seamusSU

Camera recommendations?

I just ordered the Nikon 1 and it should be here by Thursday with the free next day shipping. I'm looking forward to testing it out and getting it set up for my parents.

More importantly I can't wait to see the pictures when they get back.

Get high quality cards, not the cheap crap.  Sandisk Extreme or Ultra, esp if they will take any video.  I suggest more smaller cards than fewer larger cards.  Cards can go bad, why risk losing lots of pictures when one card with everything craps out.  Plus, smaller cards cost less per meg.

I see the camera can shoot jpeg and raw.  If it can do both at once (some can some can't) I suggest with memory as cheap as it is to set it up to shoot both. They don't even need to know about the raw.  But if they get a spectacular shot or two raw will give you latitude to more processing on it and make it truly great.  

Use the best quality (SanDisk) card that Nikon SAYS you can use with that camera.   Sometimes cameras can't use a 'faster' card than those tested by the manufacturer for THAT camera.

I just ordered the Nikon 1 and it should be here by Thursday with the free next day shipping. I'm looking forward to testing it out and getting it set up for my parents.

More importantly I can't wait to see the pictures when they get back.

That is a nice gift :) I hope they have a wonderful trip!

I was going to make a suggestion yesterday, but got to busy at work. And I see yo got something already. But, in case anyone else is looking.

I have 3 Nikon DSLR's and a variety of Nikon gear. You get what you pay for. And when it breaks, you pay again because it was pricey to begin with.

That said, the best photo in the world doesn't get taken because you leave your too heavy to carry around DSLR and lens assortment back in the stateroom.

Looking forward to their likes and experience with the Nikon 1.

I travel a lot with my motorcycle and keeping a DSLR at the ready is a pain.

I just picked up a Nikon P600 for my next trip. Haven't used it much but so far I like it. Ideal for me as it has a single, non interchangeable, high zoom lens and - a viewfinder. Along with the viewfinder it also has a rotating LCD that can actually be seen in daylight.

Here are the first couple of pics of my non scientific test.

Sitting at the picnic table at my firehouse. Near the center of the pic is a fire hydrant, about 150' away. Lens at wide angle.

Hydrant_1_zpsafc509f2.jpg

Lens at full zoom from the same table.

Hydrant_2_zpsd7fa86aa.jpg

The white label cropped from the above picture.

Hydrant_3_zpsc4903d86.jpg

The camera was purchased at Costco for $450 Came with a 16GB card but I replaced that with a high speed 32.

That is true, the camera that is not with you takes no pictures :)  That is why I almost always have one of my three Nikon bodies riding shotgun with me in the car.

Your pictures really don't tell us anything as you can't tell anything about the quality of an image from screen resolution on web page one the internet.  I do know I would never be satisfied with the lack of sharpness in the last image, but I normally shoot with f/2.8 glass.  But cameras and lenses are a lot like guns, there are many brands and price points and one for every user.  There is no one size fit all, which is why there have been so many different answers here.  It would be nice if there were a place where you could rent (at low cost) a bunch and try them out to see what meets your needs.  The feel in your hand is important too, much like some people like the grip angle on Glocks both others hate them an like a 1911 better.

It is called a road trip [or two] to B&H :)

It would be nice if there were a place where you could rent (at low cost) a bunch and try them out to see what meets your needs.  The feel in your hand is important too, much like some people like the grip angle on Glocks both others hate them an like a 1911 better.

That is true, the camera that is not with you takes no pictures :)  That is why I almost always have one of my three Nikon bodies riding shotgun with me in the car.

Your pictures really don't tell us anything as you can't tell anything about the quality of an image from screen resolution on web page one the internet.  I do know I would never be satisfied with the lack of sharpness in the last image, but I normally shoot with f/2.8 glass.  But cameras and lenses are a lot like guns, there are many brands and price points and one for every user.  There is no one size fit all, which is why there have been so many different answers here.  It would be nice if there were a place where you could rent (at low cost) a bunch and try them out to see what meets your needs.  The feel in your hand is important too, much like some people like the grip angle on Glocks both others hate them an like a 1911 better.

Howard, my post was not to compare a point and shoot with a big zoom to a 3 pound FX body, 1 prime, a short and long zoom and a SB-900 flash, not to mention $70 filters for the lenses. And, a $100+ kit bag.

I almost always have my DSLR with me, although only a DX 7000 (and a bit disappointing at that) lately it has been left home as it is bike season. That and my favorite $1000 lens is going back to Nikon for a second time because it can't focus correctly.

