illy

GLOCK 19 or...

That's right kids, it's another edition of "what to buy with my incoming P2Ps".

In this episode:

Alpo wants striker fired 9mm; He's not too keen on sub-compacts; And he has currently short-listed:

-Glock 19
-Walther PPQ
-M&P9

Later, he lists all the ones he doesn't know enough about but might consider, like:
XD/XD(M)
HK VP9
Ruger SR9
FN FNS
Sig P320
Others??

He also reminds viewers that, while it isn't everything, money does matter.

I have the fns9 and glock 19. Depending what its for, glock 19 if its defense gun. i just dont trust anything else. FNS fits my hand better and im more accurate with. I have never had a malfunction or jam in it either but the glock 19 is just more proven at this point. Plus the fns mags are very expensive, about double the g19 mags.

That's right kids, it's another edition of "what to buy with my incoming P2Ps".

In this episode:

Alpo wants striker fired 9mm; He's not too keen on sub-compacts; And he has currently short-listed:

-Glock 19

-Walther PPQ

-M&P9

Later, he lists all the ones he doesn't know enough about but might consider, like:

XD/XD(M)

HK VP9

Ruger SR9

FN FNS

Sig P320

Others??

He also reminds viewers that, while it isn't everything, money does matter.

Do you have a CZ75 yet?  This conversation is irrelevant unless you do.  :)

I have the fns9 and glock 19. Depending what its for, glock 19 if its defense gun. i just dont trust anything else. FNS fits my hand better and im more accurate with. I have never had a malfunction or jam in it either but the glock 19 is just more proven at this point. Plus the fns mags are very expensive, about double the g19 mags.

For HD guns, I'm as tactical as Rick Grimes. :picknose:

So really, it's a "just cause I ain't got on yet" kinda of purchase.

Do you have a CZ75 yet?  This conversation is irrelevant unless you do.  :)

What Steve said below.  Though the CZ is on my "steel-framed, hammer-fired" list, for sure. 

Very Valid Point but he wants a striker fire

Best off the shelf I have seen in quite a while, PPQ M2

I have a ppq m1. Love the gun.

The only difference on the two models is the mag release, right?

I might have too little experience or just be plain wrong, but so far I came to the following conclusion - if I want to shoot for pleasure, I'd go with SIG; if I want to run USPSA, it is most likely going to be CZ-75... but if God forbids I need to go to a gun fight tomorrow, I'll take my Glock without thinking even for a second. Period. That's the only gun in my (yet small) collection, that I never had a single malfunction or even a slightest problem - it just goes bang every single time it should.

(I am clearly not trying to start a war "Glock vs HK vs Walther vs M&P vs..." as well as I am not (probably?) under some stereotypes that Glock is good, all the rest is bad, but its ease of use and reliability just impress me...)

Am I the only one who hasn't had any issues with my guns? (operator or ammo induced aside) only issue I had was with lead deposit on the barrel of my sr22 and I still attribute that to the winchester Bobcat basura I was using.

Nope. Even my cheap Ruger P series autos have run 100% [except for that one time a new shooter limp wristed my P95, but I'm not counting that].

As far as I'm concerned "never had a failure" should be a given in any quality firearm.

I've had all sorts of problems with various firearms over the years, even Glocks. If you shoot any gun long enough it's eventually going to have a malfunction. There are really just two types of firearms, those that have had a malfunction and those that haven't had a malfunction YET.

Having said that, obviously there are better quality firearms which are more reliable than others. Most of the ones you listed are about equal in quality. Just go with the one you like the most. Which one other people on the forum prefer is more or less irrelevant.

I've had all sorts of problems with various firearms over the years, even Glocks. If you shoot any gun long enough it's eventually going to have a malfunction. There are really just two types of firearms, those that have had a malfunction and those that haven't had a malfunction YET.

Having said that, obviously there are better quality firearms which are more reliable than others. Most of the ones you listed are about equal in quality. Just go with the one you like the most. Which one other people on the forum prefer is more or less irrelevant.

Most of that i think is due to user error or lack of preventative maintenance. Of course your gun will malfunction if you dont change springs or extractors or what have you.

Glock 19 is a classic. It is the best overall design of any glock out there as far as size, concealability, and shoot ability. If you want a sweeter trigger the ppq off the shelf.

The vp9 looks real nice but is bigger then the glock 19 so consider that for ccw purposes.

My question to the OP is: what did YOU like best, after you rented and shot all the guns on your possibilities list? All your choices are good handguns for different reasons. Don't let us decide for you, get each model in hand and empty a magazine down range before you choose. If you want my personal opinion I like the G19 best but that's what suits my needs as well as comfort.

My question to the OP is: what did YOU like best, after you rented and shot all the guns on your possibilities list? All your choices are good handguns for different reasons. Don't let us decide for you, get each model in hand and empty a magazine down range before you choose. If you want my personal opinion I like the G19 best but that's what suits my needs as well as comfort.

Yeah, I agree. 

The three on my short list are going to get a test run.

The purpose of the thread is to gauge whether any others need a closer look. Or alternatively, if one of the short list guns has some defect that would make it a no go for me (like the trigger on LC9s)

Any of the three you mentioned will work fine. However I don't like the m&p and I prefer the ppq m1 over the m2.

I would try and get as much info on the vp9 as you can. Everything I'm hearing is great.

I have 2 G19's (Gen2 and Gen3), Walther PPQ, M&P9.

I've read so many iffy things on Glocks lately, I don't know if I'd feel confident in getting a new one, but if a reliable Gen4 G19 can be had, that would be a really nice pistol.

The M&P I have is from 2009 or so.  I changed / polished some of the internals and also did some mild grip reshaping.  I like the pistol in it's current configuration.  I understand current production M&P's have gotten better in regards to accuracy / reliability.  For me, I would purchase an M&P with the understanding it wouldn't remain stock.

Having said all of that, I think the Walther PPQ (mine is a M1...I prefer the Euro style mag release for ALL pistols), is the best of the breed right now.  I haven't shot an HK VP9 yet, but from what I've read, it's supposed to be the best of a HK P30 and Walther PPQ.