Heavyopp

Need a torque wrench in inch pounds

I'm looking for a good quality torque wrench that will measure in inch pounds --

Specifically I need to accurately measure 18 inch pounds 

I'd like a quality piece, not made in china preferably, something that will last 

Any suggestions?

I have the Wheeler F.A.T.; it's nice enough for the price. The driver is a quality twist-adjust handle. The bits are sizes common for rings and bases; Wheeler includes a few useful ones like that wide flat bit.

I like to acquire tools, though if OS is kind enough to let you borrow one - can't beat free.

I have a Snap-on you can borrow.

PM me

Thanks Old School but I was looking to buy one -- There's plenty of places where I should use one and I don't because its just not here

I was looking at that wheeler FAT -- It's on sale at midway right now for a few more days --  Just wondering about other options...

I do have a Harbor freight  between home and work,  I'll stop in tonight to take a look, but once again -- cheap 

The HF ones are OK, but if you read the reviews and do homework, their torque is anywhere from 10-20% off.  Too high for accurate use.  The "norm is a range of 3-6% off with high end wrenches, depending on direction being used.  However their "digital torque converter" that snaps on your wrench is according to numerous test, is very accurate and within the normal range.  Its also fairly cheap.   

I love Snap-On, but if you are not a commercial business/professional mechanic they visit, or have somebody in one you can use, GOOD LUCK if you ever need service.  I went through a nightmare to get a ratchet repaired as the local drivers, who are independent owners, don't want to deal with you, despite the fact its part of their agreement.  I thought it was just NJ but when I hit the net, I see its more of the majority of trucks.  Not to mention they are now importing from of shore.  Just grab the new stuff and look...."made is USA" is no longer on a lot of their stuff.....now you get "COO" which when you ask, you get a BS answer until you call corporate.  The old stuff was all made with parts made in the USA and then assembled in their factory.  Now they still "made" in the USA by them, but the parts are from offshore.  So the word games begin and another company goes down the road of Craftsman.  So yes it is "made" here from parts from off shore.  No thanks.

Most stuff is foot pounds, not inch.  Wasting a lot of money on one when you can borrow one is a little crazy.  You will also be hard pressed finding one that goes lower than 20.  Just borrow it and buy a decent foot pounds one.  I don't own it, but I have heard the Kobalt ones are pretty decent and very accurate with a lifetime guarantee.  The car forum folks love it and rave about it.  Its a lot cheaper than my CDI wrench and when doing informal testing with friends on projects, it seems to be spot on with my $600 wrench a friend in NASCAR gave me.