fishnut

ex corrections officer denied carry permit

So my boss a former corrections officer of 7 years left the job at the end of last year due to knee problems from a combination of injury's from jumping out of planes when in the marines and the constant walking on concrete all day as a corrections officer. He left the job in good standing. He recently applied for a retired LEO carry permit and was denied. the reason given is that he did not retire however as far as his lawyer can tell their is no definition of retirement. He is appealing the decision. Does anyone know of any case law for a situation like this or can anyone point out where the state defines LEO retirement.

You have to have 10 years in before leaving the job to qualify under LEOSA.

EDIT:

There's no minimum service requirement if you're retired (the wording in the Act is 'separate') from your agency for work-realted injury/disability.

So if your boss retired on a work-related disability, he should qualify.

I'm happy for him. Tickled pink. WTF should he get a permit and not me? He walked around a prison, unarmed, for a few years. I've shot more rounds through more guns than he probably has. Waahoo. 

This is a first... I have to agree with you LOL

I'm happy for him. Tickled pink. WTF should he get a permit and not me? He walked around a prison, unarmed, for a few years. I've shot more rounds through more guns than he probably has. Waahoo. 

You chose the wrong job I guess.

I don't get to carry. It sucks, but that's what it is right now.

But WTF would I be happy that someone else couldn't either?

If NJ turned around and started granting carry rights to CPAs I would (after about a day of "why didn't I become an accountant") be happy for them and glad that a few more humans are carrying in this God forsaken state.

This is a first... I have to agree with you LOL

Ya wanna see me get them rattled?

"I had at least 5 ccws here in NJ and turned them in because didn't feel like carrying anymore...." Truth!

I never got why COs in NJ get the right to carry (yes, I know they are sworn LEOs with powers). Most states do not give COs off duty powers that NJ does. NJ USED to only allow carry for prisoner transport, and changed that sometime so they have off duty carry all the time.

Yes, I know you can run into a violent ex-inmate. But ordinary citizens running a business who were similarly threatened by their customers are told to change jobs or hire a security guard. 

I don't get to carry. It sucks, but that's what it is right now.

But WTF would I be happy that someone else couldn't either?

If NJ turned around and started granting carry rights to CPAs I would (after about a day of "why didn't I become an accountant") be happy for them and glad that a few more humans are carrying in this God forsaken state.

I actually don't mind that they get to carry, but I don't understand why the state would grant them the right to carry and not people who also face similar danger.

take the test like everybody else and get hired. Then you can carry if its so important. 

you could just move to PA. :)

^Gospel truth.

Look, I firmly, 100% believe that the right to be armed is a God-given, civil, human and constitutionally protected right and that every day that right is denied me or any other free human being, our freedom is diminished, our humanity degraded and our God-given rights trampled.

Seriously.But I feel that way because it's one of the hallmarks of free men.

Not because I need it right away. If I did, I'd just move 45 minutes west of here.

Haters...take the test like everybody else and get hired. Then you can carry if its so important. Yes...everybody should be allowed to carry but hating on a guy cause his job allows is just petty jealousy and anger. Grow up

I agree 100% with bluelinefish. Take the test. I personally know many COs that have stopped crimes in progress off and on duty. Of course you don't hear about that on the news.

I never got why COs in NJ get the right to carry (yes, I know they are sworn LEOs with powers). Most states do not give COs off duty powers that NJ does. NJ USED to only allow carry for prisoner transport, and changed that sometime so they have off duty carry all the time.

Yes, I know you can run into a violent ex-inmate. But ordinary citizens running a business who were similarly threatened by their customers are told to change jobs or hire a security guard.

Most states Police academies are shorter than the COs academy. They are granted the right to carry. Its written as law. State Parole Officers didnt even carry on duty till '95. Is it stupid that they have the right on or off duty?

I actually don't mind that they get to carry, but I don't understand why the state would grant them the right to carry and not people who also face similar danger.

Its written as law. Similar danger as who? Police, Parole? Look I think everybody should be able to carry but All Law Enforcement officers carry on and off duties under 2C.

Its written as law. Similar danger as who? Police, Parole? Look I think everybody should be able to carry but All Law Enforcement officers carry on and off duties under 2C.

"It's a law" is like saying that the sky is blue "because it's blue."

Haters...take the test like everybody else and get hired. Then you can carry if its so important. Yes...everybody should be allowed to carry but hating on a guy cause his job allows is just petty jealousy and anger. Grow up

My god... "The test." Nobody's hating on anyone except the state and it's dumb laws.

I agree hating on someone for being able to carry or being happy he was denied is a bit much but i understand what he was trying to get across.

I can all but guess that IF they had a ccw, they'd prob carry for awhile like a fad, then throw it back in the sock drawer.

You're prob right. It's like a kid that wants something and parents said NO! Now they spitefully want it even more. LOL...

I also agree we should all have the right to carry. But meh... gets old after awhile. ;) If you really need one where you are, then by all means.

I think the anger is more frustration that NJ pretty much denies everyone for a carry. Unless if you were a Leo at some point.