dobie

Gun Range Suicides

Interesting articles. Didn't know this was a problem. Scary if maybe they don't want to go alone.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/the-gun-rental-loophole-109687_Page2.html

Yeah, I think this is Politico just stirring up stuff. I know of only one such (relatively) recent incident. It's not an epidemic.

Several ranges in the area have taken to not renting guns to individuals who are unaccompanied and do not possess an FPID card.  Most people don't commit suicide in front of a group of friends - well except for that stupid alcohol in the shower youtube thing.

Several ranges in the area have taken to not renting guns to individuals who are unaccompanied and do not possess an FPID card.  Most people don't commit suicide in front of a group of friends - well except for that stupid alcohol in the shower youtube thing.

Whil I had not noticed this in NJ. I have seen this policy in Az. Was on an extended business trip and on a weekend tried to get to a range to try out some guns I was thinking about purchasing. No go.

Would not rent to a person that came in by themselves.

I'm begining to wonder if this is an insurance carrier thing.

Mid 80s, Greeleys, (no longer in business)... had a renter come in. Was shooting awhile, then silence. Manager went in to find him with a gsw to the head lying in a puddle of blood. It does happen... how often, we may never know.

vfiles7.jpg

Suicide is the dark cloud hanging over this business. 19,000 per year vs. 11,000 homicides in the U.S.. The bright side, if you can call it that, is the U.S. ranks about 25th worldwide in suicide rate among advanced or civilized countries; much lower if you count the 3rd world. Two countries with close to double our rate, Japan and S. Korea, have a total ban on gun possession. 

I wonder how many of the annual U.S. 35,000 traffic fatalities are caused by gross negligence, the likes of which would be condemned if it involved guns. Crazy speeding, dangerous driving, not wearing seatbelts, drunk driving, cell phone stuff. All pretty dangerous when you're driving a 4000-lb auto at 80 mph. 

This article is a solution looking for a problem.  This is an almost non-issue.  I would much rather someone go to a gun range and kill themselves than not be able to get a gun and decide the best way to kill themselves is to drive at 75 mph head on into another car, taking out other people.  If someone wants to kill themselves they will!  This is a non-story.

Then there is the other stupid stuff about a range that go a liquor license.  What they don't tell you is that you have to show your ID to get in and once done you are not allowed on the range for 24 hours.  Thus, alcohol from that establishment will NEVER lead to a problem.  People can easily drink at home or at the bar down the street and then go shooting, this bar is the BEST solution around as there is control.  It is interested how this article takes facts out of context to spin a story - shame on the author.

Greeley's Cedar Grove.  Boy, that was a long time ago.  Used to go there or to Ray's, only places around back then other than the police range.  Can't even remember the inside, but could not have been good.

Greeley's Cedar Grove. Boy, that was a long time ago. Used to go there or to Ray's, only places around back then other than the police range. Can't even remember the inside, but could not have been good.

I remember it right down to the blood stained carpet. Spent many hours there shooting, buying guns, etc. Use to help do range repairs. Rays when we felt like driving.

I knew the owner at Greelys... Good guy... Owned a trucking outfit. While Jerry the manager took care of the place.

There were a couple others around. One place cant remember name on 46 east in Lodi I believe and one other. But mostly went to G or R...

This article is a solution looking for a problem.  This is an almost non-issue.  I would much rather someone go to a gun range and kill themselves than not be able to get a gun and decide the best way to kill themselves is to drive at 75 mph head on into another car, taking out other people.  If someone wants to kill themselves they will!  This is a non-story.

Then there is the other stupid stuff about a range that go a liquor license.  What they don't tell you is that you have to show your ID to get in and once done you are not allowed on the range for 24 hours.  Thus, alcohol from that establishment will NEVER lead to a problem.  People can easily drink at home or at the bar down the street and then go shooting, this bar is the BEST solution around as there is control.  It is interested how this article takes facts out of context to spin a story - shame on the author.

C'mon; Of course it's a legitimate story. The stuff about the liquor license is stupid I agree, but a guy going to rent a handgun so he can commit suicide is a legitimate news story. Absolutely! You may not like it, but it's legitimate.

C'mon; Of course it's a legitimate story. The stuff about the liquor license is stupid I agree, but a guy going to rent a handgun so he can commit suicide is a legitimate news story. Absolutely! You may not like it, but it's legitimate.

Not any more of a story than a guy that rents a car and drives off a cliff to kill himself.  They would not make an entire story of how Hertz, Avis and National should be put out of business or require mental health checks before they rent a car.

Mid 80s, Greeleys, (no longer in business)... had a renter come in. Was shooting awhile, then silence. Manager went in to find him with a gsw to the head lying in a puddle of blood. It does happen... how often, we may never know.

vfiles7.jpg

Oh, the memories this picture brought back to me. I lived in the Caldwell's back in the early 80's and my friend and I went here one night to practice. I was blowing black soot out of my nose for the next two days. When it was open for business it didn't look any different than it does here in this picture.

Pretty sure it's been leveled since photo. Because it pretty much looked like that always and to the end.

As for nose linings. Nothing like the smell and taste of gun powder in the morning...and afternoon...and evening, next day, etc... Lol..

We don't hear any news stories about how (insert hardware store name here) sold rope to someone who hung themselves, do we?

No, but if 20 people hanged themselves inside hardware stores in one year and the trend was growing you would probably hear about it.  Nobody wants this kind of exposure.  It's bad for the sport and bad for business.

Pretty sure it's been leveled since photo. Because it pretty much looked like that always and to the end.

As for nose linings. Nothing like the smell and taste of gun powder in the morning...and afternoon...and evening, next day, etc... Lol..

I went there only once. We used to shoot at Cedar Grove's outdoor police range on Sunday mornings, between 9 & 12. Cost was something like $25/year at the time. It was close to home and a less of a drive to Cherry Ridge. That ended when someone hit a house in Little Falls with a .44 slug and they determined that the errant round came from the range. All good things come to an end. 

Stuff happens.

This guy was cross drawing his Glock from a shoulder holster and shot himself through the heart.  They never could figure if it was an accident or suicide.

http://www.wokv.com/news/news/local/1-dead-fop-gun-range-accident/nCMm8/?__federated=1

Stuff happens.

This guy was cross drawing his Glock from a shoulder holster and shot himself through the heart. They never could figure if it was an accident or suicide.

http://www.wokv.com/news/news/local/1-dead-fop-gun-range-accident/nCMm8/?__federated=1

I wonder if that's why Heritage Guild doesn't allow shoulder holsters?

The creepiest thing about gun range suicides has to be the feeling the clerk gets for handing the guy a gun. It certainly isn't his or her fault, but probably is strange knowing that person seemed fine a few minutes before.

A friend of mine committed suicide in high school. It bothered me because I talked to him for the first time in awhile the morning before.

Jerry, the manager of Greeley's when it happened was sick for days. When we went in, he just sat there pale as a ghost. He was an older guy so we were concerned he'd put himself into a heart attack. Usually a jolly, grumbly guy that always had a cigar in his mouth, barely spoke for weeks. I'd think anyone would be freaked if they were on watch while this happened...

The creepiest thing about gun range suicides has to be the feeling the clerk gets for handing the guy a gun. It certainly isn't his or her fault, but probably is strange knowing that person seemed fine a few minutes before.

A friend of mine committed suicide in high school. It bothered me because I talked to him for the first time in awhile the morning before.