Ominius

Moving to NJ from IN. Have guns. Any advice?

Hi everyone! I hope I'm posting in the right spot. My name is Kane, and I'm happy to meet you. I've received a job offer in NJ that is too good to say no to, so there is a good chance that I'll be moving there in a few months. It is near Moorestown.

My only concern is that I have a number of guns that I own legally in Indiana, that are likely not legal in NJ. I'm looking for any advice anyone would have for making the move to your state.

Here's what I have, all in a large safe(7 guage steel):

AR-15, with 20 and 30rd magazines.

Glock 17 with 17rd mags

Kahr PM9 with 6 and 7rd mags

Ruger 10-22 with 10 and 25rd mags

SKS (Norinco) in original configuration, no mods.

Ruger SR22 with 10rd mags

I assume any mags over 15rd would have to be replaced. Would I have to get rid of the AR-15 altogether? Or could I mod it to be legal? I believe it has more than 2 of the "bad" features (telescoping stock, flash suppressor, detachable magazine). Is the SKS an issue?

Would I be able to legally store my guns in Pennsylvania(Since I'd be close), and just never bring them to NJ? Would a storage place allow guns in my safe? Should I try to live in PA, and commute to NJ(I know there's a wage tax involved)? Or will I be better off giving up some of my guns? I'd hate to do that though.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer, or person I could talk to to help me move legally with my guns in best case scenario? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone! I hope I'm posting in the right spot. My name is Kane, and I'm happy to meet you. I've received a job offer in NJ that is too good to say no to, so there is a good chance that I'll be moving there in a few months. It is near Moorestown.

My only concern is that I have a number of guns that I own legally in Indiana, that are likely not legal in NJ. I'm looking for any advice anyone would have for making the move to your state.

Glock 17 with 17rd mags

I assume any mags over 15rd would have to be replaced. Would I have to get rid of the AR-15 altogether? Or could I mod it to be legal? I believe it has more than 2 of the "bad" features (telescoping stock, flash suppressor, detachable magazine). Is the SKS an issue?

Would I be able to legally store my guns in Pennsylvania(Since I'd be close), and just never bring them to NJ? Would a storage place allow guns in my safe? Should I try to live in PA, and commute to NJ(I know there's a wage tax involved)? Or will I be better off giving up some of my guns? I'd hate to do that though.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer, or person I could talk to to help me move legally with my guns in best case scenario? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bingo. This is you're best solution if you can do the commute. Much better than butchering your firearms. You can get a CCW in PA, they call it a LTCF, I think.

You are correct about the the 15 round magazines.

Your AR would be legal as long as it doesn't say "Colt AR15" as that is banned by name.

You would need to pin the stock and remove the Flash Hider and replace with a pinned and welded muzzle brake.

I believe the SKS is legal as long as it meets the evil features requirement.

If at all possible, move to PA. Most of us are trying to leave this police state.

Good luck.

don't live in NJ.

start researching areas around Oxford Cirle / Castor in PA and see if they're under the "influence" of Philadelphia. That way you can not have to deal with the hassles of Philly being a city of the "1st class" screwing with you to get your concealed carry license.

In all seriousness, if you value your 2A rights then NJ can be tough. Very oppressive here and scheduled (in all probabilty) to get worse.We just missed dropping to a 10rd mag restriction from 15 and lots of other bad laws waiting in the wings of the Legislature. If you have a reasonable choice go to PA. 

One of the Top Ten submissions for a new New Jersey motto:

"New Jersey

Are you sure you want to do this?"

How much more than your IN job does your New Jersey job pay? If it's not enough to become financially independent in 2 years and leave NJ forever then don't even think about it.

This may be the worst decision of your life. Worse than the night you have chest pain but decide not to go to the hospital and die.

I have to agree with the others. Find a way to live in PA and commute to NJ. Difficult, I realize. Your work location is in Moorestown. You could easily get to Philly from the suburbs on SEPTA (don't live in Philly either for the same reasons.... :nono: ). The trick will be finding transportation from Philly to Moorestown.  That, or finding the right time to commute. I'd avoid the Schuylkill Expressway(Walt Whitman Br.). I'm not sure the Ben. Franklin Bridge would be any better.

An alternative might be the Christina area of Delaware. There are a couple of options there. You can go on the Del. Memorial bridge to NJ and then up US 130 or I-295.

Or, you could go up I-495 to I-95 and across the Cmdr. Barry Bridge.

Nothing is terribly good, but there are some alternatives.   The only thing that's really bad is actually living in NJ. :(

There is a good reason why that job offer is too good to so no to.  Find that reason and I'm sure you will look somewhere else.  Besides our gun laws, NJ is rated like 48 out of 50 for quality of life reasons.  Some of the highest taxes in the country.  I find it very hard to believe your outstanding offer of salary could improve your quality of life here.  Remember it is not what you make, but what you keep.

One of the Top Ten submissions for a new New Jersey motto:

"New Jersey

Are you sure you want to do this?"

How much more than your IN job does your New Jersey job pay? If it's not enough to become financially independent in 2 years and leave NJ forever then don't even think about it.

