Joe P.

USPS Files Notice to Change Priority Mail Prices

USPS Files Notice to Change Priority Mail Prices  14:39

USPS says pricing will increase 1.7% on average; new prices will become effective Sept. 7, 2014. 

• Says new pricing strategy to grow priority mail

just fyi

They should really jack the rates up on Fedex and UPS...they dump so many packages off to USPS for final delivery.  Look at a lot of your Amazon packages for example, you'll see both USPS and UPS barcode's on them. 

I work for USPS as a subsitute rural carrier, and I'm tired of having to deliver so many packages.  If all I had to deliver was mail, and not get out of the truck 100 times a day, life would be good.  I could even deal with ~10.  But it's usually upwards of about 50 that do not fit into mailboxes every day.  Plus about another 50 that fit into mailboxes.  With as many rules as we have, it's a PITA to deliver a package that doesn't fit in the box.  First we have to place markers into the mail for every package so we even remember its there(most routes I substitute on have between 500-650 houses that we deliver to).  Then when we get to the address, we have to pull up, curb the wheels, put the truck in park, shut it off, set the parking brake, take our seat belt off, get the correct package out of the back, scan it, then you realize the barcode is messed up and you have to punch the 20 digits in manually.   We're supposed to lock the truck up as well. Then walk the package to the front door, ring the door bell and run back to the truck, repeating what we did above, but backwards.  And we often get "watched" by any number of administrative people.  Supervisors, postmasters, postal inspectors, safety people, the instructors from the driving school...I've only been doing it since October and I've already caught supervisors and the postmaster lurking around on my route trying to watch me.  I asked other carriers...they do it to them all.  When I see them trying to watch, I'll park the truck and eat my lunch :lol:.

It might not seem like it takes that long, but around Christmas time, one day I had 326 packages to deliver, in addition to the mail. Figure each package that doesn't fit in the mailbox takes me on average about a minute to deliver. That was a 14 hour day..  And a note about that too, rural carriers don't get paid by the hour, we get paid by the route evaluation.  USPS says the route should take 7 hours...and it takes you 8, you get paid for 7.  If it takes you 6, you get paid 7(it rarely works this way).  I had numerous 12 hour days on a 7.5 hour route around Christmas time. 

^ While it sounds like its no picnic being a carrier (or driver bc I have heard similar stories from fedex/ups even though they are hourly) usps priority is a damn good value for the consumer even with the rate hike. I ship stuff to ppl all over the place and am amazed at how cheap it is to send a package to cali on a reg basis.

I did have one issue where a rifle got badly damaged but Im working that out thru an insurance claim.

They should really jack the rates up on Fedex and UPS...they dump so many packages off to USPS for final delivery. Look at a lot of your Amazon packages for example, you'll see both USPS and UPS barcode's on them.

I work for USPS as a subsitute rural carrier, and I'm tired of having to deliver so many packages. If all I had to deliver was mail, and not get out of the truck 100 times a day, life would be good. I could even deal with ~10. But it's usually upwards of about 50 that do not fit into mailboxes every day. Plus about another 50 that fit into mailboxes. With as many rules as we have, it's a PITA to deliver a package that doesn't fit in the box. First we have to place markers into the mail for every package so we even remember its there(most routes I substitute on have between 500-650 houses that we deliver to). Then when we get to the address, we have to pull up, curb the wheels, put the truck in park, shut it off, set the parking brake, take our seat belt off, get the correct package out of the back, scan it, then you realize the barcode is messed up and you have to punch the 20 digits in manually. We're supposed to lock the truck up as well. Then walk the package to the front door, ring the door bell and run back to the truck, repeating what we did above, but backwards. And we often get "watched" by any number of administrative people. Supervisors, postmasters, postal inspectors, safety people, the instructors from the driving school...I've only been doing it since October and I've already caught supervisors and the postmaster lurking around on my route trying to watch me. I asked other carriers...they do it to them all. When I see them trying to watch, I'll park the truck and eat my lunch :lol:.

