Sign in to follow this  
dtown223

Rebluing a revolver?

I'm considering having my 19-3 refinished, it's not in bad shape, just kinda kicking the idea around.

S&W turnaround is 7 months to have it re-blued, so I was wondering if anyone had experience doing this, and who they'd used?

I know this is blasphemy, but as much as I love a deeply blued, highly polished S&W, once you start talking re-bluing, all bets are off. It's not like you can't tell it has been re-done, so there is value lost regardless of what finish goes back on it, so why not something more functional, while still good looking? I have always liked the look of Robar's NP3 finish, and that is what i would go with.

I would only resort to this if the original finish was in really bad shape. What you describe simply adds character to the gun - not a reason to refinish.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I know this is blasphemy, but as much as I love a deeply blued, highly polished S&W, once you start talking re-bluing, all bets are off. It's not like you can't tell it has been re-done, so there is value lost regardless of what finish goes back on it, so why not something more functional, while still good looking? I have always liked the look of Robar's NP3 finish, and that is what i would go with.

I would only resort to this if the original finish was in really bad shape. What you describe simply adds character to the gun - not a reason to refinish.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Pizza Man is not 100% correct.  A quality blue job is not ALWAYS distinguishable.  The operative word is QUALITY.  And you will pay for quality equal to what S&W put on.

Evaluate the collectability of the pistol. Do you want to pump $200 into it for S&W quality blue?

I've used East Coast Bluing in Goshen and been very satisfied.  Get a quote.