I'm headed off to Maine at the end of August and was just wondering if NY, MA, and CT recognize FOPA.  I was considering bringing a rifle and handgun, but since I'll be travelling through the aforementioned states, is it possible, or just a bad idea?  If so, what about 15 round magazines, since I believe those states are 10 round max.  Does FOPA cover me or must I adhere to the state law even while passing through?

I think NY doesn't give you a pass with FOPA, but it serves as an affirmative defense.

Don't forget to go to The Kittery Trading Post.

Have a good time.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Not sure about the states, but I'm pretty sure you have to avoid NYC. Take the tappan zee.

Newburgh-Beacon Bridge on I84.  Not going anywhere near NYC.

I think NY doesn't give you a pass with FOPA, but it serves as an affirmative defense.

Have a good time.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Kittery Trading Post is definitely on my to-do list.  I'll have my dog with me, since she'll be in the car I'll have only a few minutes to go to the gun counter.  If I can get there early and it's not too hot anyway.

I don't necessarily want to spend my vacation as a test case for the affirmative defense.   

I have friends in Portland and get up there at least once a year with some of my guns and as the previous poster have already indicated......stay far away from NYC.

Have a good time.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Kittery Trading Post is a nice 20 minute drive from my new digs Bob. Sig headquarters is 1/2 mile away. The Sig Academy is about 5 miles away. My shooting club (thanks to NJGF alumni RScalzo) is 1/2 hour away, near the Great Bay. We love it up here. I only miss the people and the pork roll, and I can have the latter shipped to me.

I only miss the people and the pork roll, and I can have the latter shipped to me.

I didn't know about the pork roll --  2 years ago my son and I where going camping in warner -- Didn't bother to pack much food, there's a market basket a few minutes away -- figured we'd get it there

All we wanted was pork roll and burgers --  I asked when I couldn't find it --  young kid looked at me like I was speaking hebrew --  He even got the store manager -- manager knew what it was but said they hadn't seen it in years 

we ended up with bacon...

Kittery Trading Post is a nice 20 minute drive from my new digs Bob. Sig headquarters is 1/2 mile away. The Sig Academy is about 5 miles away. My shooting club (thanks to NJGF alumni RScalzo) is 1/2 hour away, near the Great Bay. We love it up here. I only miss the people and the pork roll, and I can have the latter shipped to me.

Was wondering how you are doing up there!

Grew up in Bar Harbor. Still have family near there. Don't know much about what to do on the mainland but you can easily lose a week in Acadia.

That's the plan.  Lots of hiking in Acadia, and seeing more of the places I haven't seen before. I'll be eating lobster until I puke, and then a bonfire at night. There's also a brewery on MDI that makes a Scottish Ale that I really enjoy.  And I'll be looking for gun shops. 

That's the plan. Lots of hiking in Acadia, and seeing more of the places I haven't seen before. I'll be eating lobster until I puke, and then a bonfire at night. There's also a brewery on MDI that makes a Scottish Ale that I really enjoy. And I'll be looking for gun shops.

Atlantic brewing company in town hill. Also a BBQ place. There is also Bar Harbor Brewing that is good as well. Some great bars in town but touristy.

For hiking, check out the Precipice trail on Champaign or Bee Hive if that's closed. Both have great views and your hiking up iron rungs for parts. Gorge trail or south ridge up Cadillac are also good. Some great cliffs along the south end of Long Pond for swimming. Carriage trails for biking. It's only august so the ocean is still probably 50 degrees.

Now I miss home. What am I doing in NJ again?

I drove to NH a few years ago and brought my CCW handgun. Just pack it with your luggage in the trunk and drive like a normal person and don't sweat it.

Bingo that's how I did it.  My last job had me driving to Maine every two weeks.  I would always have my CCW on me, once I got into Maine I'd make a quick stop, grab my stuff from the trunk and holster up.  Don't sweat it, just keep it in your trunk!

Do bee hive trail if you can --  it's in the park overlooking the beach -- something everyone should do once in their life -- climbing up steel rungs in a cliff

I spent a week on MDI last year -- Lobster never got boring --  went to a place just on the other side of the bridge once you where off MDI -- place was on the right about 1/2 mile down

I was there during softshell season -- $3.99 a pound plus a $5 cook fee if I recall correctly --  Was only one cook fee for your entire order no matter how many lobsters  

Newburgh-Beacon Bridge on I84.  Not going anywhere near NYC.

Kittery Trading Post is definitely on my to-do list.  I'll have my dog with me, since she'll be in the car I'll have only a few minutes to go to the gun counter.  If I can get there early and it's not too hot anyway.

I don't necessarily want to spend my vacation as a test case for the affirmative defense.   

Were you planning to let a NY cop search your car? When is the last time that happened to you?

You're being paranoid.

You wouldn't be the test case. Many people have had cases dismissed on FOPA in NY. I drive through NY all the time with guns. Wish I could go around it but that's not possible.

Were you planning to let a NY cop search your car? When is the last time that happened to you?

You're being paranoid.

You wouldn't be the test case. Many people have had cases dismissed on FOPA in NY. I drive through NY all the time with guns. Wish I could go around it but that's not possible.

I am being paranoid, I freely admit.  I once heard it said that "Total paranoia is total awareness" or something like that, LOL.  I just received my FL and UT permits earlier this year and have never used them.  As a nOOb was simply looking for input and advice from the collective.  And I would not consent to a police search without a warrant.

Do bee hive trail if you can --  it's in the park overlooking the beach -- something everyone should do once in their life -- climbing up steel rungs in a cliff

I spent a week on MDI last year -- Lobster never got boring --  went to a place just on the other side of the bridge once you where off MDI -- place was on the right about 1/2 mile down

I was there during softshell season -- $3.99 a pound plus a $5 cook fee if I recall correctly --  Was only one cook fee for your entire order no matter how many lobsters  

I saw photos of The Beehive and Precipice trails.  Looks very cool but not sure if my dog would make it up the rungs.

And yeah, the softshells were the best I've ever had.  :drool

I saw photos of The Beehive and Precipice trails. Looks very cool but not sure if my dog would make it up the rungs.

And yeah, the softshells were the best I've ever had. :drool

Definitely not dog friendly. Champlain north-ridge trail is better for that. All the east/west trails are steep, north/south are more gradual for the most part (gorge trail being an exception).

Don't forget the backside of the island. It's not as touristy. Rent a canoe at Ponds End. Really good lobster in Southwest Harbor and more off the beaten path. There was one down by the coastguard station that was great from what I remember.

Honestly never ate much lobster when I lived there, never bought from lobster pounds. Usually got them right off the boat from friends.