Michael2013

Trying to sell a car

My son is moving away, and he wants to get rid of his car. Rather old and somewhat beaten SUV, but runs well. I called a few "cash for cars" businesses, and the offer is always the same $300. I remember there were adds like "$2K for any car you can drive to our place" - can't find anything like that anymore.

Maybe my expectations are unreasonable, but $300 doesn't look fair. I'd like to keep it, but can't afford extra insurance at this time.

Any advice?

Thank you

The $2000 any car you can tow in things is a sales ploy to sell another car....

Give me a better description of what you have....

Usually any running 4wd SUV should bring $1000 at least....  so yeah... sight unseen, a wholesaler is gonna offer you $300

what kind of car is it? the $2000 was the cash for clunkers i believe. A government funded program. It is not around anymore. Most cash for cars businesses turn around and tow them to a scrap yard. You will get more if you bring it direct depending on what kind of car it is. But if its junk dont expect more than a few hundred.

Did you try Bib's in Kearny? My little brother drove an old Mercedes Diesel in front of my house where it literally gave out a big sigh and voided all of its inner fuel in the street. Anyway , Bib's came to get it and gave him 800 bucks for it.

Did you try Bib's in Kearny? My little brother drove an old Mercedes Diesel in front of my house where it literally gave out a big sigh and voided all of its inner fuel in the street. Anyway , Bib's came to get it and gave him 800 bucks for it.

thats because its a good parts car for bibs. He is not a scrap metal guy but a parts guy. Bibs prices goes down the more damage there is to it, missing mirror takes 25 off. not aluminum rims but all steel takes $40 off, ect. A scrap yard takes it for metal value no matter the condition.

All - thank you for the replies. I called Bibb's, their offer was a little better than others, but far cry from $800. Apparently Chris has a point.

Maybe I'll keep it after all.

Going offline for a week or so. When I'm back online, the decision will be made one way or another.

I've donated a beater before. The value of the charitable contribution was the blue book value of excellent. More than what we bought the clunker for. The tax write off was much more than the $3-$500 I could have gotten for it.

I'm back online - thanks all for the suggestions!

Eventually we gave it up to Bibbs. Price was better than any other business. Time didn't allow for the craiglist. Speaking of which, I saw sellers on craig asking about $800 for a similar SUV, and waiting for weeks. We had days...

anyway, maybe not the best solution but it's done and forgotten...