DoubleTap

Anyone Scuba Dive?

Hey All,

As the title states. When I dive the Jersey waters, I mostly dive wrecks. My Father In Law mentioned that he used to snorkel the Shark River Inlet for rock lobsters & fluke. I looked into the regulations and they have changed a lot since he last snorkeled. The regulations now state no diving the inlet May-October between 8AM-5:30PM. I want to plan a shore weekend with the family for swimming & fishing the jetty. I would like to get in a shore dive or two & hopefully grab some lobsters or spear some fish, that are in season of course. We will be on the North Avon side. There is an L-Shape jetty there. It is technically out of the inlet so I don't see the inlet regulation applying. Wanted to know anyone's experience in that specific location, whether it's surf fishing, snorkeling, or diving. I have attached a photo of the inlet, hopefully it's viewable. Thanks to all for any information & for reading.

Wherever you end up diving, make sure you have a float and a flag. I dove the inlet with a group of people within the acceptable time frames at the time and the fishermen all try to cast their lines on you and snag your gear. Plus, based on the tide, you can get pulled out quickly.

Enjoy the weekend, I need to get back in the water. Last year got scrubbed as my dive buddy (wife) was pregnant with our first and there's not enough research on diving while pregnant for us to chance it.

Hey All,

As the title states. When I dive the Jersey waters, I mostly dive wrecks. My Father In Law mentioned that he used to snorkel the Shark River Inlet for rock lobsters & fluke. I looked into the regulations and they have changed a lot since he last snorkeled. The regulations now state no diving the inlet May-October between 8AM-5:30PM. I want to plan a shore weekend with the family for swimming & fishing the jetty. I would like to get in a shore dive or two & hopefully grab some lobsters or spear some fish, that are in season of course. We will be on the North Avon side. There is an L-Shape jetty there. It is technically out of the inlet so I don't see the inlet regulation applying. Wanted to know anyone's experience in that specific location, whether it's surf fishing, snorkeling, or diving. I have attached a photo of the inlet, hopefully it's viewable. Thanks to all for any information & for reading.

I used to dive a bit on the boats out of Brielle and Point Pleasant Beach (the Gypsy Blood and Independence II).  I haven't dived either in 3+ years because I became "full cave" certified and now dive primarily in the Florida caves. But I only dived off shore wrecks.I never "shore dived" off the NJ coast so I don't know the difference between "shore vs. boat" rules. But I do know that F & W dept. rules are enforced on the boats (i.e. size restrictions, etc.). 

Hopefully, the "NJ Fish & Wildlife 2014 Rules" website can help you with those regs....

Hey Wikkie,

I appreciate the heads up on the fisherman. That's very unethical. We all have our hobbies & should respect one another. As I mentioned, I will not be in the inlet but out on the North Side L jetty. I will of course have all the safety gear. I will be diving during high tide into slack so the currents should not be an issue. I agree with you canceling the dive with your pregnant wife, congrats by the way. As you mentioned, not enough research. You can always check with DAN "Divers Alert Network". They are great at keeping up with the latest medical information. I mentioned it to my Father In Law as well. I think I put a spark in his a** because he is digging out his snorkel gear

Hey HB,

Thanks for the link. I did a ton of research on shore diving. I want to abide by all the regs & follow the rules. It's or job of course. I want to keep teaching my daughter the proper ethics in all the hobbies we are involved with. I dove the Gypsy many times. Great crew & boat. I dove the Mexican Cenotes 2 years ago. It was an amazing experience.

I've been diving for decades; mostly NJ/NJ wrecks.  I do like diving shark river inlet--night dives mostly--lots of fascinating critters come out.  Really an impressive amount of sea life there...but I think I've only ever seen a single lobster in the inlet.  They're mostly on the offshore wrecks.  And NJ is famous for it's shipwrecks.   There is an astonishing amount of history out there.

That Jetty - you have to pick your time there. Nice day at high tide and calm would be a good dive.

Long walk with all your gear though. I only did it once from the shore side. too much work.

I have done it from the jetty side, down the inlet and around the end. But I was much younger then.

The water in shark river can be amazingly clean many times through out the year.

The Shark River Inlet is a great dive, especially if you can catch the right tide at night and during late summer - I've seen tropical fish when the warmer water is up here. If I recall correctly it is best do do the dive during slack tide before low tide. The reason being, it is better to get pulled out into the ocean, swim parallel to shore, then back up onto the beach. If you get sucked into the inlet not sure how you are getting out.

If you go with someone who has done it a few times you will have no problem.

