Boejoula

GoPro.. Who has one?

I'm a GoPro guy... I've got a Hero 3 Silver edition and have a borrowed a buddy's Black Edition on several occasions. 

I use them for just about everything... 

Scuba diving, mounted to my mask or a pole

Riding my motorcycle, helmet or handlebar mounted

Driving on some fun roads, I have a windshield mount

Seeing what my crazy dog does while I'm not home

I take it to the indoor range and use a small tripod

They make Picatinny rail mounts as well. Unfortunately nothing I own has a rail system at the moment.

GoPro just released the Sportsman mount which will clamp onto a barrel of a long gun... I want to try it out with a shotgun next time I shoot skeet.

GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition

I use it for snowboarding mainly, but it gets pulled out for beach trips. I also found it to be a really good dash cam for those bad weather drives. I've seen some pretty interessting stuff.

From a cool guy I used to work with, but he left me :(

Not completely true!

But back to the op

I have owned both GoPro and Contour(which HE now owns)

I have had go experiences with both and the both serve their purposes. Contour tends to be better suited as a helmet mounted/weapon mounted (w/ rail mount) camera (put mine on my helmet at the FD and brought it into a few fires), go pro tends to fit may other difference scenarios better, motorsports, anyplace your mounting on a steel bar...ect.

They both shoot at pretty much the same quality nowadays. In the past GoPro seemed to have a slight edge over Contour, which helped to run them into the ground a bit, but they are back now and quite competitive.

And where would you get one of those from!?!?!?

Roam2

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-ROAM2-Waterproof-Video-Camera/dp/B009CN8VRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405601684&sr=8-1&keywords=contour+roam+2

or 

Contour+2

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-GPS-Waterproof-Video-Camera/dp/B00JZS3K00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405601710&sr=8-2&keywords=contour+hd+%2B2

The Roam2 is the basic one.  The +2 has more advanced features like Smartphone viewfinder, GPS, etc.

I've got a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition and got a head strap for it on Amazon and use it quite often to film my shooting at IDPA and USPSA matches.  Works very well with great quality.  You can review and control it from your cell phone too, so really no need to buy the extra cost back that lets you view stuff.

News to me if it does, have not seen any setting on my unit for that.

I'm pretty sure that's what he said but I could be wrong. Its not a 3+.

I'm still torn between the two now. Still thinking the GoPro though because it will be used for more than just bringing to the range

I also have the roam2. The Go pro for anything but connecting to a rifle seems like the future, so many mounts, the iphone control / view. I still wonder what I will do when my roam stops holding a charge, as the gopro stuff has removable battery... Also, for slow mo, you can't beat the gopro 120 and up refresh rates.

Buying today, I would pick gopro. but the contour has been fun.

I have had the Hero 2 for a few years and I like it, but thinking of upgrading as the early units lack many of the features in the latest issues, such as wifi.

What video editing/production software do you use.  I have used the GoPro Cineform, Microsoft movie maker, and a few others.  Obviously with the free stuff YGWYPF, and so I really can't complain considering the cost.  However, I do find the free stuff I have used to be a little tedious, and would like to consider getting something better.  Trying to figure out if I need to spend hundreds for Adobe Premiere Pro, or something in between.  Curious what others are using.