Sign in to follow this  
jermz1987

Questions for the Glock aficionados

I went to my local toy store and they had a Gen 2 Glock 19 in 85% condition sitting in the used section. I looked it over and the gun looks like it was fired maybe a few times the put away.  No wear marks on the barrel hood or anything. They are asking 350 for it. I put a deposit on it with plans to pick it up this week. When I got home I decided to look up the serial number of the gun to get an idea of when it was manufactured, but while reaserching I found something that worried me. The first letter in the S/N is E. I read that some gen 2 E series glocks had problems and were subject to a recall. It was too late for me to call glock so I thought I would get some opnions here. Is this still a good deal? Should I risk it? Will glock still honor the recall? or should I get something else? Any advice is appreciated guys.

Since it's a Gen 2 I'm guessing the serial # has 2 letters and then 3 numbers?  After a few years Glock switched to using 3 letters at the start of the serial # and the E series upgrade (Glock never has "recalls" just "upgrades") was for some Glocks starting with an E with 3 letters in the serial #.  There was a different recall/upgrade for very early Gen 2s, but I think that was before the E serial # range.  You can call Glock, give them the serial # and they'll tell you if it's subject to any upgrades.

I guess it's a decent deal; I personally don't like the Gen 2s as much as the Gen 3, and like the Gen 4 even more :)

ETA:  I was wrong, it looks like this one is subject to one of their upgrades, see here:  http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html.  Glock should make the necessary repairs and hopefully will give you a shipping label to send it in.  Or ask the shop to do it before you buy it.  It also might have already had the parts upgrades.  If you take it apart you can check as described in this link.

Edited by Russell

ETA:  I was wrong, it looks like this one is subject to one of their upgrades, see here:  http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html.  Glock should make the necessary repairs and hopefully will give you a shipping label to send it in.  Or ask the shop to do it before you buy it.  It also might have already had the parts upgrades.  If you take it apart you can check as described in this link.

Thanks for the post. I never knew /heard about this one.

Very easy to change all these parts yourself even if Glock won't. If it comes with standard sights, then try to knock a few bucks off the price. I personally wouldn't pay more than low 300s for an older Glock with standard sights.

Jeremy,

I think the 19 Gen 2 had a spring upgrade if I'm not mistaken?

I would think that if you call Glock and give them the s/n, they would have a record

if they ever did the upgrade to the gun. It may have been done and you have no issues.....

If you have a GLOCK armorer that you know of or one near by (there are loads on this forum)If there is an update required, chances are they can get the parts from GLOCK and perform the update.  I've done this many times when there were issues with the early Gen 4's. It never cost the owner a dime and they didn't have to ship the pistol.  Just sit there and never lose possession of the firearm.

Check around on Gunbroker to see what similar used Glocks are going for. I have seen Gen3 Glocks in great condition go for mid 300s. Then again, this was 2-3 years ago, so not sure if anything is different. Also, I may be speaking from another perspective, because I can get Glocks for low $400's with the blue label pricing.

I just personally wouldn't pay as much for a Gen 2. Not because they are worse pistols, but mostly because the rails on the dust cover is a desirable feature for me.

understandable, I actually have a 3rd gen Glock 19 and love it. I thought geeting a 2nd gen would be nice to add to the collection. Like I said the gun looks like it was maybe fired once and thats it. Ill have to think it over.