It might not seem like it takes that long, but around Christmas time, one day I had 326 packages to deliver, in addition to the mail. Figure each package that doesn't fit in the mailbox takes me on average about a minute to deliver. That was a 14 hour day.. And a note about that too, rural carriers don't get paid by the hour, we get paid by the route evaluation. USPS says the route should take 7 hours...and it takes you 8, you get paid for 7. If it takes you 6, you get paid 7(it rarely works this way). I had numerous 12 hour days on a 7.5 hour route around Christmas time.

Waaaaah! I have to work hard.

They should really jack the rates up on Fedex and UPS...they dump so many packages off to USPS for final delivery.  Look at a lot of your Amazon packages for example, you'll see both USPS and UPS barcode's on them. 

I work for USPS as a subsitute rural carrier, and I'm tired of having to deliver so many packages.  If all I had to deliver was mail, and not get out of the truck 100 times a day, life would be good.  I could even deal with ~10.  But it's usually upwards of about 50 that do not fit into mailboxes every day.  Plus about another 50 that fit into mailboxes.  With as many rules as we have, it's a PITA to deliver a package that doesn't fit in the box.  First we have to place markers into the mail for every package so we even remember its there(most routes I substitute on have between 500-650 houses that we deliver to).  Then when we get to the address, we have to pull up, curb the wheels, put the truck in park, shut it off, set the parking brake, take our seat belt off, get the correct package out of the back, scan it, then you realize the barcode is messed up and you have to punch the 20 digits in manually.   We're supposed to lock the truck up as well. Then walk the package to the front door, ring the door bell and run back to the truck, repeating what we did above, but backwards.  And we often get "watched" by any number of administrative people.  Supervisors, postmasters, postal inspectors, safety people, the instructors from the driving school...I've only been doing it since October and I've already caught supervisors and the postmaster lurking around on my route trying to watch me.  I asked other carriers...they do it to them all.  When I see them trying to watch, I'll park the truck and eat my lunch :lol:.

It might not seem like it takes that long, but around Christmas time, one day I had 326 packages to deliver, in addition to the mail. Figure each package that doesn't fit in the mailbox takes me on average about a minute to deliver. That was a 14 hour day..  And a note about that too, rural carriers don't get paid by the hour, we get paid by the route evaluation.  USPS says the route should take 7 hours...and it takes you 8, you get paid for 7.  If it takes you 6, you get paid 7(it rarely works this way).  I had numerous 12 hour days on a 7.5 hour route around Christmas time. 

Are you freakin kidding?  If you don't like it quit and get another job.  Those package are saving your sorry ass and the postal service.  The USPS is a dinosaur and should be shut down.  All it delivers is junk mail and bills - the latter could be done electronically.  The deal with the last mile for FedEx and UPS was to increase volume and defray costs.  If it was not a good deal it would not happen.

BTW this story is just another example of everything that is wrong with government.  What business raises their prices in a hope to increase volume?  Everything I studied in college and grad school taught you have an inverse price volume curve.  If you want more of something, your charge less for it - NOT more!!!!

Usps is terrible. I have occasionally received packages 3-7 days after delivery confirmation said delivered.

Liar. That would imply delivery confirmation actually updates in something resembling a timely fashion.

I get my usps stuff. I've had less problems from them over the years than ups or fed ex. With all of them it all really comes down to where you live and who covers your route.

Christmas deliveries are a pain the the a** no doubt ,  but a drone would make those runs with the proverbial digital smile on it's face .. if the have faces !

USPS sucks so bad it is not funny.  I swear there are days where my carrier works from home ;)   Not that long ago I was waiting for a package and got an email it had been delivered.  Went to the mailbox, searched by the front door and garage and found nothing.  Three hours later I was out cutting the grass and it shows up.  I ask WFT?  She tells me that she logs it all as delivered when she leaves the post office not when it actually gets delivered.  I would fire her ass if she worked for me.

Waaaaah! I have to work hard.

It's not a matter of working hard...I don't mind hard work...it's how we're paid.  If I don't get the route completed in the "evaluated time" I don't get paid for a minute more than that time.  It sucks big time when its christmas time, and you work for 14 hours and only get paid for 7.5.  

