BCeagle

Coyotes in Parsippany

My mother-in-law saw one up by the Jersey City reservoir in her neighborhood a few months back and my neighbor snapped this pic yesterday off 287.  My wife said she saw one over the weekend but thought it was a fox.  Dont mind actually since I dont have any pets and my yard is gated, but my wife was actually afraid to go out last night to shut off the pool filter.

I remember a few years back there was a young black bear off 10.

10563558_10204587458472127_621720458_n.j

I saw one at my parents in Montville...next to Parsippany. It was rather large. At first I thought it was a German Shepard.

Love the story about 15 years ago. A woman lived and hiked in Colorado most of her life and never attacked. Moves to Boonton, NJ and gets attacked by a coyote getting the mail.

We've had packs of Coyotes here in Mahwah too and Im on the Ramsey,Mahwah, Wyckoff border. In the winter they were especially annoying when they would all start howling at 2am in my yard. I dont worry about them if you see them in the day they run off.

They literally sounded like this 

I think that might be the same one that ran across my front lawn in Whippany last week. At first I thought it was a dog too. Then I thought large red fox, but it was a little too big for a fox and it was out during the day. I do know it was fast.

Now my neighbors cat is missing....

We have a ton here in the Pine barrens.  I actually went out on a few coyote hunts last season but unfortunately I didn't get my permit till the last 2 weeks.  Didn't get a chance to get any but they were around us each time we were out there probably about 50 yards away each time.

You guys all know you can hunt coyote and Fox in NJ with a centerfire rifle up to .25 cal.

Yes your AR can be used for hunting in NJ...

you can even hunt them at night but only shotgun after dark. Also anytime while deer hunting if you see a coyote you can kill it as well, with anything your licenced to take deer with.

Except I can't discharge in my yard. It would look a bit strange to open carry my AR to get the mail. I think my Walther PPQ will be on yard work detail. Of course if it's a black bear and not a coyote I'm up the creek!

I'd go with fox. 

It's defiantly not too large for a fox.  Compare it to those small bushes.

I'd also go by the coloring, its more of a rusty brown to reddish in color , look at the table top and planter for comparison.

The coyotes I've seen around here are grey and damn ugly.  That guy looks cute.

Also seems to have black on the ears and tail, typically what I've seen on foxes in the area.

See them quite a few times playing softball in Morris county area, trotting across the field.

Also seen fox and coyote in Paramus where I'm at.

But then again, I'm no expert.

Its definitely a coyote and not a fox. The animal on OPs picture is much to tall and stocky to be a red or grey fox, red fox have a white tip on their tail and grey fox do not have a different color tip on their tail. Coyotes have a black tip on their tail. There are allot of coyote in NJ and they are in every county of the state. I was even found a den in Westfield in someone's well landscaped back yard.

Except I can't discharge in my yard. It would look a bit strange to open carry my AR to get the mail. I think my Walther PPQ will be on yard work detail. Of course if it's a black bear and not a coyote I'm up the creek!

well yeah you live in Wayne, the no discharge law in your town is moot when it comes to legal hunting. Except I highly doubt your 450' from your neighbors "frequently visited buildings". I actually used to hunt in Wayne in my backyard growing up there were woods all the way from my back door to Hamburg turnpike. (Now townhouses) And at the bottom of my street across Garside (where there is now a school) tons of huntable property behind the boys club. I drug many deer down Ratzer road. Until my mom became mayor and asked me to refrain from dragging dead animals and guns around the neighborhood.

It's my understanding that the coyotes in this area of the country are all hybrid. The smaller framed western coyote bred with wolves as they migrated east creating the eastern variation. Some seem to have more of the wolf genes than others which is why you occasionally (atleast by me in Warren Cty) see them pushing 80lbs. I hear them howling often at night and once in a while you can tell there is a very large one in the mix. While the sound is similar to the others it is distinguishable.

I've put .22/250 rounds through a few in Roxbury Twp off of Emmans road that were pushing 50-60lbs in the past. They are everywhere, just because your not always seeing them doesn't mean they're not in the neighborhood. They are usually extremely elusive and wary when near human presence.

That looks to be a coyote. It has the longer legs as well as an overall heavier mass than a regular red fox. Red foxes usually have darker colored (black) fur on their legs.

Honestly, I think some people worry way too much about coyotes. That may sound naive but they usually pray on smaller animals and rarely humans. Does that mean that they could attack a human? Sure, but IMO it's rare. They are usually scared of people and will continue on if seen.

I frequently hike in upstate NJ (Appalachian Trail, etc) and on overnight trips, we hear them frequently. They are all over the Ridge that runs along western NJ. Hearing them at night while your around a bonfire camping is sometimes a little unnerving for people that are not used to them but it is interesting to hear them howl back and forth at each other. They like to surround our tent area to see what's going on. I'd guess the closest they've come to us is probably 75-100yds, close enough that they're singing is REALLY loud. I love it and think they are very cool animals. I've heard one coyote can howl and bark and make so many different noises at different times that it can sound like a full pack. 

There is also a pack a few towns over from me that I've heard before. They seem to like the vast fields of the local airport. A friend of mine lives a few hundred yards away from it and you can hear them singing at night.

That looks to be a coyote. It has the longer legs as well as an overall heavier mass than a regular red fox. Red foxes usually have darker colored (black) fur on their legs.

Honestly, I think some people worry way too much about coyotes. That may sound naive but they usually pray on smaller animals and rarely humans. Does that mean that they could attack a human? Sure, but IMO it's rare. They are usually scared of people and will continue on if seen.

I frequently hike in upstate NJ (Appalachian Trail, etc) and on overnight trips, we hear them frequently. They are all over the Ridge that runs along western NJ. Hearing them at night while your around a bonfire camping is sometimes a little unnerving for people that are not used to them but it is interesting to hear them howl back and forth at each other. They like to surround our tent area to see what's going on. I'd guess the closest they've come to us is probably 75-100yds, close enough that they're singing is REALLY loud. I love it and think they are very cool animals. I've heard one coyote can howl and bark and make so many different noises at different times that it can sound like a full pack. 

There is also a pack a few towns over from me that I've heard before. They seem to like the vast fields of the local airport. A friend of mine lives a few hundred yards away from it and you can hear them singing at night.

I am not worried about them attacking me, but I do not like their presence around the neighborhood pets. I keep my cats indoors only and my dogs outside either leashed or supervised in a fenced in yard, but I still don't want them around.

We have tons of coyotes in blairstown and yesterday mornin I saw a wolf in the front yard. Thanks bunny hungers for re-introducing them. Talked with a few neighbors and they have seen them too, I thought I was nuts for a minute.