302w

"Importing" your own beer, swill, etc.

A coworker of mine had to go to Rhode Island for an extended weekend and I had asked him to get some beer for me that you can't find in NJ, PA, or the local parts of NY (I had to call many distributors). It got me thinking about those poor unfortunate souls who have to import their own Yuengling, and how I take it for granted. I'm curious if anyone around NJ has similar adventures importing their own booze from other states.

Yuengling isn't the end-all best beer ever brewed, but I would miss it.

BTW, I had my coworker pick up Narragansett Summer Ale as well as their Del's Shandy. I tried their other beer and I like seasonal stuff. Also, for some reason, I can only buy Jim Beam Green in Newark and I am always tempted to buy some when I am in the area (even though I stopped drinking hard alcohol).

There are plenty of amazing beers and wines that haven't found their way to Jersey yet.  Either not profitable enough or too risky for many of our distributors.  But, with the alcohol shipping laws in Jersey being declared unconstitutional in 2005 (as should our other laws), you can now ship in pretty much any booze you want.  Any liquor store worth their weight would order a couple bottles of Jim Beam Green for you also if you asked pleasantly enough.   

http://192.185.174.58/~badfrog1/store/wp-content/uploads/20 on busib14/01/BADFROG.COM_39.jpg

When I was traveling to Eastern CT and RI on business, before there was a big stink about the label, I would bring home cases of Bad Frog Beer.  Quite a hit with the guys.  Tasted damn good too!

There are plenty of amazing beers and wines that haven't found their way to Jersey yet.  Either not profitable enough or too risky for many of our distributors.  But, with the alcohol shipping laws in Jersey being declared unconstitutional in 2005 (as should our other laws), you can now ship in pretty much any booze you want.  Any liquor store worth their weight would order a couple bottles of Jim Beam Green for you also if you asked pleasantly enough.   

Can you expand on the alcohol shipping laws being declared unconstitutional? Does it apply only to businesses, or individuals as well?

I can get that any day of the week but it costs a tad more than the $5/bottle RR charges at the brewery. How much would you be willing to spend for it?

I would take a case if they're fresh. I find guys selling it on Craig's list but its usual old.

When I was younger I backpacked around Europe for a while and I fell in love with a liquor from Denmark. The brand is Cuba and I like the apricot flavor the best. Whenever one of my friends from Denmark or Germany comes here I always get them to bring me a few bottles but that is few and far between.

When I was younger I backpacked around Europe for a while and I fell in love with a liquor from Denmark. The brand is Cuba and I like the apricot flavor the best. Whenever one of my friends from Denmark or Germany comes here I always get them to bring me a few bottles but that is few and far between.

For me, the country would be Luxembourg, and the cordial this:  Père Blanc. It's sort of like a sweet Ginger flavored cordial (and the alcohol content gives it a little "heat"). But you have to consume the bottle fairly quickly because once the bottle is opened and, say, 75% consumed, the remaining alcohol will evaporate, and all you are left with is a thick, sugary, ginger flavored syrup.  The other unfortunate thing is that it's not sold in the USA. And it's been almost 20 years since I've been to Europe and picked up a bottle. They'll export it in odd lots of 3 bottles or more, and that's about US $100.00.  Since I don't really drink anymore, it's not worth it. :(

I can get that any day of the week but it costs a tad more than the $5/bottle RR charges at the brewery. How much would you be willing to spend for it?

I would absolutely love a case.  Just homebrewed a clone of Pliny and a side-by-side tasting with the real thing would be awesome!  Please let me know if this is serious and how much? 

I have my parents bring down some Alchemist Brewery's Heady Topper for me from Vermont. It's ridiculously tough to get it outside of Vermont, and it's a damn good beer - especially if you like Hoppy beers.

Posted Image

I was just at that brewery two weeks ago. Did the brewfest also. Great beer. I know where to get here as well.

Heady Topper is the good stuff. I don't think it's distributed outside of Vermont. I've heard the brewery no longer sells it as it was getting a bit crazy there, which I'm not surprised about. I've been going to VT every year for the past several years and every time I go to the brewery, there are people walking out with cases of it like they are stopping production the next day. So apparently they only distribute to some local places now.

Heady Topper is the good stuff. I don't think it's distributed outside of Vermont. I've heard the brewery no longer sells it as it was getting a bit crazy there, which I'm not surprised about. I've been going to VT every year for the past several years and every time I go to the brewery, there are people walking out with cases of it like they are stopping production the next day. So apparently they only distribute to some local places now.

They do distribute now.  Their brewery got flooded out back in Hurricane Irene.  They've since rebuilt and their canning facility is going full bore.  I was told its distributed to the Burlington area Tuesdays/Thursdays, and Stowe Fridays.  My mom can get them - the only problem is that they have to be kept cold because it's not pasteurized.  When my dad goes back up to Vermont, he'll drive some down for me.

Thank you sincerely. Going to have to take a trip!

No problem, call them before you head there to make sure its in stock. But even if its not there are probably another 1000 craft beers there to choose from easily. You can even build your own 6 pack if there are multiple brews you wish to try. I almost always build myself a sampler every trip. They have their craft section organized well, by state and by country makes finding what your looking for easier when there are that many options. Its like a library of beer.

Thank you sincerely.  Going to have to take a trip!  

That's a looooooonnnnggg trip from East Brunswick.  About 1.5 hrs in *good* traffic (I live only 10 min, away from that ShopRite). Although, I have traveled 2hrs for really good BBQ.... :D

Here are some pictures of a portion the craft beer section at ShopRite liquors. There is more I didn't take pictures of, because I looked like a weirdo in the store taking pictures of beer lol. I took these last November. The other side is all the refrigerated beers that are unpasteurized. post-7008-140736430377_thumb.jpgpost-7008-140736434137_thumb.jpgpost-7008-140736437296_thumb.jpgpost-7008-14073643958_thumb.jpg

That's a looooooonnnnggg trip from East Brunswick.  About 1.5 hrs in *good* traffic (I live only 10 min, away from that ShopRite). Although, I have traveled 2hrs for really good BBQ.... :D

I do a lot of driving for work so I'm sure I'll find myself in that area at some point.  Those pictures are insane!  Looks very comprehensive.