410guy

Question on selling a handgun

I know that NJ residents may only sell a handgun to other NJ residents with a handgun permit, but what about selling to FFL dealers?

I have sold a few long guns to Cabela's in PA in the past, and they usually give me a fair offer. But would it be legal for me to sell handguns to an out-of-state dealer? Or would I be limited to trying to sell the pistol to NJ gun shops only??

I was told by the ATF you can sell handguns to any FFL dealer, BUT if they are out of state they must be shipped not hand delivered across the state line. 

The conversation was in reference to an out of state resident hand delivering a pistol to a NJ for transfer to a NJ resident. The issue was ATF not NJSP. I'm Assuming same rules apply if the FFL is buying it.

I was told by the ATF you can sell handguns to any FFL dealer, BUT if they are out of state they must be shipped not hand delivered across the state line. 

The conversation was in reference to an out of state resident hand delivering a pistol to a NJ Dealer for transfer to a NJ resident. The issue was ATF not NJSP. I'm Assuming same rules apply if the FFL is buying it.

I think the confusion arises from an out-of-state dealer selling at a gun show. Often times the dealer transfers the firearm to an in-state dealer to sell to the customer. They can't do that. Dealers also can not delivery firearms to a NJ Dealer as the disposition is not as stated. AFAIK, if the firearm is transported according to NJ law, a non-resident can bring it to the NJ Dealer.

Dealers can acquire in any state from anyone. Disposition of firearms can only be made from their licensed premises or at an in-state gun show, although this does not happen in NJ.

Paul,

I talked to the ATF specifically about an out of state person hand delivering a firearm Handgun to me that was going to be transferred to a NJ resident.

His NY dealer told his its Illegal to do that. It made no sense to me at all. After i talked to the ATF i was told ABSOLUTELY NOT. The firearm must be mailed. it cannot be hand delivered from another state. I asked if this was a NJ law she said no its Federal.

I don't see why it would be an issue for the owner of the handgun to act as the common carrier and deliver it to an out of state FFL.

For legal questions, I tend to stick to written forms of communication with the ATF. It isn't that I don't trust them but rather it seems each IOI has a different opinion/perspective so you aren't guaranteed to receive the correct information when talking to them on the phone.

See the stickies at the top of the legal section.  IMNAL, but, Yes, a NJ resident can buy a NJ LEGAL LONG GUN in another state from an FFL, as long as the requirements of BOTH states (sellers and buyers) are met.  Been doing it for years.  Not only in PA.  Take a copies of the COE from NJ with you.

However, that is provided the FFL is willing to do so.  He can refuse if he desires.

See the stickies at the top of the legal section. IMNAL, but, Yes, a NJ resident can buy a NJ LEGAL LONG GUN in another state from an FFL, as long as the requirements of BOTH states (sellers and buyers) are met. Been doing it for years. Not only in PA. Take a copies of the COE from NJ with you.

However, that is provided the FFL is willing to do so. He can refuse if he desires.

Was just reading the thread an figured i may as well ask. The dealer offered it, and was the one who told me that. But i wasnt sure if a PA ffl would really know NJ's crap laws.

Thanks guys!