Vlad G

CJ USPSA Aug 10th

I don't know of any specific site but if you can draw from a holster and shoot while moving or move and maintain safe control and muzzle direction of your firearm you are good to go.

Watch some youtube video's of stages being shot, and then replicate the individual mechanics in the pits at CJ.

I also practice a lot of reloading drills and shooting strong side and other strong side because they tend to pop up in classifiers.

Honestly, just come on out. I'll give the new shooter introduction to the sport, we'll squad you with some experienced shooters to help you along. You can watch for a bit before you are ready to jump in and if you decide it isn't for you no one is going to force you to participate. 

its a lot a fun. 

Bring your gun, as many mags as you have, 200 or rounds of ammo (more is always safer, you can always schlep it back), a functional holster, mag pouches if you have them, eye and ear protection and some water and sun screen and have fun. 

Is there a website that will show me how to train for something like this? I really would like to get into competition but I have know idea where to start. I am a CJRPC member so place to train is not an issue

As others have said - just come on out and dive right in. Everybody had a "first time" at some point. You'll find that you are among friends, and aside from a little good-natured ribbing, they will be very helpful to the new shooters.

If you haven't already, you may want to read this...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/37797-uspsa-idpa-a-synopsis-updated-03232014/

...it talks about both disciplines. Sunday (8/10) at CJ is USPSA. If you want to give IDPA a try, that will be the following Sunday (8/17) at Somerset (pre-registration required).

Either game is great fun, come on out and give them a try - you won't be sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: I'm in BTW

Looks to be a lot of transitioning between targets

No reason you need to run between targets.  Plenty of guys walk their first events.  

It beats standing on a firing punching holes in paper.

You'll always get something interesting to shoot at, either by scenario or target arrays.

When I design stages I like to put in something that moves, or steel.  Or both :evil laugh:

Guys, Do you have an idea for a stage? If you have been shooting for a while you should have an idea of what makes a stage. So, what are you waiting for? An engraved invitation? Get out a pencil and a sheet of paper, heck the back of a menu at the diner works. Drawup a stage, take a picture of it with your phone and send it in. Matches don't 'happen' they require a lot of work, everyone that shoots is capable of helping. You want matches to shoot, step up. You can sketch a stage in 10 minutes, snap a pic and sned it in. Then show up an hour ealy wiht your buddies and instead of airgunning the match, pitch in and build, then we all get to shoot and we all get to go home on time (what ever that is). Or sit it out, whach everyone else build the match and eventually there won't be a match. Some of us have been running matches for nearly 15 years, why? Because we love this sport, not because we like the work. Where am I going with this? I am hoping that a few of you might take up the challenge and design a stage, resist the urge to airgun the match ahead of all the guys building it and pitch in before it is too late.

OK, I am done, I'll be at work Sunday morning doing my part to put on anohter match, where will you be?

In addition to what Bob posted, this http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/18511-new-to-uspsa/ is another good link that has videos that explains everything you need to know about USPSA.

You might also want to try (this weekend) knockdown steel at OB which is Saturday or IDPA at OB which is Sunday.  Knockdown is a lot of fun, and you don't have to worry about moving - just shoot fast and accurate.  There is nothing like hearing all the steel fall as you hit it :)

I downloaded Google Sketchup and was trying to dabble designing a stage. A lot of guys have shared their designs online. Is it normal to ask permission if i can setup the stage for us to try in Ob or CJ? I found some designs that I want to try in CJ or OB one day. I dont feel comfortable changing it slightly and putting my name on the stage design. What do you guys think?

Good match today, some really nice stages. Thanks to all the Stage Designers and Stage Builders. If it were not for them there would be no match. Almost anyone that has been shooting USPSA for a year can do a simple stage. Stages like we had today, like Stage 1, that is special. I hope we see more from Alec.

I didnt. I work every sunday 8-3 until end of september. Gives me some more time to practice. Does anyone use a glock 19 for idpa? That would be my chosen pistol out of what I have now. Also the kydex holster I have is ment for a tlr-3. Does anyone leave those on their rail during competition?

Practice is good but don't let your "newness" hold you back.  

We all were new once and just starting out. 

Your primary focus should be on safety.  Accuracy and speed will come.  As long as you are safe is all that anyone is going to ask from you.  Oh, and that you help build and repair targets during the match.

One thing that helped me a lot in USPSA was designing and building.  You learn a lot about the sport when you work with an experienced builder.  I know I did.

If you see me out at the range don't hesitate to introduce yourself.  I drive a white envoy and more times that not my son will be with me.

To your question, IDPA is a different game than USPSA.  We shoot USPSA at CJ.  Old Bridge runs an IDPA event.

Your G-19 can be shot in either event.

I don't know what a Tir-3 is and so can't answer that question.