Sign in to follow this  
BlueLineFish

10ga SxS questions

Well I recently acquired a new 10ga. Wanted a mercury magnum and found one at a really good price. I know some of the older spanish shotguns had issues with barrels so looking for some insight. The previous owner said he shot modern 10ga loads with no issues. I am not sure if its damascus barrels. It says special grade steel on the barrels. Its an eibar built mercury magnum with 30" barrels. Its a tank. I chokes are both fixed full. I also noticed that inside the barrel it appears to be stepped down. If I had a smith remove the step would that help prolong the life. Obviously I dont plan on putting a ton of shells through this but I would like to just use the steel 10ga I have rather than only expensive lead shot. Any input is appreciated

A 10 gauge double....did it come with a gun-boy to carry it around?  :)

Anyhow, I know a few guys who hunt with 10 gauge doubles for deer - they're slinging buckshot, and you can tell when they fire...its bang, bang (the 12's) and BaBOOM! (the 10).

Damascus barrels are obvious from the pattern made from its original construction...damascus barrels are made by winding strips of steel around a barrel mandrel, then hammered together into the barrel shape.  The strips form a continuous pattern in the metal around the barrel.  "Fluid" steel (a single continuous forging) is what we use today.  Damascus is UNSAFE to shoot with modern pressures, and questionable even with black powder pressures.  Rust and corrosion getting in-between those strips of metal is the primary concern...you cannot see the damage before the barrel lets go.  Whats kind of funny is that the fluid steel was considered the cheaper material back in the day, and the high-brow shotguns were damascus.

Dont know what you mean by a step in the barrel.

hope that helps....

The "step" you see is the end of the chamber mouth before the forcing cone. From beech face to chamber step should be 3 1/2" as specified on the barrel. You want this intact unless you have plans for lengthening the forcing cone.

The proof marks should confirm it's proofed for modern loads. The 3 1/2" chamber length stamped on the barrel is one indicator, since the 10 ga. began life at the pipsqueak length of 2 7/8".

Your Eibar has a Greener crossbolt in addition to the underlug locks. It's a very strong lockup.

Stepped down at the chamber end. Its chambered for 3 1/2 shells and not the lite 2 7/8.

I was going to post a snyde comment about the "steps" in the barrel but decided to be constructive instead :king:

If you have a gunsmith lengthen the forcing cones you can greatly reduce recoil.

I am not so much worried about recoil as I am about ammo choice to no do damage. Barrels appear to have pretty thick walls. Might just shoot reduced power loads. I have heard black powder loads are fun in these guns too but for that I would have to reload them.

I am not so much worried about recoil as I am about ammo choice to no do damage. Barrels appear to have pretty thick walls. Might just shoot reduced power loads. I have heard black powder loads are fun in these guns too but for that I would have to reload them.

It appears to be an inexpensive double sold in the 60's-70's.

Should have no problem shooting modern ammo but, NO STEEL!

I would be hesitant to shoot 10ga steel through an older full choked gun.  With older barrels modified choke is normally considered the tightest you should go with steel loads.

I concur - the gun is not meant for steel - you have to remember that steel does NOT want to give or deform as it passes thru the choke like lead will, and the rule of thumb is one choke more open with steel - meaning that a lead 'modified' choke performs like a 'full' with steel.  This one would be like a super full - at least until the steel shot pushes out the choke, and your shotgun becomes more of a blunderbuss.

What you do have is a serious deer hunting gun; perfect for launching buckshot loads.  Gunbot tracks 10 gauge  shell availability.  http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/shotgun/

If you can find them, bismuth shotshells would be another non-toxic alternative to lead in those fixed choke barrels if used for waterfowl. If you reload, some reloading suppliers still sell bismuth in bulk. (Precision Reloading is one.)

I can get some 10 gauge 3.5", even if it's only a box or two, however the only non steel loads I'm seeing are turkey loads. 

I'm putting in an order tomorrow and can tack it on if you're interested.

Diverging from the "norm" seems to be the problem right now. Looking at the Cabela's site, and counting the different shell availability:

.410 19

28 gauge 12

20 gauge 78

16 gauge 14

12 gauge 143

10 gauge 12

Would copper plated lead be ok. Just as an added option

Yes. Copper plating helps prevent the deformation when going thru the choke, but doesn't beat-up the barrel.

Well I recently acquired a new 10ga. Wanted a mercury magnum and found one at a really good price. I know some of the older spanish shotguns had issues with barrels so looking for some insight. The previous owner said he shot modern 10ga loads with no issues. I am not sure if its damascus barrels. It says special grade steel on the barrels. Its an eibar built mercury magnum with 30" barrels. Its a tank. I chokes are both fixed full. I also noticed that inside the barrel it appears to be stepped down. If I had a smith remove the step would that help prolong the life. Obviously I dont plan on putting a ton of shells through this but I would like to just use the steel 10ga I have rather than only expensive lead shot. Any input is appreciated

I am confused since when is steel shot cheaper than lead. When I have looked lead is always way cheaper than steel is it a 10ga thing or am I just being dense