Blah Blah Blah I know personal preference.... Want some opinions:

Galaxy Pro 8.4 (I dont like the 10.1 tab)

Kindle Fire HD (Have amazon prime)

iPad(not a fan)

Nexus or some other off name brand

Looking pros cons, mostly for books, movies (amazon prime, netflix, hulu+), a few games.

READY GO!

Kindle is (of course) really tied into Amazon, But it's the best for books.  It's compatible with Amazon Prime Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu+ etc.  Compatibility with some games is not the best but it works.  It's not a fully android device - it's more of amazon on top of android.

iPad is easy to use but expensive.  Compatible with pretty much everything

I like the Nexus 7 tablets.  I have a Nexus 5 - they're well designed and inexpensive.  However you can't do Amazon Prime Instant Video...

Get the Nexus 7. Latest updates with direct Google support. Best features at that price point, and beyond. Google doesn't want to make money on the device, they made it to get android into people's lives. More money that way.

It's great for games (good processing power), as well as YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO. As far as books, it is as good as any other tablet. You can never compare a tablet to a dedicated e-reader.

Kindle is (of course) really tied into Amazon, But it's the best for books.  It's compatible with Amazon Prime Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu+ etc.  Compatibility with some games is not the best but it works.  It's not a fully android device - it's more of amazon on top of android.

iPad is easy to use but expensive.  Compatible with pretty much everything

I like the Nexus 7 tablets.  I have a Nexus 5 - they're well designed and inexpensive.  However you can't do Amazon Prime Instant Video...

I hate that APrime is not compatable with google products.  But I am not sure I want a kindle.  We bought nooks so I dont need a dedicated ereader, it is more for movies and games really.  I have a samsung galaxy s4 phone so I thought about the tablet version. but wanted people with hands on experience plus I trust you guys lol

My wife and I both have iPads (v1 and v2) and use them a lot. We also have iPhones and appletv so it's nice to have everything tied together. Photostream, shared movies, music, etc.

I haven't used the android tablets but I've heard good things as well. It sounds like either would suit your needs. The android is probably a better choice due to cost.

My wife and I both have Nexus 7 tablets that we got last year.  Both very happy with them.  Nice that they get the updates direct from Google and aren't loaded up with extra bloatware.  The size is also much better in my opinion than the iPad as you don't get as fatigued holding it.  Also nice that they are less than the iPad so we aren't as paranoid about them being damaged or lost.

My wife and I both have Nexus 7 tablets that we got last year.  Both very happy with them.  Nice that they get the updates direct from Google and aren't loaded up with extra bloatware.  The size is also much better in my opinion than the iPad as you don't get as fatigued holding it.  Also nice that they are less than the iPad so we aren't as paranoid about them being damaged or lost.

how do you download apps is it the google play store?

My order of preference would be: iPad, Nexus 7 (or a Samsung device) and Surface last (and unless, for whatever insane reason, you actually like windows 8, stay away from windows devices. The OS sucks and not many apps).

I much prefer the iOS to Android, but that is my personal preference. We develop apps for all three platforms.

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm an Apple Fan Boy...

That being said, the iPad, IMO, is the most versatile of all.

I got my mother a Kindle Fire when they first came out, she was super excited. She read one book and went back to paper, until I gave her my generation-old iPad Mini when I got an iPad from work. I've since played with it and found that the touchscreen is less sensitive than the iPad, the apps are less intuitive, and the interface is lacking in many ways. It's not sure whether it's an eReader or a tablet. Real identity crisis.

Galaxy and Nexus, I find the interfaces lacking. Less intuitive than an iPad, but a little more feature rich. 

I've found the iPad Mini to be the perfect compromise. Portable. Able to hold in one hand. (I've dropped it on my face while reading in bed and survived!) With the Kindle App, it's a great eReader, but also surfs the internet well, and plays games well. I travel with my iPad 2 -- not the Mini for work and I very seldom actually open my laptop while I'm on the road. I manage my finances, my itineraries, etc. all from my iPad.

