John Boy

Voluntary Registration Of Firearms

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-650.pdf

Part 1 Question

Has anyone voluntarily registered firearms acquired through a will?   And the receiver of the firearms meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 and 1.6.

http://www.nj.gov/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

I so, was there any issues from the State Police and/or Municipal Chief of Police?

Part 2 Question

Is it required or prudent to voluntarily register firearms under these examples:

Not a resident of NJ when you acquired this firearm? Was the firearm acquired in N.J. and not in New Jersey?

Example, I started collecting non antique long arms as a kid going back to the late 1950's when I lived in New York.  Plus I purchased a revolver in 1962 from a retail dealer in Toms River, NJ when I moved from NY to NJ

Randolph police suggested I register multiple times during my argument with them when I first moved here. They asked me three or four times when I was going to complete the paperwork. Three years later still haven't gotten around to it.

Argument was that instead of a simple address change to my FID, I was required to complete the entire process over again.

Randolph police suggested I register multiple times during my argument with them when I first moved here. They asked me three or four times when I was going to complete the paperwork. Three years later still haven't gotten around to it.

Argument was that instead of a simple address change to my FID, I was required to complete the entire process over again.

How did they know you had guns when you moved there?

John Boy:   Just wondering why you're considering registering firearms?   What do you see as the benefit of doing so?

The post was a test balloon to other gun owners to determine the pros & cons.  What really brought it to my mind was all the firearms I collected over the years before I moved to NJ that have no paperwork because non was required. 

As a teenager in NY, I bought project guns.  Numrich was my source for parts.  Those that I didn't sell, I still have, pre and post 1898. Of course the pre 1898 require no paperwork

Then when my father died in PA, as the sole survivor of his estate, I inherited all of his firearms including handguns. This got me thinking - would there be less hassle with source paperwork if I was ever stopped during transport with any of these handguns

The post was a test balloon to other gun owners to determine the pros & cons.  What really brought it to my mind was all the firearms I collected over the years before I moved to NJ that have no paperwork because non was required. 

As a teenager in NY, I bought project guns.  Numrich was my source for parts.  Those that I didn't sell, I still have, pre and post 1898. Of course the pre 1898 require no paperwork

Then when my father died in PA, as the sole survivor of his estate, I inherited all of his firearms including handguns. This got me thinking - would there be less hassle with source paperwork if I was ever stopped during transport with any of these handguns

No street cop is going to determine ownership via paperwork on the side of the road.  Either they think you're a risk or you aren't.  Even if you have every scrap of paperwork proving pedigree of every firearm, my guess is that if you have 15+ in the vehicle they will simply put you in jail and let a judge sort it out. 

would there be less hassle with source paperwork if I was ever stopped during transport with any of these handguns

Police don't do routine searches of vehicles absent some suspicion of a crime.

Of course, that suspicion may not always be reasonable or even legitimate, but it's not something the average citizen going about his business needs to worry about.

However, if you ever do get pulled over AND have your vehicle searched while transporting, the problem is already bigger than whether you can immediately prove you own those guns.

EDIT: What Malsua said

This contradicts what has been said often on this board that Randolph is one of the most accommodating P2P towns around. Very fast very sympathetic.

This contradicts what has been said often on this board that Randolph is one of the most accommodating P2P towns around. Very fast very sympathetic.

I've had great experiences here in Randolph.  Cathy does a great job of coordinating everything and I have never had any issue.  One time when a recommendation form got lost in the mail she asked me for my contact's email address and said she would just email him the form to save time.