Sign in to follow this  
OfcrFek

Strange question about muzzleloader build kits....

I understand that one can legally go into PA (where a muzzle loader is not considered a firearm that needs to be documented), and bring it back into NJ and own it. However, since NJ DOES consider it a firearm, would someone legally be able to buy a muzzleloading pistol and bring it back into NJ and own it?

I ask because I've been seeing a lot of these "kits" to build them, and while some of the other posts in the forums (I think the one literally under mine) touches on the rifle kits, there's nothing said about the pistol kits. If I wanted to build one, could a friend living in PA order one of these kits, and I just pick it up off him when I go over his house?

Also, would puting one of these kits together constitue "building" a firearm in NJ or is it more like "assembling" an AR? I can kinda see the DA trying to say that even though it was purchased and brought over legally into NJ, the fact that it was built here makes it illegal.

BTW, these are the kits I'm talking about:

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Build-it-Yourself-Kits

If you were a resident of another state and legally purchased a gun in that state

and then moved to NJ - you can bring the guns into NJ w/o any paperwork.

If you are a NJ resident, and you go to another state and purchase the gun

you are supposed to have it transferred to an FFL in NJ to legally transfer

into your possession.

NJ does not recognize Black Powder as being exempt from NJ law, so basicly

the same laws that apply to Long guns & Hand Guns in NJ apply to BP rifles

and pistols.............

O-K, here's the deal:

If you TAKE POSSESSION of an antique hand gun WHILE IN NJ, as a NJ resident, whether from a FFL or a private sale, you're supposed to go through the P2P process (unless the firearm was willed to you or part of a family member's estate, etc.).  Ever wonder WHY you don't see too many black powder hand guns in NJ FFL's?  Here's WHY:  There's NO money in it for them since EVERYONE buys their guns in PA or in other Free America locales!  Buying the black powder parts kit OR a complete gun while standing in Free America is NOT a crime (happens every day in Cabela's)!  As long as you're NOT a Prohibited Person, it's NOT against the law in NJ to merely OWN firearms, SO...........

Go to PA and buy a kit or a completed black powder replica (or original) rifle or single-shot pistol or cap-N-ball revolver (or 100 at ONCE if ya got the scratch $$).  Seller can knowingly sell to NJ residents (this is done ALL of the time, it's as easy as buying a wrench from a hardware store).  Place black powder hand gun (in the case of a fully assembled cap and ball revolver, for example) into your shopping cart and then roll the cart into the parking lot.  Put your new purchase into the trunk of yer car and close the trunk lid.  VIOLA!  The antique is now SECURE!  As you cross the NJ state line, this antique replica is instantly transformed into a DEATH MACHINE, which has to be treated as if it was any other center fire or rim fire hand gun (the famous "directly to and from EXEMPTED locations" rule).  So on the way home from Cabela's, once yer in Joisey, don't stop to go antiquing or go anywhere else other than an exempted location....(although you have "Badge-Americard" as a LEO, so you could go ARMED to buy it)!

If you seriously wish to build a single-shot pistol from a kit, please contact Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton, PA, as they specialize in the muzzleloading hobby and have been in business for over 30 YEARS.  They are experts in the field and will be ever-so-helpful in your endeavors.  You can buy a kit there YOURSELF along with all of the tools and supplies and acc's needed to make it function smoothly.  Assembling a single-shot pistol replica (percussion OR flintlock ignition) is NOT considered manufacturing, so long as you do it for personal consumption and enjoyment.

Those are the facts as I've been made aware through years of membership in several Gun Clubs that shoot black powder.

And FWIW, the hobby of amateur gun building is THRIVING!  Lots of my friends are into it and do quite nice work! 

Dave

NRA Double Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle AND Pistol (the Country's 1st)

Short and sweet of it:

I understand that one can legally go into PA (where a muzzle loader is not considered a firearm that needs to be documented), and bring it back into NJ and own it. However, since NJ DOES consider it a firearm, would someone legally be able to buy a muzzleloading pistol and bring it back into NJ and own it? Yes

I ask because I've been seeing a lot of these "kits" to build them, and while some of the other posts in the forums (I think the one literally under mine) touches on the rifle kits, there's nothing said about the pistol kits. If I wanted to build one, could a friend living in PA order one of these kits, and I just pick it up off him when I go over his house? Yes

Also, would puting one of these kits together constitue "building" a firearm in NJ or is it more like "assembling" an AR? Assembling I can kinda see the DA trying to say that even though it was purchased and brought over legally into NJ, the fact that it was built here makes it illegal.

BTW, these are the kits I'm talking about:

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Build-it-Yourself-Kits