Grapeshot

Revolver Advice

Ready to get my first revolver and am looking for advice. I will mainly use it for HD and as a back-up to carry while hunting (yes, you can get a sportsman's permit in PA to carry while hunting and fishing; and those Perry county trout can be pretty aggressive). Actually, there are quite a few bear where I hunt, so I'd like a little something "extra". As such I am thinking .357, probably 4" barrel, preferably in stainless. Any advice? Any one have one for sale? Permits applied for but not in yet, so figure 2 months until I can actually pick it up. This is a tool, not a toy, so used is OK.

Thanks!

If you're looking for a good, reliable Revolver; we stock the 

EAA Windicator (German Made by Hermann Weihrauch) in both 2" & 4" barrels.

I do believe that if you're using it as a defensive weapon while hunting

a 2" barrel will suffice as you won't be shooting it more than 50ft (+/-) - jmo

Anyway  -we have the 2" for $350.00 and the 4" for $399.00 - Both are in Stock!

You're not going to go wrong with either S&W or Ruger.

The Smith will have a better trigger and nicer fit and finish. Ruger will be less $.

Both completely reliable, which what really counts.

If bear and wild boars are an issue, don't go less than .357 mag.

Although I prefer blued to stainless, for a woods gun, you might be better off with stainless.

This is probably a good all around carry gun you might wnat to look at http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-357.htm

If you don't like stainless (like me), check out the 586. If you want the more classic look, and no safety lock on the side, look at used Model 19's. They are my favorite S&W revolvers by far.

I got a NEW 586 and 686 SSR in stock

Don't count out the N-frames

Yup, 

Everybody seems to automatically recommend a S&W 686 when it comes to revolvers, I understand they are like " old faithful " for plenty of people, but there is plenty more out there to take in to consideration.

Personally, an N Frame fits in my hand better, so I have alot of them. Check out the 625, a 6 shot 45 acp, or the S&W 627, a 8 shot 38/357 mag

Yup, 

Everybody seems to automatically recommend a S&W 686 when it comes to revolvers, I understand they are like " old faithful " for plenty of people, but there is plenty more out there to take in to consideration.

Personally, an N Frame fits in my hand better, so I have alot of them. Check out the 625, a 6 shot 45 acp, or the S&W 627, a 8 shot 38/357 mag

I agree with the love of N Frames also :)

I love my 625, my 686's and my LCR. However, I think the 686 4" is my favorite.

Contact Tony at TJ Sporting Arms. I think he has a used one that has less the 50 rounds fired through it at a great price.

I've looked at both S&W (686) and Ruger GP100 - any pros/cons? Other models/manufacturers I should look at?

I have the GP, as well as its little brother the SP101. They are both extremely fun, smooth as silk, and as accurate as I'll ever be.

Don't forget they also shoot .38 specials. One, the other, or both have been on every trip I've made to the range. 

The Smiths are generally substantially more expensive than the Rugers. I also have a S&W 617 in .22lr. Call me a bumpkin, but I cannot tell any difference in workmanship. Apples and oranges perhaps. But as they say, the gun is the least expensive aspect of this hobby. 

Go stainless for a utility gun. You WILL be upset when that blue finish wears away. I was. I used to carry my Colt 1911 in the woods because it was a .45, but use takes a toll.

For self defense have a 4-6" barrel. Shorter than 4" and you are sacrificing accuracy and muzzle velocity. Greater than 6" and the thing is unwieldly.

Ruger or Smith is like comparing Chevy and Ford. Just different strokes for different folks. BUT Ruger will put a gun in your hand for less.

Don't forget to bring the right ammo and practice. Don't just practice with .38 either or you'll be thinking "wow, that is more than I'm used to" as mister bear is closing in on you at 20 yards per second instead of at the range on your own time. One of those situations is more time sensitive than the other.

Good luck and be safe in the bush. But if you cant be safe, be armed.

A BEAR gun is a N-frame .44 Magnum, NOT any of these .357's mentioned!  A home defense revolver is a .357 with .38+P HP rounds....easier to control and less muzzle flash, especially at night when the Zombies like to play.  8 shots are better than 6!

A general-Purpose woods gun with 4" - 5 1/2" barrel is one you'll actually WEAR!

And if this was NOT your first revo, I'd suggest a .45 Long Colt in the Smith and Wesson N-frame or a Model 1873 Peacemaker Single Action Army (or Ruger Blackhawk style) with 5 1/2" tube.  Put hard cast 250 gr. Keith style bullets into them and you have yourself one hell of a man-stopper that's also good on BEAR (with a PROVEN track record).......  Although there's a knack to slip-cocking a Single-Action revo, once yer practiced, it becomes second nature.  In addition, with a two handed grip, you can thumb the hammer with the weak hand and keep the trigger pulled back with the strong hand's index finger (just like in SASS Matches).  And a used Blackhawk is less than half of a new Smith wheelie........  If your looking for a UTILITY gun that will knock things DOWN, a .45 LC is something to consider....and Cabela's NEVER ran-out of this caliber during the "LEAD RUSH"..........  Your mileage may vary!

Dave

So, being a big believer in "the gun you carry is better than the gun you leave in camp", I think I'm going for light and compact, and that brings me to the Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel in .357. I understand the attraction of the .44 mag, but that's a lot of steel to haul around all day. I might still be convinced to go full-size, but so far this is how I am leaning. Everyone I know who has one (OK, both of the people I know who have them) love them. Swap out the factory grip for a Hogue and I think I'm good to go.

Dave, what are you saying? If I hold the trigger down and work the hammer it will fire? I gotta try that! Never really bring that Ruger out for anything.........

YEP, and it will FIRE as fast as you thumb the hammer and release it!  Some folks think that Single-Actions are S-L-O-W, lol!  Go to You Tube and watch some of the S.A.S.S. action from their annual big match in New Mexico.  Click on a guy nicknamed, "Lead Dispenser" (listed as the Top Gun in Cowboy Action Shooting) and watch fluid in-motion as the weak hand's thumb works the hammer on a SAA Revolver.

Enjoy Mike!

I agree with smokin .50. .357 is a great defense round for defending your self from another person but its a little on the small side for bear. .44 mag and up is a proper bear defense round.

So, being a big believer in "the gun you carry is better than the gun you leave in camp", I think I'm going for light and compact, and that brings me to the Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel in .357. I understand the attraction of the .44 mag, but that's a lot of steel to haul around all day. I might still be convinced to go full-size, but so far this is how I am leaning. Everyone I know who has one (OK, both of the people I know who have them) love them. Swap out the factory grip for a Hogue and I think I'm good to go.

This is a fantastic gun with many, many uses including home defense and everyday carry. I highly recommend it.

Smith & Wesson 329 PD. Full size, major caliber, lightweight (appx 26 ounces). Use it with .44 Specials for HD/SD and magnums in bear country.

Meets all your criteria.

Adios,

Pizza Bob