As for fishermen.. yeah some will cast at you on purpose. That is why you carry a good pair of safety scissors and a knife. The knife is for if they get angry when you try to sell their lead back to them later, lol. 

Like was stated earlier, this is not a lobster dive. You may find some crabs but I've never seen a lobster there. 

Edit: When I say tropical that just means fish that look tropical to me, I'm by no means a fish identification expert! The only fish I can identify for sure is a tautog because I like to spear them.

As far as surf fishing the beach you are going to have to wait till night those beaches are packed during the day. Not sure if your intrested but belmar has a big head boat fleet if you want I spend a half or full day it night on a boat. I don't get out much anymore to fish but check with MACS B&T on 35 in Neptune for bait and where there are some good spots to surf fish. Also I would not recommend trying to fish the small jetties they are slime covered and slippery as hell so unless you have corkers I would not do it

I've done a few wreck dives with Captain Al on the Sea Lion out of Brielle, very professional outfit. It seems to me that Jersey off shore waters are murky enough; a shore dive has to be even worse. I'd advise to stay away from places where non-diving people gather. It is dangerous enough when you are doing it in a "safe" location with fellow divers.

Trained to Tec 40 and currently finishing my DM. Gas Blender and ScubaPro technician here. So yeah, I dive when I'm not traveling a ton. Unfortunately this year, I've spent 3/4 weekends on the road for work, meaning I'm sleeping that 4th Saturday instead of diving.

No shore diving for me in Jersey, but you'll catch me on the Gypsy Blood from time to time.

PADI certified but haven't dived in probably 15 years, to fat now.  Did all my diving on Cape Cod, loved it. Went few times a week, since we lived there 3 months of the year.

I'd disagree Jon. You'd be very surprised.  Some get wetsuits custom built.  :)

However, health would be the primary concern (i.e. the ability to climb out of the water, onto a  boat with 80lbs of steel tanks on their back, or climb up the steps of a cave/cenote, etc. etc.), after the dive.

To the OP, if you want to dive the inlet I would strongly suggest you stop at Divers Two in Avon and speak to them about it. They are extremely knowledgeable in local diving.

Diving in Shark River at the right times can be a very rewarding dive. And best of all, inexpensive. I have done mostly night dives there. But I have dove it many times at different times of the day.

I have seen visibility at only a few feet and in excess of 50'!

I would not consider it a "meat" dive, but i have gotten fluke, blackfish and lobster in the rocks.

Although I never tried going after I have seen plenty of big stripers taken on spears by those that are good at it.

You have to follow the regs as to when you can actually dive it though. You'll be planning your dive to hit the water about 45 to 60 minutes before high tide. Slack tide, when there is little water movement will last anywhere from 20-60 minutes depending on the tidal flow.

Flood tide - water coming into the inlet and bringing remarkably clean water, and once it gets warm, a few tropical fish.

Ebb tide - water draining from the bay, outgoing tide, will tend to be murky and muddy.

And if visibility is not that great - change you dive outlook. When you can't see more then a few feet, try only looking at a few inches at a time. You'll see stuff you missed when visibility was good.

Been a long day fellas & just got home. I really appreciate everyone's input & advice. I will defiantly look into the local shops. It appears that a lot has changed since my Father In Law has snorkeled the inlet & jetties. I believe the last time he did was in the early 90's & he swears it was rock lobster heaven. Either way, the family is looking forward to a day of sunshine, fishing, swimming, & fun. I will bring my gear & take into account the conditions. I could care less if there are lobsters to catch or fish to spear. I just enjoy being beneath the sea. I'll dive a puddle if that's all I had

The Shark River Inlet is a great dive, especially if you can catch the right tide at night and during late summer - I've seen tropical fish when the warmer water is up here. If I recall correctly it is best do do the dive during slack tide before low tide. The reason being, it is better to get pulled out into the ocean, swim parallel to shore, then back up onto the beach. If you get sucked into the inlet not sure how you are getting out.

If you go with someone who has done it a few times you will have no problem.

As for fishermen.. yeah some will cast at you on purpose. That is why you carry a good pair of safety scissors and a knife. The knife is for if they get angry when you try to sell their lead back to them later, lol. 

Like was stated earlier, this is not a lobster dive. You may find some crabs but I've never seen a lobster there. 

Edit: When I say tropical that just means fish that look tropical to me, I'm by no means a fish identification expert! The only fish I can identify for sure is a tautog because I like to spear them.

Some people just suck, lol. Love the togs myself. Speared many on the Dykes wreck. Thanks again.