Sign in to follow this  
leahcim

Another HVAC/IAQ question

Anyone familair with or using this type of UV air cleaning product for air conditioning systems?

Do they work well at killing airborne contaminents and reducing mold in ductless systems?  Or is it just hype?

They are not cheap, but if they are effective I would probably consider getting one.

http://www.freshaireuv.com/mini-uv.html

Thanks!

Are you legitimately suffering from airborne contaminants or are you falling for the marketing and advertising? (fear mongering)?

Unless you are running a meth lab or other business in your home that would produce questionable substances that you end up breathing in I think you are looking at throwing your money away.

Forget what I said if you have a real medical problem.

Honestly I've always thought they were gimmicky. The do however keep the condensate drip pan much cleaner in a traditional ducted type system if installed in the correct location. Those drip trays usually get a layer of slime in them like pond scum. The uv lights reduce that drastically.

I  have found that with window A/C units, they tend to develop a moldy smell after a year or two of use.  I am pretty sure that water in the condensate pan in a low-light part of the unit combined with indoor air of most homes (unless your home is an ISO 4 clean room) will tend to create an environment that is hospitable to mold growth.  I have noticed some of the older ductless units where I work appear to have visible mold on the louvers.  The UV lights are the same ones that are used in water purification systems to kill various microorganisms.

That being said, my window unit was stored in the garage and not used during the off season, whereas I can run the ductless in heat mode during the winter to dry it out.  I have also looked at a product that is placed in the condensate pan which is supposed to reduce the scum buildup and prevent drain clogs.  I forget the name, but it looks like a piece of high-density foam. 

DiversaTech makes tablets that you can drop into the catch tray or pan that stops the algae from growing. Problem with them is everyone forgets to do it. I have a hard enough time trying to convince my customers that an air filter thats clearly marked "30 day filter" right on it needs to be replaced monthly. Sometimes when I ask if they have been changing their air filter I get this response: "I have an air filter? Ive lived here three years and never knew" :o