City carriers- the guys you see walking in uniforms get paid by the hour...if it takes them 14 hours, they get paid for 14.  Not so much for us rural carriers. 

Are you freakin kidding?  If you don't like it quit and get another job.  Those package are saving your sorry ass and the postal service.  The USPS is a dinosaur and should be shut down.  All it delivers is junk mail and bills - the latter could be done electronically.  The deal with the last mile for FedEx and UPS was to increase volume and defray costs.  If it was not a good deal it would not happen.

BTW this story is just another example of everything that is wrong with government.  What business raises their prices in a hope to increase volume?  Everything I studied in college and grad school taught you have an inverse price volume curve.  If you want more of something, your charge less for it - NOT more!!!!

If all we deliver is junk mail and bills...and packages are the only thing "saving my sorry ass"...then why are there days where there is so much mail that I cannot fit it all into the mail sorting case- the same case that has been used for 20+ years?  Junk mail or not, someone is paying the postage.  

I don't disagree that their plan of raising prices to increase volume is idiotic. 

Usps is terrible. I have occasionally received packages 3-7 days after delivery confirmation said delivered.

This is a problem with employees....the only way for it to get marked as delivered is someone scanning it, and selecting delivered...and hitting OK...

Liar. That would imply delivery confirmation actually updates in something resembling a timely fashion.

I get my usps stuff. I've had less problems from them over the years than ups or fed ex. With all of them it all really comes down to where you live and who covers your route.

Bingo...

USPS sucks so bad it is not funny.  I swear there are days where my carrier works from home ;)   Not that long ago I was waiting for a package and got an email it had been delivered.  Went to the mailbox, searched by the front door and garage and found nothing.  Three hours later I was out cutting the grass and it shows up.  I ask WFT?  She tells me that she logs it all as delivered when she leaves the post office not when it actually gets delivered.  I would fire her ass if she worked for me.

Again, this is a problem with employees scanning stuff, and selecting "Delivered" on the scanner before they leave the office.  It's them being lazy.  The only scans we are supposed to do before we leave the office is an "advo scan", which we do for the Red Plum advertisements, any packages that come in for people who have their mail being temporarily held, and one that marks the packages for our route as "out for delivery" in which we have to also enter the mileage on the postal truck into the scanner.  That's what is called a depart to route scan. 

If people did their jobs as they are supposed to...people wouldn't have half the complaints they do with USPS. 

I understand what you are saying about the averages.  But does that not work in your favor as well 50% of the time.  Like today, there was almost no mail that came and it came very early - so I would imagine the carrier did not work anywhere near as hard as normal.  There is always the option to quit if you don't like your job or its pay.

I understand what you are saying about the averages.  But does that not work in your favor as well 50% of the time.  Like today, there was almost no mail that came and it came very early - so I would imagine the carrier did not work anywhere near as hard as normal.  There is always the option to quit if you don't like your job or its pay.

Just because you got little to no mail doesn't mean it was a light day for the entire route.  Today was pretty average mail volume IMO. 

Some days it could work to our advantage, I don't deny that...but more often than not it doesn't.  Today I worked from 7:30AM till 3:15pm, on a route evaluated at 7.45 hours.  The post office uses hundreths to measure time, so this is just a tad less then 7 and a half hours.  So I was roughly about 15 minutes over the evaluated time today- 15 minutes I didn't get paid for.  Not complaining, just saying...all of that time adds up over the course of a year. 

I like the job, I just wish we got paid by the hour like the city carriers do.  I essentially didn't get paid for over 40+ hours around Christmas time.  But it's another way the post office "cuts" its costs. 

