LorenzoS

I got out. You should too.

Friends,

It’s now just over a month since I moved to Colorado.  I can’t tell you how liberating it feels to be free of the nonsense I endured back in NJ.  Liberating, as in “liberty.”   it’s something you really don’t get just by visiting, you need to stake out a home to really feel that peace of mind.  I’ve maybe been a bit too preachy recently cajoling you all into giving up on the lost cause that is New Jersey.  My intent is not to be abrasive, but to hopefully get some of you to wake up into a reality check. 

Gun rights are done for in NJ and the prospect for improvement is so slim as to be borderline delusional to hold out hope.  The population of NJ hates guns and hates gun owners.  There will be an annual tide of gun control bills again and again.  Even with the most heroic efforts of NJ2AS and NJRPC, victory will be defined as slowing but never defeating that tide.  Occasionally there will be trivial “victories” such as getting towns to reduce the number of forms for an application that give false hope like the occasional win at a slot machine.  But like a slot machine this game is rigged in favor of the house and it’s a losing game for you.  Perhaps the saddest recent developments are the instances of infighting among gun rights advocates over which is the worst of NJ’s oppressive laws.  Like rats in a cage.  The only rational answer is to get the hell out of the cage.

And even there were a 2A miracle and the entire gun law scheme were rewritten, what exactly are you left with in this state?  Crushing state debt, punishing taxes, crumbling infrastructure and a population that believes the answer to every problem is government money or a new law.  It’s just going to get worse as people like me leave, there will be fewer and fewer contributors supporting more and more takers. 

I know moving is not easy but people relocate all the time under difficult circumstances.  People lose jobs, endure disasters and are forced to stake out lives elsewhere.  So I urge you to ask yourself, how bad does it have to get before it’s bad enough to leave?  It’s only a matter of time before the state reaches that point.  The sooner you move the less time you endure this place and the sooner you can start enjoying a better life.

There are plenty of great places in America where life is good.  Spend some time visiting those places and think hard about what type of place makes you happy.  Then make a plan and follow through on your own timeline instead of waiting for things to get bad enough to force you out. 

Best of luck to you all,

Lorenzo

My plan is to exit this stinking hole in the next 2 years.  It has little to do with 2A issues, I'm just tired of it all.  The issues you noted as well as the materialism and rapid erosion of the values I care about.  I've lived here my whole life and it simply is not the place I grew up in.  Overall, the people are becoming ruder, pushier and more self-absorbed by the day.  There are still good people here, but they have become more the exception than the rule.

Enjoy the beautiful state of Colorado.  It's on my list, but career will probably send me to the Carolinas. 

You don't have liberty until you own bayonet lugs and new production 30 round mags.. Sorry...

I agree here.

Also CO used to be my top destination to move too. Was looking into transferring with my job. Then they got smacked by the dems and I started looking into the state more. It's becoming like NJ.

It is however a great state for outdoor stuff. Also nice and laid back. Too bad the CA transplants ruined it.

Im happy for you and I understand what your saying. While I don't disagree with you, we need to consider that for some people moving is out of the question right now. No matter what the reason may be, its just not in the cards unless your job allows for that type of move or your retired, etc.. I am hoping my job officially opens positions in Tampa Florida,  I was already told i'm eligible. The timing and probability of this is up in the air.........for now i wait. So, I can get on board with "escape now!", but Its certainly not all that easy.

You don't have liberty until you own bayonet lugs and new production 30 round mags.. Sorry...

Ha, yes I figured that would be a reaction.  Couple points.

First, there are many factors that go into finding a place to live besides an NRA ranking.  Never did I suggest people should leave NJ for CO, but to think hard about what place makes you happy  Maybe it's Vermont, maybe it's Texas, for me it was Colorado. 

Second, lets compare the 15 round limit in NJ and CO.

In NJ:

1. Violation is a 2nd degree felony with more jail time than assault with a deadly weapon

2. Venomously enforced by law enforcement and judiciary looking to set an example out of gun criminals

3. Likely to move to 10 soon, with 5 on the table.

In CO:

1. Violation is a ticket

2. The Sheriffs Association and many law enforcement agencies already declared they will ignore the law

3. Reasonable chances of being reversed.

And if we look beyond the 15 round limit, once my permit arrives in a few weeks I can carry concealed, while drinking, while smoking weed, in a bar in the airport.  I can also buy a Class III weapon and text you about it while driving a motorcycle without a helmet. And while I would not choose to do all those things at the same time I have the freedom to make that choice.  Feels pretty good to me.

No place is perfect, but I'm happy here and glad I moved. The point is that if you're sick of New Jersey, stop shoveling sand against the tide and complaining.  Focus your efforts on finding a better life.

I've lived here my whole life and it simply is not the place I grew up in.   

It is hard to remember that there was a time before race riots, illegal aliens and utterly lawless politicians.

Good luck, Lorenzo - many of us will follow when we get the chance.

Respect2A, on 30 Jun 2014 - 2:34 PM, said:

I agree here.

Also CO used to be my top destination to move too. Was looking into transferring with my job. Then they got smacked by the dems and I started looking into the state more. It's becoming like NJ.

It is however a great state for outdoor stuff. Also nice and laid back. Too bad the CA transplants ruined it.

Yeah, you got that right. Give them 20 years, that state will be an "Eastern" Kalifornia.............

I plan on getting out of NJ, but I won't be going West.

Congrats on the move. Colorado is a beautiful place. I agree no place is perfect but you make the best of it. While I like a lot of things about nj, the majority of the things I care about are eroding before my eyes. I'm working an exit strategy at this time.

I have been debating between SC/NC and NH.

I had the same debate with myself.  I decided to move to SC, once I get my house established I can probably buy a decent amount of land in NH with the lower cost of living!

OP, the best feeling I had, and I'm sure you will too, is stopping for lunch after going to the gun range and NOT being a criminal!