You can do well with either of the IOS devices or Android OS devices (Galaxy/Nexus) but I'd avoid the Kindle Fire (bad interface) and Surface (even worse interface, IMO) altogether. If you want something that's just a reader, the original Kindles are GREAT, especially with the Paperwhite feature, but that's all they do. However, if you want a tablet that makes a great reader too, the iPad Mini is the winner in my book. Just don't try to read in direct sunlight.

Wife had gotten a nexus 7 which I really liked, she eventually got an iPad through work, which she far prefers to her nexus. I took the nexus for a while, but the folks got me an iPad as a surprise for my 30th. For what I use either is great, but then again I use it to come here, look up notes for classes that have online notes so I don't have to print them, and do things like come here.

My computers an apple, hers and work or windows, both our phones are androids. I can use either platform so from my standpoint it's between the ipad and the nexus. Accessory support seems to be better for the iPad, but there's some things apple makes infuriating just being an apple. I'd take the iPad again but then again I lucked out and didn't have to foot the bill.

I've got 2 Kindles (original and a Fire) and an iPad. Really boils down to what you want to do. The Kindle is an excellent e-reader, works seamlessly with Prime, and is "book size", which I prefer for reading. However, the batteries don't last nearly as long as the iPad, and with the iPad I can edit documents and do most of what I do on a Laptop. I use the Kindle when I am home or out and about locally because it's smaller, and I use the iPad (with Kindle app) when travelling for battery life and quick email. I have a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad that makes it the perfect all-around travel companion. I can also use the iPad for PowerPoint presentations when at a customer site. One final thing - if you are a PC / Windows guy (like I am), you will most likely find iTunes extremely frustrating, and that's really the only way to move things on and off the iPad.   

I have an iPad and a Kindle. The iPad is worthless, I barely use it. Occasionally I surf the web on it or use it in a pinch to connect to work via my view client app. The Kindle is awesome for reading but that is it (I only have the base model).

I've used a Surface and it was pretty good. Most of the guys I work with love it. The Surface 3 should be awesome, haven't used one yet.

I have no idea why you do not like the iPad, we have four including the iPad mini, but I hope it is not just Apple hating. :)  Sure it is expensive but it is more useful than anything else I have found. I use my iPad from a pool to do my job. I can run everything I need to maintain our national computer network. I can remote into any server or PC, run diagnostics, use MS Office, get email and texts and have access to more games and apps than I can possibly use.

I have a free Kindle app that lets me read ebooks purchased for the Kindle. I watch movies from all of the services that provides them but do not enjoy them on a small screen unless I am traveling. My cable company gives me access to their programming through my iPad. I use GoToMyMeeting and similar on my iPad and even can receive and send phone calls on it using my company's VOIP service that makes my iPad and iPhone, a smart phone that receives all of my business calls when I want it to. I can also make calls through my company anywhere in the world without having to pay my cell company.

I run a Microsoft shop but when it comes to personal devices, I like Apple. I pay the extra cost because when you prorate it over the life of the device, it is really not much and it gives you access to a large world of applications and content. Even my technically challenged wife who did not want an iPad and bought herself a Kindle, now owns two iPads, an older one and the new iPad Air. I am in love with my iPad mini as I can work from anywhere in the world without carrying the larger iPad.

I use a Samsung; wife uses Nexus 7.

If you're actually going to do serious work on it, the Windows 8 tablets are now under $300. I am seriously thinking of ditching Android because, in my opinion, it's lame and brain-dead. Under Windows 8 I can carry my chess software around with me. The chess programs for Android are -- what were my words? -- lame and brain dead. Plus I can't do word processing.

Can you hook up a keyboard to any of them? I'm looking for a tablet/laptop/netbook to keep up with work stuff away from my desktop.

For this purpose, Microsoft Surface Pro is the best option around. The Pro line runs a full Windows 8 operating system so it will literally do EVERYTHING your desktop can do.

