Teky0101

Target Shooting as a Church Group Activity?

Hello Everyone,

I was just tossing around an idea about having a target shooting activity for our church. The activity could consist of take a group of people to a range and doing some clay target shooting. I was wondering if anyone has ever put together this type of activity at their own church? If so, how did you plan it and what are the legalities? Our church is located in South Jersey any many people around the area I believe are second amendment supporters. Would I have to put together waivers for this type of event? What would be safe group size? There are so much media attention from Church's today who are anti gun I thought it would be nice to have some support from the pro gun side. Any ideas would be appreciated!  

Talk with the church leaders, and find out if they can contact their insurance company about covering such an event on their current policy. You may possibly have to have an additional rider for something to take place off church property. The insurance agent will tell you whats required as far as waivers are considered and most likely provide a hard copy for you. I'm in an off road club when we hold an event we have to provide a list of x amount of participants that the insurance company needs prior to the actual event date. Whoever is on the official list we turn in can attend. If your not on the list before its emailed your out. I would assume something like what your proposing would be handled this way.

Take them to a commercial range set-up for the express purpose of clay target shooting.  I recommend Sporting Clays, such as Cedar Creek Sporting Clays in Millville.  I've shot there and it's a nice course!  In the shade of huge pine trees you can escape the sun's heat somewhat.  Let the range deal with all of the waivers, hold-harmless, etc.  But double-check with your insurance people to make sure that the Church is covered too.  Get a Group Package discount or some other Benny from the operator (drinks, lunch, a couple passes for the winner & worst loser, SOMETHING). Then you charge more than what the range fee is so the Church can see a profit.  Viola, you have a viable Fund Raiser that's fun for everybody, and all of the mess is left for the range operation to clean-up.

Every year the Boy Scouts shoot a Fund Raiser at Hudson Farms in Andover in Sussex County.  Tickets are hundreds of dollars, include the shells and targets, lunch and maybe even dinner too.  Captains of industry, Bank Presidents, CEO's, and regular Scout Dads all shoot the event.  Scouts make THOUSANDS in a single day!

You can decide what the members are willing to pay by a show of hands of the congregation, then get started with committee people.  If you need more ideas, just PM me for help and suggestions.

Dave

Even though i like this idea , i would take a quick feasibility study of the parishioners and see what the response is. If the vast majority would enjoy a day spent shooting clay's (who wouldn't , i know) go for it .   But.. if they are split , you run the risk of pitting the contingent at odds with each other. Not saying that will happen , but it could , and that would be a shame to have that underlying animosity on a Sunday morning. 

We've done it.  We're a smaller church, also in deep south jersey, and we've taken our youth to one of the members farms and spent the afternoon shooting clays.  We also have a group of 30 and 40 somethings that has done the same thing.  

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.