I'm not a slow carrier either.  I often finish the routes in less time then the regular carriers do.  Plus, I try to get done as quickly as possible...I don't think anyone would like sitting in a mail truck for 6 hours with no air conditioning when it's 92 degrees out :lol:

Plode please understand I have no gripes with you, and you might be great at your job - my response is based on what I have seen for years where I live.  I swear my carrier works at least one or two days a month from home.  You would not believe the number of times I get no mail at all on a Tuesday after a three day weekend - how the heck is that even possible?  Then there is all the mail I get that should go to other addresses.  I wonder how much of my mail never shows up and goes somewhere else. A few years ago when I called the postmaster to complain, you'll never guess (or maybe you will) what response I got.  It was, just put the mail back in the mail box and the carrier will get it tomorrow.  I told them each time I called that I refused to do that, that they could send someone to my house that could ring the bell and come get it.  I figure that is the only way to cost them some aggravation and make this problem stop.

As for complaining about heavy package time at Christmas, well my UPS carrier never complains.  They come and play with my dogs, and I have one guy who lugs the 45 pound boxes of ammo and is always happy to take what time he can to talk guns with me.

Plode please understand I have no gripes with you, and you might be great at your job - my response is based on what I have seen for years where I live.  I swear my carrier works at least one or two days a month from home.  You would not believe the number of times I get no mail at all on a Tuesday after a three day weekend - how the heck is that even possible?  Then there is all the mail I get that should go to other addresses.  I wonder how much of my mail never shows up and goes somewhere else. A few years ago when I called the postmaster to complain, you'll never guess (or maybe you will) what response I got.  It was, just put the mail back in the mail box and the carrier will get it tomorrow.  I told them each time I called that I refused to do that, that they could send someone to my house that could ring the bell and come get it.  I figure that is the only way to cost them some aggravation and make this problem stop.

As for complaining about heavy package time at Christmas, well my UPS carrier never complains.  They come and play with my dogs, and I have one guy who lugs the 45 pound boxes of ammo and is always happy to take what time he can to talk guns with me.

I know...I'm just trying to help you guys see the "inside" of USPS. 

As far as not getting any mail after a 3 day weekend...USPS does "load leveling" now...in an attempt to make mailflow more even for us, so we don't get slammed one day, and get almost nothing the next.  A lot of people have been complaining about it... situations like yours might be a result of that.  The postal inspectors can come and audit an office at any time(unannounced) so your carrier could get in big trouble if she isn't delivering all of the mail.  Management in my office is very strict about this- they tell us "bring NOTHING but empty trays, and outgoing mail back to the office".  I personally have noticed that I have been getting a lot of letters that say "postmaster deliver between xx/xx/xxxx and xx/xx/xxxx" and I'm getting it after the final date. 

As far as getting the wrong mail...it's a common concern.  Depending on what your route is like, the carrier might get a lot of unsorted mail in the morning that they have to sort by hand.  Today, I had roughly 500 pieces that I had to sort.  Mistakes do happen, we're only human. 

Typical day:

DPS= Delivery Point Sequencing.  This is how we get the majority of the letters and postcards...it comes in order of the route...for the most part.  We put it up into the mail sorting case anyway, and we do find quite a few letters from other streets, towns, states mixed in...computers sort it..so we have to blame them for that. 

Flats= There is a acronym for this but I forget what it is.  They are a lot of magazines, and larger envelopes.  We get a good amount of these...they come unsorted.  We have to manually read the address on each one, and put it in the correct slot in the mail sorting case.  This is quite a task as we are bouncing all over the case. 

FSS= flats sequencing system.  This is typically how we get the majority of perodicals like Sports Illustrated, Time, Good Housekeeping etc, We have to go along and put them into their correct places in the mail sorting case. 

Then there is whats called "hand mail"  This is all stuff that the DPS machine couldn't sort.  A lot of is addresses with A's & B's (1234A Main Street.  1234B Main Street).  Apparently with all of that technology the machine can't figure out how to read a few letters.  This is what I got roughly 500 letters of today.  I have to manually read each one, and put it into the correct place in the mail sorting case. 

Then we have our accountable mail.  This includes certified letters, registered mail, insured mail/parcels(over $200).  We have to manually fill out a pink sheet called a 3849 for each of these, writing down the sender, the date, what type of accountable it is, the 20 digit barcode number on it...and then put them into the correct place in the mail sorting case. 

