302w

Need a new wood splitting wedge

What is the best type of wedge out there? There seem to be about three types or so..Those being cheap looking plastic wedges, the traditional steel wedge, and "Grenade" types. 

I've been using an Aluminum Oregon cone shaped wedge that I inherited. It looked heavily used and I finally broke the tip off of it today unfortunately. I did buy a new-barely-used one today because I liked the thing that much, but I would like to buy something more modern.

I have two steel wedges, that I dislike. I find my cone shaped one works much better. Also, no mauls.

Thoughts?

I split a ton of wood by hand -- fiskars splitting axe is the best splitting tool I've ever used

its not a maul -- something in its design makes it work awesome and you can swing it all day

I'm in zip 08846  -- if you're close and want to try it let me know

I'm intrigued. Have you used this contraption? My back is still recovering from splitting a few cord on Saturday.

Do you use a bungi cord or tire around your log? 

Almost all my back pain comes from picking up the log when it falls off  -- use a bungi around the log or a tire and it stops 95% of the bending to pick up an unsplit piece

Do you use a bungi cord or tire around your log?

Almost all my back pain comes from picking up the log when it falls off -- use a bungi around the log or a tire and it stops 95% of the bending to pick up an unsplit piece

My back pain was from being an idiot picking up a large round to place on the hydraulic splitter. Remember folks: lift with your legs not with your back.

+2 On the Fiskars 36" handle.  Moved all my other mauls to far corner storage.  Wedges do not come out very often, mostly to half 36''+ rounds, Fiskars handles 99% of the hand spliting.  I like the older steel wedges I find, Better steel and taper.  I split about 6 to 10 cords a year, not all by hand.  Timberwolf helps out.  Enjoy