This may be the worst decision of your life. Worse than the night you have chest pain but decide not to go to the hospital and die.

:)

Just sell all your over 15 round mags and replace with max 15 rounders.  Have any modifications to your AR and SKS done prior to moving here.  It's bad here but you'll be fine.

For the AR & SKS.  As mentioned before, it is a Colt AR15 then you'll have to sell it and replace with something that doesn't say "Colt AR15". 

Have bayonet lug ground down, pin stock and remove flash hider/add compensator/brake.

Moorestown is a nice area.  Voted best (or one of the best) places to live a few years ago.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it there.

Welcome to NJ.

"Too good to say no to"?

If you are talking career valuation, that's for you and no one else to decide. And you'll need to put a value on it.

If you are talking money, then you need to do what I should have done some years ago. Take your current NET (repeat, NET income) in Indiana and compare that to what your NET (I repeat NET) income will be in NJ. Please be sure to include New Jersey:

Property taxes

Income taxes

Commuting costs (and TIME! How much will you make PER HOUR at this new job INCLUDING YOUR COMMUTE)

Cost of leaving NJ when you do (Yes, it costs to leave if you own a house)

Cost of living period.

Cost of housing.

And if all that comes out WAY in your favor in NJ, then consider all our gun law limitations.

I'm not kidding or exaggerating. DO THE ARITHMETIC AND INCLUDE EVERYTHING! I failed to do this many years ago, and made several uniformed and bad decisions. But I was young.

The job may NOT be too good to turn down.

Glock 17 with 17rd mags

First, welcome to the forum.

By now, you got the point regarding NJ and our insane gun laws.  Aside from that MAJOR issue, our property taxes are the highest in the nation, we have a state sales tax on almost anything you buy, a state income tax and housing costs that are off the charts. Both our home and auto insurance rates will probably shock you into a new dimension.  All this and traffic on 95, 80, 287 and the "Garden State Parkway" can make the Santa Monica freeway look like a joy ride. 

If there was any way I could get my wife and kids to agree to leave AND find suitable work in my field,  I would do so as fast as humanly possible.  I am NJ born and raised and unfortunately, getting a bit long in the tooth....  Lets just say I will have a very tough time leaving everything and everyone behind, finding a new job and moving!

You are already "free" and really need to understand the impact of the decision you have made to come to NJ.  Your entire lifestyle will change and it will not be for the better. 

I wish you all the best regardless of what you do ;)

"Too good to say no to"?

If you are talking career valuation, that's for you and no one else to decide. And you'll need to put a value on it.

If you are talking money, then you need to do what I should have done some years ago. Take your current NET (repeat, NET income) in Indiana and compare that to what your NET (I repeat NET) income will be in NJ. Please be sure to include New Jersey:

Property taxes

Income taxes

Commuting costs (and TIME! How much will you make PER HOUR at this new job INCLUDING YOUR COMMUTE)

Cost of leaving NJ when you do (Yes, it costs to leave if you own a house)

Cost of living period.

Cost of housing.

And if all that comes out WAY in your favor in NJ, then consider all our gun law limitations.

I'm not kidding or exaggerating. DO THE ARITHMETIC AND INCLUDE EVERYTHING! I failed to do this many years ago, and made several uniformed and bad decisions. But I was young.

The job may NOT be too good to turn down.

Bingo. The salary may be good for your area, but once you add up the cost of living in NJ you could be back at the same place.

Moving from Crane to the Aegis site at moorestown, you may get more money as a gov't employee(locality pay) but that will get eaten up in increases in the cost of living & taxes, either in PA or NJ. More so in NJ, but the commute will cost you money also. If you are a contractor, this will probably be the last raise you get for awhile, as the DoD contracting business is in the cr@pper and will be for some time to come. I am surprised that place has managed to survive all these years. BRAC 2017 may finally close it up though

Unless guns are the sum of everything in your life(in which case NJ is a definite no-no)...do whatever is best for you and your  family...sure theres a lot wrong here..but hope springs eternal and maybe we can get things turned around......but show where things aren't crapping the bed...its a nationwide epidemic....you are welcome to come on over and walk my block and speak to the neighbors...you wont get 1/8 of the negativity you just heard here....again only you know whats best for you and/or your family...while there is plenty of misery in NJ.( plenty of it in PA, NC, SC FL to go around also )....theres also plenty of happy people making a living here..

Do your homework carefully...and you will be comfortable with your ultimate decision...

as for the guns.. big one is no mags over 15rds (there are vendors here that can pin anything over 15..or sell you ready made 15rders

AR has to be neutered...muzzle device(no flash suppressors)  pinned..stock pinned...(PM if you need references on where/how to get it done)

not an SKS guy but what others said is correct...all depends on magazine (fixed or not)...if a removable then it gets treated like AR..see above

the ruger also gets treated like the AR because of the mag...but if its a run of the mill carbine (fixed stock bull barrel) then your fine..

