickly, so I'm hoping someone knows about a firearms session before September other than the one three hours away in Salem, NJ (on the Delaware border).