Newtonian

Another Victim of Senseless NJ Laws

Some people - most people actually - deserve a break. I know I will give breaks on the road again, I just may be more careful about how I explain the "break" to them in the future.

While I can still be sued civilly, and there is the possibility of days off, I really don't see this turning into much. I may get a counseling sheet in my file (which isn't discipline, just a documentation that you made a mistake) which comes out in 6 months as long as I don't "make another mistake". But, it is still stressful, it is still a point against me in any future promotional processes, and if known by a defense attorney it can be used against me in any and every trial for anything I arrest or cite someone for, for the rest of my career. So it is a bit of an ass-ache and a constant reminder that sometimes using my discretion just isn't worth it.

Do you see the advancement of "dash/body cams & mikes" as affecting your "discretionary" abilities?  I realize that they are a "double edged" sword. They can protect, but also hinder...

Just curious...  :)

She broke the law, I don't understand why everyone here is defending her so vehemently. Sometimes I think our wants for our rights to carry cloud some judgement.

So you feel the law is right and just?

If someone has a carry permit, it's highly unlikely that they are the next ISIS, John Muhammad, Joanne Chesimard, Seung Hui Cho, Nidal Hassan or Manning & Williams.

So you feel the law is right and just?

I didn't say that and how do you interpret what i wrote to reflect that?

My comment was she broke the law. Doesn't matter what I think is right or just.

Should we have equal rights across state lines, sure. But that is not the case here.

A long time ago when the laws changed and made my Colt illegal, I did what was best for me, and the legal requirement. I followed the law and got rid of it. Doesn't matter that I thought it was unfair, unjust etc, I cannot afford to defend myself against something like that.

And it pisses me off that I can now have all the AR-15's and many other semi automatic rifles I want, but still can't own a WW II era semi automatic carbine.

Just because I believe it is unjust or not right does not mean I will chance fate and go out tomorrow and buy a US Caliber .30 Carbine, M1.

She should just stay in PA and they should refuse to extradite her. Why wouldn't a state want to protect its own citizen against NJ idiocy?

Have you heard about PA's AG? She'd fly her back to NJ in a private jet to make sure she "gets whats coming to her"

I don't understand what you are getting at.

I'm getting at constitutional authority.  I'm getting at the fact that just because there IS a law against it, it doesn't make the law right and the "offender" wrong.  I'm getting at the fact that you're trying to throw her under the bus when the fact is that she's being scapegoated here.  I'm getting at the factS that these charges are ROUTINELY dropped for recidivist criminal enterprise individuals.

When "the laws were changed" regarding your Colt, you could have registered your firearm as an assault weapon in the state of NJ.  It's a shame you felt it more prudent to follow the other aspects of the law, but not that aspect which would have allowed you to continue to exercise your 2A rights.

And I'm NOT trying to be confrontational with YOU.

No PTI for Shaneen Allen charged with a non-violent victimless crime yet Ray Rice gets PTI for knocking his fiance unconscious in an A.C. elevator.

Something wrong here?

Ruh Roh!  Looks like Ray may not be out of the woods just yet!

CBS News - Video Released allegedly showing Ray Rice striking his (then) Fiancee.

Ruh Roh!  Looks like Ray may not be out of the woods just yet!

CBS News - Video Released allegedly showing Ray Rice striking his (then) Fiancee.

And now, even more troubles for Mr. Rice - Yahoo - Ray Rice Cut by the Baltimore Ravens and placed on "Indefinite Suspension"

*** RALLY FOR SHANEEN TOMORROW 9/10/14 - DETAILS BELOW ‪#‎nj2as‬ ‪#‎shaneenallen‬ ‪#‎tcot‬

DON'T FORGET - Wednesday 9/10/14 there will be a RALLY at the Hilton East Brunswick at 3 Tower Center Drive in East Brunswick at *5:00* PM in support of Shaneen Allen! We will assemble in the parking lot behind the Holiday Inn Express at 4 Tower Center Drive. We will then proceed next door to the Hilton where will will ask the Governor to intervene to have Shaneen diverted from prosecution and instead placed into the Pre-trial Intervention program (PTI).

If you are unfamiliar with her situation please visit nj2as.com and click on her picture. Shaneen Allen is a law-abiding single mother of two who had recently obtained her permit to carry a defensive firearm from her home state of PA. She traveled into NJ to arrange a birthday party for her young son. She was stopped for an alleged lane change infraction and volunteered to the police officer that she had a valid PA carry permit and had her locked firearm in her purse. She was immediately arrested because NJ does not recognize the AUTHORITY of *ANY* state in the United States of America to provide its citizens with carry permits.

Everyone is talking about the Ray Rice assault case, where there is allegedly a video of him knocking out his fiance in an elevator. The VERY SAME prosecutor who charged Shaneen Allen, (a first time "offender" with no record and no criminal intent), with a SECOND DEGREE FELONY (punishable by up to *TEN* years in prison), allowed Ray Rice to enter the PTI program and walk away free. WHY IS HE PERSECUTING THIS WOMAN?

THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND! PLEASE JOIN US!

Please bring signs that say something to the effect of:

FREE SHANEEN ALLEN FROM UNFAIR PROSECUTION!

