ogfarmer

Brick Armory Closed by NJ Div of Taxation ?

Having a trusted member from this community can go a long way with rebuilding BA's image.. then again.. take away their discount and the forums will turn on you like you just screwed their sister. :p

IF it was run correctly, most here would bemoan the fees charged, the same way they did when Woodland Park first opened.  Forum members, as a whole, are both CHEAP and short-sighted.  There are a few of us here who aren't......and the forum is replete with examples throughout the threads.  If the mindset were to change for the better, then a range could charge what it has to in order to keep the doors open.

Dave

IF it was run correctly, most here would bemoan the fees charged, the same way they did when Woodland Park first opened.  Forum members, as a whole, are both CHEAP and short-sighted.  There are a few of us here who aren't......and the forum is replete with examples throughout the threads.  If the mindset were to change for the better, then a range could charge what it has to in order to keep the doors open.

Dave

I know. Just echoing my own experiences after witnessing how a good portion of NJGF turned on ShoreShot immediately after they discontinued their discount for members.. They were crucified as if they truly owed something to each individual member. I know we drove a lot of traffic their way but man we were childish as a group towards reacting to their change in policy. That said, BA was also a sponsor back in the day and caught a bad rep.... Any business that wants to tap into a hobby specific forum such as this would have to tread lightly between being a centerpiece of NJGF's Vendor Sponsors, vs operating a successful, profitable business.

What's so difficult about ordering guns when you're paid in full? I want to see how you blame "the forum" for that.

And not paying with bad checks. I had multiple checks bounce.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

You think you got issues. I had to break the news to a customer on Saturday.... He was picking up his rifle and was going to brick.... "No one answers the phone at brick"   I told him they were shut down by the NJ division of tax. he starts freaking out that he has 5 guns in storage at brick.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well. I used to love going to the old store, Phil was great to talk to, as was his wife, he gave me some good deals, new store just no comparison, even when the great gun dry up ended and everyone else had inventory Brick had none and the guy said their suppliers were to blame, knew things were off back then.

You think you got issues. I had to break the news to a customer on Saturday.... He was picking up his rifle and was going to brick.... "No one answers the phone at brick"   I told him they were shut down by the NJ division of tax. he starts freaking out that he has 5 guns in storage at brick.

Why would you keep 5 guns in storage at an FFL?

Why would you keep 5 guns in storage at an FFL?

Hiding purchases from the wife/husband.

Ability to shoot personally owned firearms on a lunch or dinner breaks without transporting them in compliance of NJ laws.

Safe storage when children are in household.

Safe storage when on extended vacation or business trips.

Just plain lazy/stupid or a combination of both.

Ability to shoot personally owned firearms on a lunch or dinner breaks without transporting them in compliance of NJ laws.

that about covers everything i would have thought as "reason to"

Adding a few options:

- waiting for your thirty days to be up.

- too cheap to pay multiple NICS fees

According to the NJSP - FIU, anyone who had a gun at Brick Armory for

Gunsmith work, Consignment ,ect. and can prove ownership of the gun

are encouraged to contact the FIU as soon as possible  and they will get

you your gun back as quickly as possible.

That came direct from the FIU this afternoon...........................

Well looking forward I hope they weigh that as a risk of keeping their firearms offsite and out of their possession. Something about 9/10ths of the law or some sort? :)

They should pay their taxes but the government sure makes it hard for a business to survive to do so.

Having worked part time for a small business in New Jersey since the early 90's I am thoroughly convinced government in general cause small business's to be destined to fail.

Taxes, fees. penalties etc are overwhelming. You just don't realize it unless you are the one doing the paperwork. 

According to the NJSP - FIU, anyone who had a gun at Brick Armory for

Gunsmith work, Consignment ,ect. and can prove ownership of the gun

are encouraged to contact the FIU as soon as possible  and they will get

you your gun back as quickly as possible.

That came direct from the FIU this afternoon...........................

My customer spoke to the Firearms unit directly on Monday about retrieving his firearms..... They were not quite as enthusiastic when speaking to him.

it appears its not gonna be as simple as it might seem.  

Also how do you prove ownership?   A bill of sale is meaning less if the state looks at your item as one you might have sold to brick. Maybe they did not enter it there logs... etc etc i think its gonna be a cluster fuck

Also how do you prove ownership?   A bill of sale is meaning less if the state looks at your item as one you might have sold to brick. Maybe they did not enter it there logs... etc etc i think its gonna be a cluster fuck

Assuming "handguns," would the P2P pink copy qualify, if still possessed, given that it has make, model and serial # on it?

My customer spoke to the Firearms unit directly on Monday about retrieving his firearms..... They were not quite as enthusiastic when speaking to him.

it appears its not gonna be as simple as it might seem.  

gosh golly, didn't see that one coming....

say goodbuy to the gun(s) you inhereted, didnt bother to hang on to a COE or any other paperwork that got lost in the flood... what a shitstorm. 

Having worked part time for a small business in New Jersey since the early 90's I am thoroughly convinced government in general cause small business's to be destined to fail.

Taxes, fees. penalties etc are overwhelming. You just don't realize it unless you are the one doing the paperwork.

Plus 1 billion. And it's not just the state, depending on the business, you need to deal with the feds, state, county (health dept) and/or local, all of them with their hands out. Unless it's a minority owned business, then the credits/benefits/rule bendings are ample.

If anybody on the list is a lawyer or has a lawyer that would partner up, I have a venture capital hook to come up with the money.

But I'm not spending exploritorey money for a lawyer.   I could structure finance.

Maks Interested?

Investment in ranges have interest in today's climate.

Nice Frank.  Nice.

Dave

There was more to it than that.

Even with all the forum member deals... there was PLENTY of money that was there... the problem is... poorly mismanaged.  There were a ton of examples, but not going to list them here.

I still don't think Phil is a bad guy, or did this on purpose, however I know he has absurdly poor management skills when it comes to managing the finances of the business.  Humn, I wonder if I can get in line for money owed. lol.

^^^I completely agree Max, that's why the first four words are, "If it was run correctly".......

Right now we have so many FFL's that they're stabbing each other in the back trying to eek-out a profit on a $25 transfer that could take several hours over multiple days depending on what NICS is up to...and whether or not your have the same name as a felon......

Granted that all of the stories about "toys" and mismanagement didn't help, but there's still an underlying problem of fixed expenses and $15 phone calls to NICS vs. actual volume, combined with members here not being able to see the writing on the wall....and still doing business with a store with no inventory and no customers when you're there.......