DeerSlayer

Got my wrist breaker today!

Yeah I think I'm going to try it once so I know what to expect should I have to use it. But yeah I'm not trying to take on a Brown bear with a fly rod either lol. I doubt I'll take it out for a fun day at the range ever.

If I ever have $1100 bucks burning a hole that's my gun. Probably more fun to watch others shoot it than shoot it myself.....definitely a novelty enjoyed amongst friends. Post a report when you finally shoot it, action pictures needed!

Yeah I think I'm going to try it once so I know what to expect should I have to use it.

As with any other defensive firearm, if you think you might have to use it, you need to become proficient.  Trying it once isn't the way to do that.

I recommend a number of short-duration range sessions.   Don't shoot to the point where you develop a massive flinch, but put enough rounds downrange to be comfortable and accurate with the gun.

I have shot that exact same model and I loved it. Its not an everyday range toy but I had a great time shooting it and I want one really bad.

Too bad I cant bring it to a shotgun shootout at Clinton. I agree I should probably use it enough to become proficient if the situation arises that I may need it. I'll run a full wheel through it and see how my hand feels afterward. I shot a .454 once and I really didn't care for it. I'll let everyone know what I think after I pull the trigger. I want to say thank you again to Peter from RTSP for hunting this beast down for me.

i have shot both .454 casull and .500 S&W and the longer barrelled .500 feels slightly more powerful but similar to my Taurus raging judge magnum which shoots the ,454 casull. That being a shorter barrel I cant say it will be comfortable lol.

I thought it was fun to shoot the recoil is not bad.

i shot one at Brick Armory.  Some guy had one (6" model) and let me fire it.  Recoil was pretty damn big, but now i get to say i actually shot one.  Would never want to own one since it has no real practical purpose (outside of Grizzly hunting?) but it was cool to shoot once

Good Luck with this one,  it's an awesome weapon.  Suggestion:  just put one cartridge in the cylinder for the first go round,  this way you don't fire two in a row through sheer excitement.  I have a few empty cartridges you can have for free if you re-load.  And yeah,  you would gather Godzilla's attention if you shot him with that gun.

I've fished in Alaska and I carried a .41, although a .44 is probably more appropriate.

I know this is a joke, but if you shoot a salmon with that thing and you'll never get it back or anything else you have in the State of Alaska. Make sure you rent a car for this adventure, they'll take that, too. They don't F around if they catch you.

My buddy has one but it's longer, different purpose, not bad to shoot.

I shot the 8 3/8" version YEARS ago when they first came out.  Recoil was STEEP, but it was manageable with TWO hands.  Not sure I could fire it more than once weak hand (if the Grizzly was already chewing on my strong hand side, thus putting THAT hand out of commission)!

In the time it takes most owners of THIS .500 Magnum to fire all five shots at a Bear, I can get a DOZEN full-house Magnums out the tube of my 35 year old Model #29 (with a RELOAD).  And I practice shooting it with strong hand ONLY and weak hand ONLY.  I won't carry a hand gun for self defense that I can't shoot weak hand ONLY!

Good luck with it.  And I hope ya never have to use it while fishing w/o muffs.

Too bad I cant bring it to a shotgun shootout at Clinton. I agree I should probably use it enough to become proficient if the situation arises that I may need it. I'll run a full wheel through it and see how my hand feels afterward. I shot a .454 once and I really didn't care for it. I'll let everyone know what I think after I pull the trigger. I want to say thank you again to Peter from RTSP for hunting this beast down for me.

My pleasure.

In the time it takes most owners of THIS .500 Magnum to fire all five shots at a Bear, I can get a DOZEN full-house Magnums out the tube of my 35 year old Model #29 (with a RELOAD). And I practice shooting it with strong hand ONLY and weak hand ONLY. I won't carry a hand gun for self defense that I can't shoot weak hand ONLY!

Good luck with it. And I hope ya never have to use it while fishing w/o muffs.

In the time it'll take you to get off 3 shots on a charging grizzly, one, or both of you, will be dead.

Unless you're Jerry Miculek. Then you might get all 6 off. Maybe.

In the time it'll take you to get off 3 shots on a charging grizzly, one, or both of you, will be dead.

Unless you're Jerry Miculek. Then you might get all 6 off. Maybe.

Yet it happens all the time up there. Including the one in the Anchorage JC Penny that was killed with a single .50 musket ball while it was charging.

Perhaps resigning yourself to defeat is not the best plan.

I don't doubt one shot from the right gun (44 mag and up) will take a brown out.

But those suckers can close 25 yards every 1.4 seconds. Unless it's coming across a football field. No regular shooter is drawing, putting 6 full-power .44 mags on the moving target, reloading and doing it again.

That's not resignation, it's reality.

In any event, I mentioned getting only three shots off to emphasize the importance of hitting the target with the right bullet.

EDIT:

I bring it up because I recently saw an internet operator explaining that in brown bear country, he'd still take his G20 over a .44 mag. Because 15 +1 and 2 spare mags. Seriously.  

I don't doubt one shot from the right gun (44 mag and up) will take a brown out.

But those suckers can close 25 yards every 1.4 seconds. Unless it's coming across a football field. No regular shooter is drawing, putting 6 full-power .44 mags on the moving target, reloading and doing it again.

In any event, I mentioned getting only three shots off to emphasize the importance of hitting the target with the right bullet.

EDIT:

I bring it up because I recently saw an internet operator explaining that in brown bear country, he'd still take his G20 over a .44 mag. Because 15 +1 and 2 spare mags. Seriously.  

You are supposed to use one, not three.

That's the reason I bought it, I'm hopeful if using it on a brown bear becomes necessary I'm only going to need one trigger pull. If a bear is chewing on one of your hands its already too late anyway. Not to mention being in waste deep water doesn't make running away easy either. But it also slows their charge down a little fording a river to get you. Gotta have your head on a swivel at all times while fishing up there in bear territory.

EDIT:

I would take some 200 grain hard cast full power 10mm loads over 44 mag. In just more proficient with a pistol than a revolver. I'm going to get one for camping and hiking here in nc for the black bears. Granted i'd take my ar too if I was going into the woods for more than a day.