I needed to replace a 4 y.o. laptop around Christmas time and went with the Surface Pro 2. I bring it in to work for work things (full MS Office suite, statistics software, etc.), bring it home for web surfing/Netflix/talking on gun forums, and even use it to take notes in class with OneNote 2013 (the stylus recognition is AWESOME). 

The attachable keyboard will make you forget it's not a laptop, so you can get real work done.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is the Surface Pro 2 screen dimensions: it's kind of a short and long rectangle. But they fixed that with the Surface Pro 3, which just came out (and I plan on getting it as soon as $ becomes available).

I highly recommend the Surface Pro 3

Can you hook up a keyboard to any of them? I'm looking for a tablet/laptop/netbook to keep up with work stuff away from my desktop.

You can use a keyboard with pretty much anything these days. Sounds like you're using it for work.

I've used android and ipad. 

IMO there's more quality software in the apple app store than on play, but they are both horrible messes of very few gems among piles of shovelware. 

Things I would NOT do: 

kindle fire anything. The amazon skinning of android makes me want to smash the things. IMO it is completely awful. 

Microsoft windows 8 RT. Don't like windows 8 on X86, and I like it even less on a tablet. The piece of hardware is fine, but 

Things I would consider in the smaller size:

ipad air retina

second gen nexus (refurb preferred for price). 

the smaller samsung galaxy tab S that's just hitting. Has a killer screen and decent guts. 

Pricing is similar on the brandy new samsung and the ipad, so it's a push. Mostly, at this point, get a good screen and know what apps are improtnat to you and judge based on availability. 

one other thing is that apple seems to have more tablet support. i.e. apps that are either tablet specific, or natively support tablets as well as the phones. A LOT of content on play just uses the android sclare to make it fit, and this often has odd consequences in usability, and almost always looks worse. 

LOTS of great info and input here guys I appreciate it all!! 

First off I should have said my time frame, this is more of a black friday/christmas gift to myself from my wife.  lol she told me to pick one. 

OK I am not just apple hating... I had the iphone and went to upgrade to the 5 when the guy in the store duped me into a galaxy and I will never again own an iphone.  I love everything about my galaxy, battery life, screen, speed, camera.  I like that I can get an 16 gig phone and put in a huge memory card to store all my music and photos and most apps without taking any room on the phone.  I also like that i can go into all the files and add or delete things that I want or dont want on the phone. 

With apple I feel trapped.  I can only get their apps their updates use their programs.  I do not have a mac anything or apple tv or any other aple products so I wasn't sure how I would like the ipad.  I got my wife the ipad mini for mothers day and it is pretty badass i must say.  I love the screen and how its basically smudge proof even before putting a screen cover on it.  its light and fast.  we have been having problems with it connecting to certain things like pandora and netflix but I think that is more of a wireless internet issue rather than the ipad itself. 

All things considered I am looking to buy n about 4-5 months.  I am not sure if anything newer is supposed to release before then but I am looking def between Nexus 7 and iPad.  That is where my tie stands.  I think the nexus has some sort of surround sound speakers which might be neat but ill mostly have headphones on so thats besides the point.  I am not using it for work it is all for play music, movies, books, games.  Maybe some personal organizing like notes, memos, finances and stuff like that but nothing absolutely major.

Hopefully Apple will drop somethign brand new so the still good current stuff drops in price.  I will not spend $500+ on a tablet, to me that is insane.   

In that time frame, check the samsung tables s. Looks like a giant galaxy s5. Insane pixel density, and has ad card if the stats I saw were correct (128gb sdxc support too). The nexus stuff does not support adding on an sd card FYI.

I have a Verizon wireless phone plan and was offered the Samsung Galaxy 2 for $10 per month on a 2 year plan and came with 1GB extra. 4 G and Wi-Fi. I ended up with 5 for everyone in the family. My wife already owned the ipad, we had 2 Kindles, one of which died. We have had them for 4 months and everyone is happy with the purchase.