Ominius

Moving to NJ from IN. Have guns. Any advice?

He can easily get to Moorestown during rush hour in 30 minutes from PA outside (north of) Philly. I will bet you Bristol area to Moorestown is less than 30 minutes during rush hour. 7 years ago I was making that commute, both ways, from Trenton and from Maple Shade on occasion. Moorestown is not hard to get to, and most people are headed the other way going to PA or going North. Plus, there are a dozen ways to get to Moorestown. Like I said, rent a place first and see how it goes until you get to know the area.

I defer to your greater familiarity with that area. I was under the impression that Philly extended farther north than where you mention, and assumed he'd have to go around the city to cross. Now that I see the map I recall crossing at Bristol around 18 years ago. I'd forgotten that crossing was even there.

GMaps says 23 minutes. Check here for photos. Not a bad looking burg at all.

In addition to much higher cost of living, have you thought of quality of life? 

I defer to your greater familiarity with that area. I was under the impression that Philly extended farther north than where you mention, and assumed he'd have to go around the city to cross. Now that I see the map I recall crossing at Bristol around 18 years ago. I'd forgotten that crossing was even there.

GMaps says 23 minutes. Check here for photos. Not a bad looking burg at all.

There is also Betsy Ross Bridge north end of Philly. There may be backups some times southbound because of traffic into Philly but I don't think most of it comes from that direction.

Honestly, you could go NORTH a short distance from that location to the PA TPK and take 295 south and still get to Moorestown in 30 minutes, and there would be no traffic.

I really want stick to just telling the guy he'd be better off taking poison but unfortunately there may be some helpful options to be discussed in this case ;)

My misconception was based on having telecommuted for a company based in Horsham. I visited headquarters about half a dozen times in three years, and Philadelphia on business perhaps another 7-8 times. Never once did I just sail through. One year, when we were staying in Philadelphia and wife had some classmate activity, I drove the kids up Broad St. (611) to Horsham. It was a Sunday around 1pm. Took a freaking hour. Traffic lights every 30 feet, people jay-walking.

Bristol is the way to go. But didn't that place flood like a MoFo a few years ago? The river must have risen 20 feet; you could swim in downtown Columbia. Bristol is 16 ft. above sea level. Yikes. 

Another vote for living in PA and commuting.  It will avoid a whole world of aggravation.   Its not that far from the border, and the folks in south jersey, where you are heading are more gun friendly then in central or north jersey.   Good Luck.

Ahem.....  Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, Morris?????    <_<

IF you move to NJ -

Register to vote, join ANJRPC, listen to Gun for Hire Radio every week and help us fix the problem.

I'm not kidding.

Sure, "move to PA" might be an easy way out, if that's what you're looking for. 

Easy way out? Moving to NJ is no way out.

IF you move to NJ -

Register to vote, join ANJRPC, listen to Gun for Hire Radio every week and help us fix the problem.

I'm not kidding.

Sure, "move to PA" might be an easy way out, if that's what you're looking for.

thank you...finally have a gun owner looking to move in and maybe join the fight and everyone takes a big steemer on his chest...lets get the scale moving in the other direction....i wonder what would have happened if everyone had the same just move attitude in the early stages of this country...gotta start somewhere..and the latest round of AG's making some noise about NJ gun laws was a breath of fresh air

Moving from Crane to the Aegis site at moorestown, you may get more money as a gov't employee(locality pay) but that will get eaten up in increases in the cost of living & taxes, either in PA or NJ. More so in NJ, but the commute will cost you money also. If you are a contractor, this will probably be the last raise you get for awhile, as the DoD contracting business is in the cr@pper and will be for some time to come. I am surprised that place has managed to survive all these years. BRAC 2017 may finally close it up though

They are actually expanding the Moorestown Aegis site as we speak. Several new facilities being built adjacent to the existing "cruiser". I don't think that site will be closed anytime soon.

Moorestown is one of the most expensive (and nicest) towns to live in Burlington County. Great schools. Most of the Philadelphia athletes live there. You are looking at least $10k + in property taxes. Just like others have mentioned, once you factor in property taxes, payroll taxes, school taxes, state taxes, municipal taxes, car insurance, etc. will you really be making more money? EVERYTHING costs more in NJ; schools, roads, tolls, beaches, government, you name it, it costs more to do it in NJ.

If your guns are important to you, I would say move to PA; you will not have to change one thing on anything you have. Plus you can CCW. If you move to Bristol, Bensalem, Langhorne, PA your commute over the Burlington-Bristol bridge will not be that long (40-45 minutes). Not bad considering I do that driving into Trenton everday and my commute is only 20 miles.

I work with a few people who live in PA and commute 1+ hours to work so they can live free. NJ is expensive and you can't own many firearms and accessories.

My vote is move to PA and commute. It probably will still cost you less in the long run.

I work with a few people who live in PA and commute 1+ hours to work so they can live free. NJ is expensive and you can't own many firearms and accessories.

My vote is move to PA and commute. It probably will still cost you less in the long run.

It will definitely cost you less. 

Kane, wait until you CAN'T leave NJ after 5 years because you cannot afford to. That is how the system here is designed. You are thinking "but I'll be making more".. think again. The US dollar does not go nearly as far here than what you are used to. And the State and town will be taking more than what you thought was possibly allowed.

I'm from NC, moved around (VA, OK, TX) met a girl from NJ who didnt want to leave her family and I thought "how bad could it be?". Bzzzt wrong. 5 years later I am taking a financial hit to escape. All it takes is ONE setback and you are sinking in the tar pit like a wooly mammoth.

Now you can't say you were never warned.