Veteran USMC

Need Help Selecting a 9mm Handgun

Need help in selecting a 9mm handgun for both plinking and an addition to my home defense system!  I have small to medium hands & am willing to spend up to $850!  (1) reliability is a must (2) consistant trigger pull from 4.5 to 5.5lbs --I held a Beretta 92f but didn't like the trigger because it isn't consistant(1st pull is DA 2nd. pull is SA.).

Thanks for your time & attention.  Semper Fi!

Don't knock the Glock 17 off your list. I have men's size small hands (Oakley/Mechanix/Ironclad/Blackhawk gloves), and the longer grip of the 17 is more comfortable for me than my 19 is.

But definitely listen to what the other guys also said; you're looking for a DAO (double-action-only) and/or striker fired. Good luck. The important thing is to have a list of what may be compatible, then physically try them out. Shoot them if you can, but at minimum figure out which one has the best fit for your hands.

If you can find one, the HK VP9 should also fit your criteria.  With its adjustable backstrap and side panel you can set it up for small hands and it is a consistent striker fire trigger pull of around 5.5 lbs or less.  I asked my LGS to get one for me so I think I'm first on their waiting list.

What effect do DAO, DA/SA, and SAO have on reliability?

My two SAO guns have both given me ejection problems, whereas my two DA/SA pistols have never had a single failure of any kind.

P.S. I am also in shopping mode for a 9mm. I would consider a moonclip fed revolver. In fact I'll probably get one of each. 

You can never go wrong with a Glock 9mm, basic, reliable, good deals available, lots of aftermarket toys. Easy to give it your own trigger job, just by watching Youtube videos.

So, given you are crossing SA/DA off your list, there are lots of choices for DAO.. 

Glock

S&W M&P 9

Walther PPQ

FNS-9

H&K VP9 (just released)

Ruger SR9

Those are a small sampling (but seemingly the more popular) full sized models..  You have a ton of compacts as well..   Too many to list...

There are lots of excellent choices in this category.  I suggest going to the range and trying out every choice you can.  It seems to me the home defense part of your choice requires a gun with absolutely no feeding problems, but with 9mm there are still plenty of those.  Next would be capacity and for that I would defer purchase until Christie decides to either sign or veto the mag limit bill on his desk now.

My favorite is Glock but that doesn't have to be your favorite.  The choice between the G17 and G19 should be based on how well you can hit the target.  With a G4 you can leave the backstrap off if your handsize is that small.  You could even consider a G34 since we aren't concerned with concealment, but they can be hard to find.  You can add night sights to a brand new Glock and stay within your budget.  On the other hand there are so many excellent choices that it is hard to skip the step of trying everything you can lay your hands on before making your purchase.

A few guns I have experience with:

Walther PPQ - At the risk of sounding like a mindless lemming, I would also urge you to put a PPQ at the top of your list. Maintains an ergonomic feel with the smallest backstrap and allows easy reach to the trigger with short fingers. Additionally, the slide release extends backwards making it easy to reach for those with short thumbs. Trigger is definitely good, but for my personal taste, maybe a bit too good for an HD gun. IMHO, of course.

S&W M&P9mm - Has interchangeable backstraps, but the feel with the smallest backstrap installed is much less ergonomic and different grip angle compared to med/large. I find the reset to be obnoxiously long, but I understand an aftermarket trigger (if you want to go to the trouble and expense of adding one) changes the feel dramatically.

Glock 19 - If reach to the trigger is important, I feel its a bit easier with the Gen 4. Very easy to find find aftermarket accessories or buy stuff used. The last Gun for Hire class I took with 12 students, there were 9 glocks, and 6 were Glock 19s. I personally don't like the feel of Glocks, but there are obviously a lot of people that feel differently. Comes from the factory with 15 round mags, unlike the Glock 17 or 34 where you will have to get 10 round mags or have higher capacity mags pinned to 15 rounds.

Springfield XD9 - This was my first gun and I have a bit of a soft spot for it. Very managable reach to the trigger with short hands, but slide release is a bit far forward if you have short thumbs. I need to use my weak hand to manually pull the slide back to put the gun into battery. Note 15 round mags have been discontinued (but can be ocassionally be tracked down), so like with longer barrel glocks, you will either have to get 10 round mags or arrange to have larger capacity mags pinned to 15 rounds. Also, the trigger on brand new guns will seem heavy, but will lighten up after a couple hundred rounds.

well you can certainly put a 9mm round in the chamber. it won't go well if it does ignite. :D

yea... I brain farted in the 9mm part. so strike that from the list. add P2000 or P2000SK depending on your "needs" and "feelings."

My customers input.

MP9 Both Shield (390.00) and Full size (500.00 for the standard and about 625.00 for the range and carry kit )- Great guns but most people add the apex trigger kit and then consider it perfect. The shield is great for a small handed shooter and can be concealed if you ever plan to get a CCW out of state.

PPQ M1 - (below 600.00)Great Shooter and Trigger is perfect as is.  The M1 Has the paddle mag release which most list but the M2 has the standard button release.

Beretta 92 (depending on model below 550.00 +-) series is great but the hand grip is sorta thick.. you might want to hold one and see how it feels, The gun itself is fantastic.

Glock19 gen 4 (525.00) - Medium side hand grip and good shooter but its ugly :)

CZ75 Series (Varies a lot figure 550.00 - 675.00) - Great feed back from customers again the hand grip is sorta medium and its an all steel frame which is a plus to a lot of shooters. Very reliable.

I would have recommended the Sig p226 (easy 850.00) but the hand grip maybe a bit thick.

Some things to consider is mag capacity ( some of these guns require modification of the magazines which was included in my estimated pricing)

Its always best to hold the gun and fire it if at all possible...

Remixer left out the CZ 75 P01. Slightly smaller than a full size 75B but not too small. I would look closely at the CZs. Very reliable, very accurate and reasonably priced.

The newer P01 went through a slew of tests to earn NATO designation. It has a 14 or 10 round magazine so no need (at least currently) to have mags worked on to make NJ legal.

You hardly hear anyone ever say anything bad about a CZ. After all the praises the most common comment I've read is, "I wish I had never sold mine".

I've tried the PPQ. It is very nice but I found the trigger to be very light.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up getting.

Take a look at the Glock 17/19, Walther PPQ, or M&P9. All of these guns will greatly benefit from better sights (especially the Glock), so definitely plan about $50-100 in your budget for that. In my opinion, the M&P really could use the Apex kit too to make the trigger more user friendly.

If you can wait a little bit, check out the new HK VP9, which should be hitting stores sometime this summer. From all reports, this pistol has the potential to be the best out of the box 9mm there is today!

Remixer left out the CZ 75 P01. Slightly smaller than a full size 75B but not too small. I would look closely at the CZs. Very reliable, very accurate and reasonably priced.

The newer P01 went through a slew of tests to earn NATO designation. It has a 14 or 10 round magazine so no need (at least currently) to have mags worked on to make NJ legal.

You hardly hear anyone ever say anything bad about a CZ. After all the praises the most common comment I've read is, "I wish I had never sold mine".

I've tried the PPQ. It is very nice but I found the trigger to be very light.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up getting.

You are correct!