Then we have to get our parcels...we have slugs/spurs(small parcels in bags/small envelopes- stuff that will fit into the mailbox), and regular packages. We have to sort all of them so they are in the order of the route.  Then we have to read each address, and place a parcel marker into the correct spot in the sorting case so we know there is a parcel to deliver when we get there. 

After that is complete, we have to check what is called a "hot case".  This is where the mail handlers put the mail that other carriers find incorrectly in their DPS.  We then have to get that mail, and sort it into the case. 

Some days we also get the Red Plum advertisements, or a local newspaper that we have to deliver to every house.  Some come addressed(Red Plum's are) so we have to sort the bundles into the proper sequence for the route. 

I also have to try to look at the name on the case for each address and weed out any that aren't the right name for the address.  Also have to remember separate any temporary holds and put them into a separate bin that stays at the post office until the date in which the customer requests it to be delivered, or they come to pick it up. 

After that is all sorted out, I then have to pull the mail down out of the case, in order.  I pull it down into handfull sized amounts, and rubber band it into a bundle.  I then mark the first letter in each tray of mail, so I know which one to load/grab from first when I get out to the street to deliver. 

If that hasn't overwhelmed you yet, keep in mind the typical mail route in my office handles roughly 550 addresses each.  So you can imagine the amount of mail I have to sort in the morning. 

Then I load the truck, and head out to the route. 

Long winded post...but that's the jist of what we have to do in the morning at the post office prior to coming to your house. 

I guess Im one of very few who finds usps to be a better option than ups or fedex. I get my packages faster and cheaper than either carrier. Only had one issue out of hundreds sent and received.

I personally hate fedex bc of the way they do their hiring. The contract workers couldn't give two shits about the packages and will toss them wherever. We have problems with them all the time at work.

UPS is reliable but also the slowest. The plus to them is they treat their employees well which is respectable of them.

I'm completely happy with USPS. I don't have issues at all.

I was a city carrier and rural carriers, be it subs or regulars, have it easy. I froze my ass off in the rain and snow. Walking house to house and it sucked. I remember when dps came out as I was just getting ready to quit. The fact that you case the dps helps you out. The red plums should be folded so when you case the mail, it's easier to deliver.

I feel for you. You certainly deliver more packages today then when I was a carrier. Getting paid less sucks but you're a sub. To be clear, you're not a ptf not an unassigned regular?

So you get hired for 89 days, fired and then rehired?

I'm completely happy with USPS. I don't have issues at all.

I was a city carrier and rural carriers, be it subs or regulars, have it easy. I froze my ass off in the rain and snow. Walking house to house and it sucked. I remember when dps came out as I was just getting ready to quit. The fact that you case the dps helps you out. The red plums should be folded so when you case the mail, it's easier to deliver.

I feel for you. You certainly deliver more packages today then when I was a carrier. Getting paid less sucks but you're a sub. To be clear, you're not a ptf not an unassigned regular?

So you get hired for 89 days, fired and then rehired?

I'm an RCA.  We're "permanant", but non-career postions. No benefits. 

It's almost impossible to get into the career position as the regular carriers aren't retiring.  They are working until they have 35-45 years in.  I don't know if they are doing that because they can't retire financially, or what.  With most government jobs it makes sense to retire after 20-25 years, financially speaking. 

They said a regular carrier has not retired in the past 10 years in my office. 

We're not allowed to case the red plums in my office.  Direct to the street.  I wish we could.  Having one thing of mail for each house makes it easy to deliver.   Some days I have red plums, "Press Extra's"(these are advertisements for the Press of Atlantic City) and the mail all going on in the truck.  Its like a 3 ring circus going on trying to get all of them bundled together and into the mailbox.  What people don't realize is that the extra 10 seconds it takes me to bundle this up in the truck adds up...10 seconds times 550 houses=5500 seconds..divided by 60=an extra 91 minutes, or an hour and a half. 

I know. When we used to get the Home Depots, I'd get back to the office early to case my own mail. Piss off a supervisor or a 204b and they'd have a router slam your case. Lol.

Retirement in the PO is 30 years. Most guys move to a town close by work. I know I lived on my route and would go home for lunch. It was great.