But, the OP's parents, apparently in the 70's, are doing a once in a lifetime cruise (at least for me it would be) and I guessed a good zoom might come into play considering the scope of the trip. My guess, whatever camera they get will most likely be left on the "green" mode, and the pictures only viewed on a computer, maybe a bunch of 4x6's and facebunk uploads.

That said, I posted the pics just to give an idea of a relatively new, pretty good, point and shoot cameras zoom capabilities. As for the camera itself, there are several reviews that can go into the details.

As to the sharpness of the last pic. Most of the reviews of the camera mention out the box pics at being a little soft and requiring a bump in sharpness.

I didn't make any adjustments, these were from the first dozen pics after putting the battery in.

The first was at 28mm, the second at 1440mm. That is pretty darn good for a compact camera that weighs 1 pound 5 ounces with battery, card and strap.

Both were taken handheld. Now the last pic is just a crop. I thought it was pretty good, considering I didn't even see the label on the hydrant until I took the zoomed shot. The label is about 1.5" x 4". The fact that it can be easily is pretty good.

So, my unscientific test is ended as I have no zooms over 300 to even compare to. No FX cameras as well.

Given the request was for a sub $500 investment, I don't see why there were the recommendations for DSLR's Even the very good, low end Nikon D3300 kit is nearly twice what the goal in cost was.

Now, if I was lucky enough for an Alaskan cruise, I would bring the DSLR and kit (leaving the big SB's home for the more then sufficient SB400), this P600 I just got and a pocket Canon SD780is 

I was not trying to attack you or what you had to say, most was spot on. I was just trying to educate those not familiar with cameras not to judge quality by images they see on the computer from web pages. As far as DSLR I was suggesting rental as you are correct that you cannot buy in that price range. If you are not happy with the D7000 and don't need some of its features the D5300 has amazing image quality

As for older people and cameras well it all depends. My dad is 82 and takes his d90 now D5300 with 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 all over the world on cruises and planes -- so it all depends.

I'm late to this, but wanted to chime in:

I've owned several less-than SLRs, Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Fuji, Toshiba, and Casio. My favorite brand has consistently been Canon. That said, the Powershot G series are awesome, I still have a G9 with takes beautiful shots and my daughter has a G15, also excellent. My son has an SX20 and that is the series I would recommend. The SX series has a super-zoom and a great lens stabilizer system. The SX50 is the current model and would be fantastic for whale watching and landscape photos as well.

Interesting that nobody mentioned any micro four third cameras. Full solution will be out of proposed budget, but they are close to a perfect travel camera systems with outstanding image quality. I carry my ancient Panasonic GH2 pretty much 24/7 everywhere with one or two lenses. It does not take much space at all.
A whole package with several high quality lenses with total range from 14mm to 600mm (in 35mm terms) fits into a small diaper bag with a lot of room to spare.

Interesting that nobody mentioned any micro four third cameras. Full solution will be out of proposed budget, but they are close to a perfect travel camera systems with outstanding image quality. I carry my ancient Panasonic GH2 pretty much 24/7 everywhere with one or two lenses. It does not take much space at all.

A whole package with several high quality lenses with total range from 14mm to 600mm (in 35mm terms) fits into a small diaper bag with a lot of room to spare.

I have been intrigued by micro 4/3 , and some of my peers have done large galleries with them .It is just that I have spent 8 years building my current lens library I cant wrap my mind around a different interchangeable lens system lol 

For the OPS parents it did cross my mind , but I think most are out of price range for something like what they wanted? I may be wrong , prices may have dropped since I last looked.

As far as sharpness , I think web posting has really put way too much emphasis on "sharpness" that oversharpening is epidemic. Not saying you do this Howard , before you flip out lol I mean in general , people are too concerned with achieving a cut out look . Then when they go to make a print any larger than 5 x 7 it looks ridiculous. Maybe nobody makes prints anymore :/

I make prints, have a small one I shot over my bed - its three feet high and four feet wide :)

As for the Nikon 1, its a camera for a market, but is far from a replacement for a dslr.  I recall when it first came out many rushed out to buy it.  Within in a few weeks Nikoncafe.com in its buy/sell section was flooded with so many of these for resale that it was hard to find other gear.  Thus, before buying make sure you understand what you are getting.  I agree it is probably a good choice for the OP's parents, but not for someone that wants a dslr.