Unless guns are the sum of everything in your life(in which case NJ is a definite no-no)...do whatever is best for you and your  family...sure theres a lot wrong here..but hope springs eternal and maybe we can get things turned around......but show where things aren't crapping the bed...its a nationwide epidemic....you are welcome to come on over and walk my block and speak to the neighbors...you wont get 1/8 of the negativity you just heard here....again only you know whats best for you and/or your family...while there is plenty of misery in NJ.( plenty of it in PA, NC, SC FL to go around also )....theres also plenty of happy people making a living here..

I don't know, bud.  I moved from NJ to Columbia, SC in March and I couldn't be happier.  Guns aside the overall living outside of NJ is just great.  People are more friendly and since I'm not one for the big city bar scene, I find more outdoor activities to do down here.  But my biggest reason for moving is the property taxes and the ability to buy a house without running myself into mountains of debt.  I'm a 26 year old engineer and I have to be honest, it would take a LONG time to get a house in New Jersey and be happy with the money I have after expenses.  Down here I can pay the same(or less) for an equivalent house, but pay about $4-$6K/year less in taxes.  I'm not talking about living in the sticks either, I'm talking Lexington and Blythwood which are known for good schooling. 

Is SC perfect?  No, if you head south a bit and you will see a good deal of meth activity....but that's contained pretty well.  I'm also sick of seeing the same cookie cutter subdivisions on this side of Columbia.....but that's another story.  However, anyone in the younger crowd, like myself, looking to start a family and be happy.  I cannot see any reason to stay in NJ and start a family.

By virtually any measure, gun laws, taxes, traffic, business friendliness, NJ will rank as one of the half dozen worst states in the country.  I would agree with the live in PA or DE sentiment and not just over the 2A issues.  I am close to retirement and have no intention of staying once I retire.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The SKS has the attached magazine. The 10-22 has a thumbhole stock, muzzle flash and threaded barrel, which I imagine changes it's legal status in NJ. Easy enough to change on the Ruger.

I do know that taxes are insanely high, and that housing is 300-400% higher than it is in Indiana. So I'm definitely taking that into consideration. The job is not a 100% certainty yet(Though some management is acting like it's gonna happen), more of a "Would you be interested?" type of thing. It would be a transfer from within the same org that I work at in Indiana, so they'd pay moving expenses. Job description is kind of my dream job, so it's very enticing. I don't have all the details yet, but I wanted to be sure I had all the information I could get about the move. I don't want to jump in just because something looks shiny :)

Thanks again, I do appreciate you all giving your feedback.

I have family in Maple Shade. That's basically a working class town near Moorestown. They own a small condo worth about $150,000.

Their property taxes are $8,000 a year. You can pay a little less in that part of NJ, but you can easily pay double.

In PA, the area north of Philly along the Delaware river is a little mixed. But you should be able to find something nice and inexpensive compared with NJ. You can pull off a half hour commute from that area.

From the Bristol area take Burlington Bristol Bridge and then 295 south (most traffic on 295 is north in that area that time of day) - 23 minutes.

Maybe get an apartment in the Bristol/Levittown are of PA for a year or so until you know the area better. Be sure to get your License to Carry Firearms, build an SBR, and buy some silencers. That should ensure you don't move to NJ :)

I feel bad for you. You will NOT get a carry license in NJ.

There are at least three Delaware River crossings where you could live the equivalent of five or six miles from a city as far inland as Moorstown. And from where you can get to work any day of the week in less than fifteen minutes. Unfortunately the Philadelphia crossings don't qualify.

If it's concealed carry you're thinking, any Philly suburb is a 23+ mile commute for you. Yeah you can do it in 30 minutes on a Sunday morning around 6am. But Google Maps gives a travel time of 43 minutes; during rush hour the trip could easily take you an hour, hour and a quarter, and on a bad day 90 minutes. That's one way. And up to 60-90 minutes back. That's up to three hours of your life every work day spent in the car. You may be able to find a home within a few miles of where you're working if you domicile in NJ.

That being said, I would never encourage anyone to move to this God-forsaken state. Guns are only part of it. NJ is the most corrupt state in the Union, with close to the highest, if not the highest, tax burden of any state. Your home will cost $40-50,000 less on the other side of the Delaware, depending on your distance to Philadelphia (closer = more expensive). And unless you live in an extremely desirable town within a short train ride to Manhattan, which you most certainly will not, you will not be able to sell your home when the next opportunity arises.

So I would advise you to live just outside of Philadelphia. Try to arrange work hours where you might get in at 6:30 or 7:00, and be home by 3:00 or so. If you're a professional you could probably work from home two days per week. 

Good luck.

He can easily get to Moorestown during rush hour in 30 minutes from PA outside (north of) Philly.

I will bet you Bristol area to Moorestown is less than 30 minutes during rush hour. 7 years ago I was making that commute, both ways, from Trenton and from Maple Shade on occasion. Moorestown is not hard to get to, and most people are headed the other way going to PA or going North. Plus, there are a dozen ways to get to Moorestown.

Like I said, rent a place first and see how it goes until you get to know the area.