jm1827

Cheyenne Outfitters Bonanza Weekend- Aug 2&3

Just a heads up, looks like Cheyenne has some good deals going on this weekend-

325 round bricks of Federal 22 Auto Match- $24.99, limit of 2

M&P 15 Sport $565, and a bunch of other decent ammo deals.

Wow, 500 bricks sure went fast!

I'm so sure people went there alone and only bought two bricks for themselves.  Nobody brought three or four friends who don't shoot just so they could score an extra eight bricks for ten bricks in all.  Yeah, that didn't happen.

I went to both...Harry's was VERY crowded, and the line for the SINGLE register went right down the middle of the store; almost as long as the store.   Sportsman's was very busy, but they have the space to spread-out, and even when they're busy it doesn't feel like a huge crowd (like Cheyenne's did).  There wasn't an appreciable line at their TWO registers, and the gun counter, while doing a brisk business, felt uncrowded and friendly.  I had made a sizable purchase at Sportsman's the week before, and they recognized me and welcomed me back.  I bought a case of 12 gauge clay loads and a box of small pistol primers, and used the 'early bird' $20 off $50 coupon at the register.

It went about like my trips to Sportsman's Center and Cheyenne/Harry's usually goes...I might stop and LOOK at Cheyenne/Harry's, but I usually BUY at Sportsman's.

I'm so sure people went there alone and only bought two bricks for themselves.  Nobody brought three or four friends who don't shoot just so they could score an extra eight bricks for ten bricks in all.  Yeah, that didn't happen.

For .22 their friends would at least have to have an FID to purchase.

I went this morning, got there about 8:50 and was dismayed to learn that for this special they opened at 8am not 9am like on the web.  It was crazy with lines for guns and lines for ammo.  As someone said they had deli style tickets for guns.  I got number 80 :(  I was talking to a guy who got there at 7:30 and he told me there were 50 people waiting to get inside in front of him.  As I was talking a nice guy who just went to get ammo handed me the ticket he got when he first got in, that was number 34 - yea!!!  It seems people grabbed tickets for ammo, but they were not needed.  So I was right behind the guy who got there at 7:30.  I waited about 20 minutes and my number was called.  I got an M&P15-22 which came with a second mag and 300 rounds of ammo.  Their control system is very good for normal days, but was a total cluster F for this event.  Once you picked the gun they filled out a paper with info for nics (not the actual nics papers).  You then got on a long ass line to pay your $15 nics fee.  Then you took that back to the gun counter where they filled out your actual invoice and had you complete the nics paperwork.  I figured great I would be out quickly.  False!  He wrote it all up and told me to take the papers to the register and pay and they would put my gun on lay-away till the nics came back.  I basically said are you F'ing kidding me, I'm not coming back another day.  He said they overloaded the state police and nics were taking about 90 minutes.  I had a bunch of time already invested, so I paid and waited.  I got my nics and left with my gun three minutes after the guy that got there at 7:30 got his.  Not sure if the roughly $150 bucks total I saved was worth my time.  The biggest screw up with their system was that I am sure most people only bought the discount stuff and did not do any additional purchases as who would want to wait in line again to buy anything else.  If they do this again they need to have a better system.

I went this morning, ..........

Not sure if the roughly $150 bucks total I saved was worth my time.  The biggest screw up with their system was that I am sure most people only bought the discount stuff and did not do any additional purchases as who would want to wait in line again to buy anything else.  If they do this again they need to have a better system.

To go to one of these events ya have to either like this sort of thing and make a day of it or ya have to be really desperate for something they have (like 22lr ammo).  CMO just bought a bowling ally and are moving the whole shebang to the new location.  There will be plenty of room there.  I wanted to go there this morning (or tomorrow) but family obligations prevented me from joining the madness.

I took my 2 boys this morning. Got some trail cams and a ground blind (paid outside) for this hunting season. My boys got to shoot the BB guns and they mugged the free samples at Elys table a couple times. lol.   Inside was honestly insane. the thought of purchasing a gun or ammo was out of the question considering the lines. saving a few bucks isn't worth a couple hours... waste of time to me. Nick