Kaiser7

Front sight suggestions and tips

So I haven't been around in a while. Last time I was on NJGF, I mentioned having lost my job due to the state seizing it claiming we didn't pay sales tax, then said I was uneligible for unemployment (didn't make enough money, though they still taxed me for it). Anyway, I am now employed with two places for the summer, and have some money.

I really like the Yankee Hill Machine flipping front sight, as well as the Troy and KAC (Though I don't think I want to pay that much).

Now, I want to mount the sight to my gasblock, and use it with my Matech rear sight. I read the YHM works really well, but I'm not sure which to get. My gasblock is railed, and is the same height as my railed upper.

Anyway, if someone could help me out by saying, "THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT DUMMY, IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED" I'd really appreciate that.

I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for or not. If you guys need more info, let me know I want to get this thing on there, as my girlfriend has been begging me to take her shooting again, and she likes the AR. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Hill-Machine-Plane-YHM-9627/dp/B008YNFTGU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MQ0Q6YPXVEJHSWVGH9X

If that's the style you like. That's the one you want to get. Just for shits and giggles you might want to post a pic of your gas block so we can make sure its the right one.

Generally when you see "gas block height" front sights the gas block is lower than the rail causing a taller sight. If yours is the same exact height as your rail a "same plane" sight is gtg

YHM front sights are GTG.  You referenced a "same plane" sight, as Checko noted this would mean same height as the flat top portion of your upper receiver.  Otherwise you need a "gas block" height sight.  A long straigt edge will give you your answers.

Here it is.

Actually, I'd like a fixed sight more, especially if they're cheaper lol. I want metal, I just like the flared barley-corn profile of the sight.

If there's more recommendations, let me know, I'm going to look up the ones you guys suggested, hopefully I can find something used

(EDIT, I forgot to actually attach the picture.) .

IMG_0069_zps24c4fb59.jpg

If you are not planning on mounting a magnified optic then a fixed front sight is your best bet.  The fewer moving parts the better.  You can still use a magnified optic with a fixed front sight, you may not even notice it.  But still, there's just something funky about it.  Red dot or reflex with a fixed front sight is a winning combination for short to intermediate range targets.

EDIT:  As a matter of personal preference, I like the Troy Battlesight.  It has that classic WW2 Garand look that I love.

opplanet-troy-battlesight-front-upgrade-

Here it is.

Actually, I'd like a fixed sight more, especially if they're cheaper lol. I want metal, I just like the flared barley-corn profile of the sight.

If there's more recommendations, let me know, I'm going to look up the ones you guys suggested, hopefully I can find something used.

DD is your answer bud. I also don't see any pic

My front sight blurs away with my 4-12x scope. I do keep it folded down though.

If you are not planning on mounting a magnified optic then a fixed front sight is your best bet.  The fewer moving parts the better.  You can still use a magnified optic with a fixed front sight, you may not even notice it.  But still, there's just something funky about it.  Red dot or reflex with a fixed front sight is a winning combination for short to intermediate range targets.

Scorpio, you know what's funny? I saw your picture there, I'm actually watching Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex right now. Weird.

Also, for some reason the upload kept failing, so here's the pic

IMG_0069_zps24c4fb59.jpg

Scorpio, you know what's funny? I saw your picture there, I'm actually watching Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex right now. Weird.

Also, for some reason the upload kept failing, so here's the pic

GITS is Tits.  One of my top 5 shows.

GITS is Tits.  One of my top 5 shows.

I've been watching more anime lately, been really into Attack on Titan also.  But I also dig a lot of the germanic references in that show that go unnoticed by most of the fans lol.

Trying to find more stuff to watch, I had realized I never really watched much GITS, besides a few of the "complex" episodes about the laughing man case. If you have any other recommendations, let me know. lol--just don't spoil anything XD

Currently on the episode "Portraitz". Like, right now lol.

Oh, also, dumb question, but is there any real difference between the Daniel Defense and the Yankee Hill Sights? Like, is one better than the other?

Yes, there's a difference in quality. I'd put DD parts on a rifle I'd trust my life with. YHM, not so much. My personal experiences with YHM products have not been so hot. One of my friends had a handguard come loose and the barrel nut was found to be out of spec. YHM told him it wasn't a big deal and the gas tube would keep it from rotating. Umm...okay... I've heard some other wholesale-related issues but that doesn't really affect the end user so I won't comment on those.

Also, where would you guys recommend ordering one of these for a good price, but where they won't be fake--I did some research, apparently there are fake Daniel Defense sights floating around.

DISREGARD THAT, PLACING ORDER ON MIDWESTPX.COM. Didn't even think of that lol

DISREGARD THE DISREGARDING, apparently MidwestPX is out of stock. Oh well.
I got lucky that my Matech is real, apparently there are fakes of those out there as well.

Yes, there's a difference in quality. I'd put DD parts on a rifle I'd trust my life with. YHM, not so much. My personal experiences with YHM products have not been so hot. One of my friends had a handguard come loose and the barrel nut was found to be out of spec. YHM told him it wasn't a big deal and the gas tube would keep it from rotating. Umm...okay... I've heard some other wholesale-related issues but that doesn't really affect the end user so I won't comment on those.

To me bad business practices and sub par quality products go hand in hand

Also, where would you guys recommend ordering one of these for a good price, but where they won't be fake--I did some research, apparently there are fake Daniel Defense sights floating around.

I got lucky that my Matech is real, apparently there are fakes of those out there as well.

Yeah, I wish I had one to sell you but I've been out for awhile now.

http://www.skdtac.com/Daniel-Defense-Rail-Mount-Fixed-Front-Sight-p/ddf.123.htm

Ordered it, didn't think to search for coupons, but I'm also super-tired. Oh well.

Maybe now I can hit something outside of 50yds without having to aim about a foot below haha.

My gf wants me to get it sighted in because she wants to go shoot some stuff soon. She's been begging me to take her again.