Vlad G

Obama banned your Kalashnikov (not really)

Vlad G,

I thought it said on the legal to import list it said "No" for Saiga's. Am I accidently missing something here? I hope they are not banned but if they are these bans temporary?

I think its a bit odd and hard to tell. It list Saiga rifles but not shotguns. TBH, I'm not sure what the status off all these are until someone really untangles the ownership stakes of various manufacturers. 

I thought imported 5.45 surplus was already banned.

Jets have been shot down in the past without starting wars. Hell, the US "accidentally" shot one down a few years after Russia shot down KAL007. Neither started a war.

For import. The ammo that is already here is still being sold until it runs out.

TWA 800 is one example.

I was going to buy a couple of Saigas to have for winter time projects, that will be put-off for now. I can always use the ammo in my little CZ plinkers. Bolt action with 5 round mags makes the ammo last a lot longer anyway. ;)

I'm glad I bought a spare Saiga-12 last year, they always seem to come and go around here.

The minute i read the story i ordered them with buy it now on gunbroker. Both the 7.62 abd 12 are brand new in boxes getting delivered this week

I spoke with a seller on GB who said that his 7.62x39 Saigas had been listed for 2 months without any bids, starting price of $499.  As soon as the announcement was made, both rifles got bids and ended up selling for $599 and $620...

yes its in sporter config

IZ132_0.jpg

Even if you did order one that already converted the only thing you would have to toss would be the non standard mag

Its in the sporter config but I would like to have it converted, not only for the look but I would like it to accept standard AK mags. 

Just havent decided if I should go with the more traditional wood furniture or "tacticool". 

Suppose I should go with wood keeping in line with the firearm's legacy.

shQQild.jpg

I spoke with a seller on GB who said that his 7.62x39 Saigas had been listed for 2 months without any bids, starting price of $499. As soon as the announcement was made, both rifles got bids and ended up selling for $599 and $620...

Yup..i went on that night and stuff was still available at regular price. Next morning not so much. Now i havq a couple to sell or barter with at a higher price. Might wait a couple weeks and see what the going rate is on gunbroker.

You hit the nail on the head...

People who never wanted a Saiga will now want one and pay 3 times what they are worth.... Then they will dump them once they see the investment was based on a falsely inflated market created by gun owners who thought they would make bank on selling the rifles at a high profit....   Same exact thing happened with AR's and Ammo after newtown... How about we dont get caught up in the same panic on this one... If you never wanted a Saiga why do you want one today... This is the question everyone needs to ask before swiping that CC.

There are still people stuck with over priced AR's. You see them in the marketplace from time to time.

The best gun control plan is to make gun owners broke by overpaying for something they never really wanted.

Yeah, just like machineguns. All those idiots that bought up machineguns in 1986.

They still make ARs. Bad analogy.

They don't make Saigas for the US anymore. That's not going to change.

Better analogy would be Polytek Legend AKs. Don't see them being dumped on the cheap, do you?

obama is a coward and nothing will come of this, maybe more sanctions. he has been sidelined in all the world affairs.  he isnt doing shit for isreal, iran or anything in the middle east.  ukraine better watch themselves before they get a georgia situation on their hands. 

obama is behind all the right wing nationist bs going on in the kiev govt. we were wiretapped on calls from our state dept disctating the next president, etc. their new president is weak and only the extremists that had huge gains in the elections are pushing the violence so they can kill more of the pro russina backers.  unfort, the real story is being hidden like the rest of the obama scandals.

He'll ban Russian ammo next. Polytek Legend Chinese AKs were banned, then their ammo was banned by Clinton.

BTW, even if you don't want a Saiga AK, this will affect all AK prices. Further, Saiga doesn't just make AKs, obviously, also pretty much the only shotgun of it's type.

Yeah, just like machineguns. All those idiots that bought up machineguns in 1986.

They still make ARs. Bad analogy.

They don't make Saigas for the US anymore. That's not going to change.

Better analogy would be Polytek Legend AKs. Don't see them being dumped on the cheap, do you?

Machine guns and the Polyteks' were banned. These are Sanctions.

So they stopped making Saiga's for the US last week?

Machine guns and the Polyteks' were banned. These are Sanctions.

That's actually a good point. Still, I don't think they'll ever be allowed back into the US.

So they stopped making Saiga's for the US last week?

As far as I know, ones in already in the US that haven't been fully paid for by importers are illegal, not just ones not built ot shipped yet. So, I think the answer is "yes" unless this is a matter of semantics.

My point was simple. The increase in costs will come from those gun owners that never wanted one until the sactions got all the press. I took countless calls during the Panic buy last year. 70% of those looking for lowers ONLY wanted one because they were going to be banned.

If you want to buy a Few extras like BLF at the regular pricing that's cool but i think others that will be paying twice what they are worth are going to fall hard just like the AR market and will regret buying it.

Hypothetically, If Saigas were produced tomorrow in Bulgaria by the same company they would work around these sanctions.

I don't think they'll ever be allowed back into the US.

You may be correct but no one will know until the sanctions are lifted. IMO i think they will be allowed in again.

If O wanted to end those imports with an EO he did not have to wait for this tragedy to happen.

Judging from my experiences you have a 12 hour window to buy things at normal prices before hysteria takes hold in the industry and a buying panic takes hold.

You are so right... when the Newtown shooting took place stag arms had a 1 - 2 week delivery for new orders placed that friday.

then people had the weekend to think about it

Monday it was 1 month

Tuesday it was 6 months

Weds it was No time frame available

Hell it may be a good thing. For Saiga Shotgun the only piece that someone doesn't make here is a receiver. The competition shotgun makers who specialize on Saiga's are already talking about making one in house. There are a number of US manufactured AK receivers as well. Maybe we'll get more cheaper ones. If we can make AR receivers for $50 I'm sure we can make AK ones too.