If you can't make it by 5:00 PM, please join us as soon as you can. We expect to be there until after 8:00 PM

Thank you.

http://nj2as.com/event-1750103

As Chief Executive, Governor Christie has broad powers to prevent law enforcement from interfering with the exercise of inalienable, human rights in NJ.
nj2as.com

And then there's our buddy Sweeny. http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/NJ-Senate-President-Calls-for-Official-Review-of-Ray-Rice-Case-Questions-Why-There-Was-No-Prosecution-274543131.html

Why isn't he looking into the Shaneen Allen case? Oh yeah, she had an evil gun.

“As Senate President, I have a responsibility to see that the law is used to protect women from abuse, and as a husband and father, I have a moral obligation to do what I can to prevent these acts of violence from being repeated,” Sweeney said. “Anything we can learn from this incident and the way it was handled by law enforcement that can be used to better counter domestic violence should be done.”

Maybe he should be looking into allowing regular citizens the right to defend ourselves outside of our homes.

“As Senate President, I have a responsibility to see that the law is used to protect women from abuse, and as a husband and father, I have a moral obligation to do what I can to prevent these acts of violence from being repeated,” Sweeney said. “Anything we can learn from this incident and the way it was handled by law enforcement that can be used to better counter domestic violence should be done.”

Maybe he should be looking into allowing regular citizens the right to defend ourselves outside of our homes.

I agree 100%, that would definitely be a good move to help protect the citizens, both female and male.

As for the Allen case, I think, as previously mentioned, that if she isn't acquitted, that Christie is going to "save the day" by pardoning her. It would be a good move as a conservative for his future political career at the national level, IMO. The only caveat to that would be if there is something negative in her background that isn't being told just yet. We'll have to wait and see.

High Exposure makes an excellent point with regard to "officer discretion" through the story of his own experience. It really comes down to perspective as to why Ms. Allen was arrested in the first place. Aside from that, I have to wonder if the Atlantic County Prosecutor is just trying to further his career (politically or otherwise) by pushing this or if there is something else about Ms. Allen's background that's not entirely copasetic. Agree or not with our stupid laws, either way, she did put herself in this predicament. Hopefully some good will come out of it and we'll finally get some common sense change to these draconian laws.

I agree 100%, that would definitely be a good move to help protect the citizens, both female and male.

As for the Allen case, I think, as previously mentioned, that if she isn't acquitted, that Christie is going to "save the day" by pardoning her. It would be a good move as a conservative for his future political career at the national level, IMO. The only caveat to that would be if there is something negative in her background that isn't being told just yet. We'll have to wait and see.

High Exposure makes an excellent point with regard to "officer discretion" through the story of his own experience. It really comes down to perspective as to why Ms. Allen was arrested in the first place. Aside from that, I have to wonder if the Atlantic County Prosecutor is just trying to further his career (politically or otherwise) by pushing this or if there is something else about Ms. Allen's background that's not entirely copasetic. Agree or not with our stupid laws, either way, she did put herself in this predicament. Hopefully some good will come out of it and we'll finally get some common sense change to these draconian laws.

As stated previously by several, if CC does anything, it will most likely be a "commutation of sentence," not a "full pardon" (with expungment). Just like Brian Aitken. She may not go to prison, but she will remain a "convicted felon," will lose her gun rights, and will have difficulty finding future employment. Nothing less than an acquittal  or a full pardon will be of value to her, in this case. I agree that she should face some penalty, but at least let the young lady be able to provide for her family. :rolleyes:

The LEO who made the stop had no way of knowing that she was just an innocent little girl who made a mistake - or - was the next ISIS wannabe in training.

Yes, having a gun and a PA LTCF is usually a good indication you might be a member of ISIS.

Discretion in a traffic ticket is one thing, and what a dick to turn that against the LEO.

But, think for a minute, suppose the LEO let her go with a warning, and she drove up to the town where my son works or any other town, and gets stopped again for any reason and now uses the firearm on an unsuspecting LEO?

It also usually means you are going to shoot a cop.

I expected no less from you, Jersey.

Aside from that, I have to wonder if the Atlantic County Prosecutor is just trying to further his career (politically or otherwise) by pushing this or if there is something else about Ms. Allen's background that's not entirely copasetic.

Her record is clean enough that she was able to buy a handgun and get a conceal carry permit/license.  I think the Prosecutor is just doing his job and doesn't want to come across as being soft on gun law violators.  

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

1.  The prosecutor doesn't want to be seen as soft on any level, especially by essentially say that it's OK for out-of-staters to bring their firearms in New Jersey, specifically his part of the state as it's still a big tourist area (for now).

2.  If the Gov does someting like commute her sentence, he can use that for future proof against anyone challenging his commitment to gun rights along with the Aitken action he took.  If this happens, the prosecutor can say, "Don't blame me, I did what the law required.  Of course that's if she gets convicted.

^ I agree.

In the meantime, while I feel bad for the woman, her plight actually helps us.

The comparison and different treatment is delicious.

Woman beater Ray Rice gets off with a slap and this woman, a mother, who's only crime was being in possession of a gun and scary bullets (legal to own and possess in her state) is being prosecuted to the fullest degree.

The anti-gunners have to cringe when they see that.  And they own it.  Remind them of that.  They own it.  They wanted these laws and this is what happens.