Sign in to follow this  
big five

What targets are allowed at wma

the clay range is for clays and bird shot only

Shotgun is for fine shot (lead-free at Assunpink; smaller than No. 4 lead or No. T steel ammunition) only. NO BUCKSHOT OR RIFLED SLUGS

The other range down the road---

Muzzleloader is for muzzleloading firearms, shotguns with rifled slugs or buckshot, modern .17 and .22 caliber rimfire rifles, and air-guns in the calibers legal for small game hunting only.

the clay range is for clays and bird shot only

Shotgun is for fine shot (lead-free at Assunpink; smaller than No. 4 lead or No. T steel ammunition) only. NO BUCKSHOT OR RIFLED SLUGS

The other range down the road---

Muzzleloader is for muzzleloading firearms, shotguns with rifled slugs or buckshot, modern .17 and .22 caliber rimfire rifles, and air-guns in the calibers legal for small game hunting only.

I know that

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

no slugs or air guns allowed at shotgun ranges. they are for trap/clays shooting only.

Some WMA actually have rifle ranges (e.g., Clinton) that allow slug for shotguns and air rifles, muzzle loaders and rimfire guns.

Clinton has special rules for targets as there is a risk of ricochet there. follow those rules and bring your own frames to hang your targets, etc.

See: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ranges.htm

Basically anything you want to shoot at target wise, except Clinton only certain targets are allowed to be placed at certain distances. At Flatbrook I use an old Remax lawn sign makes a great portable target. For rimfire I use a steel swinger. Ive seen guys shooting at a pizza box with a stick glued to it before.

I called and asked about Clinton WMA, said they want paper and cardboard as targets on your stands and no objects, Spinners are allowed only at the one designated distance and height. People leave trash on range and they are tired of cleaning it up. Also said they need to update the website with acceptable targets.

I called and asked about Clinton WMA, said they want paper and cardboard as targets on your stands and no objects, Spinners are allowed only at the one designated distance and height. People leave trash on range and they are tired of cleaning it up. Also said they need to update the website with acceptable targets.

This!  You used to be able to shoot pretty much anything within reason (no glass, applicances, liberals, etc).  But they are stricter now because of the asshats that shot practically anything and left it lying there.

This! You used to be able to shoot pretty much anything within reason (no glass, applicances, liberals, etc). But they are stricter now because of the asshats that shot practically anything and left it lying there.

Are you kidding!?!? Were not allow to use liberals as targets at the state ranges anymore?!?!? :lol:

Definitely carry out what you Cary in. If I see people leaving trash on the range or at the benches when I'm there I call them out on it. Police the area your shooting in and don't be a dirt bag. A-holes leaving garbage behind is what will cause the ranges to close one day. I always bring a contractor bag with me every trip and fill it with crap off the grounds, taking it with me when I leave to throw away. If 5 guys a week did this when they visited it would be much less of an issue.

HAHAHA that's funny they are tired of cleaning up the range at Clinton WMA. They don't clean up there hardly at all. Most of the time the trash cans at the clay range are full and are not emptied for weeks at a time. They could not even empty the cans before hurricane sandy and the cans spilled all over the parkinglot, and guess who cleaned that up? Members from NJGF did at the shotgun shoot a few days after the storm. To make matters worse when the 2 shooting stations blew down they just dragged them off into the woods to the left of the clay range and just dumped it there.

Clinton's clay range is nice at least its got trash cans. Black River has a dumpster in the parking lot and people still leave their garbage, just plain lazy. Flatbrook muzzle loader range has nothing. Thats why I always bring a bag. Its usually a mess.

At Clinton, at the rifle range we made a target frame like they describe on the website (I made a 2x6 base drilled in the base to hold 4' steel rods with a 2x4 on top to hang targets. we sometimes hang stuff on strings (like stuffed animals, and other stuff that doesn't break into a million pieces) off that frame as well so that target height is the same as a paper target. that works well if you are want to shoot slugs at something other than paper. I guess you could try cans sitting on top of a 2x4 the same way just be a boy scout and carry out what you bring in.

For .22LR we bring the steel and orange plastic spinners and the orange bouncy balls and put them in front of the 25 yard berm. that is a great way give the kids something to plink for hours. My son and his friends will go through 200 rounds (ouch!) of .22 in the time it takes me to sight in my muzzle loader with about 8 rounds :-)

We too try to carry a lot of junk out after visits as well, people leave lots of crap around and it is amazing how folks just let it pile up.

Been wanting to check  out Clinton WMA for 22 plinking... 

1) How / where can I get the required hunting licensce?

2) When are good times to go?

Thanks!

1) any walmart, dicks, sports authority, most local fishing stores, etc

2) practically any time