Sota

Abandoned trailer on my property. How do I go about registering it for use.

called the DMV. they have a "packet" to deal with abandoned trailers and they're send it out to me. let's see what happens.

if not, you can have it for $1000

LOL!  I can get one with a clean registration for that...

home made requires a crap load of docs...

To register a homemade trailer

To title and/or register a homemade trailer, visit your local MVC Agency with acceptable proof of identification and the following: Original receipts/titles for all parts used

Notarized statement containing construction details, parts and material used, and date and location where parts were purchased. If parts were taken from another trailer/vehicle, you must list the VIN’s of the vehicles it was taken from.

A certified weight slip

Color photographs showing all angles of trailer

If trailer weighs more than 2,500 lbs. (unladen), it must be titled; therefore, OS/SS-32 form must be completed.

If trailer weighs 2,500 lbs. or less (unladen), it must only be registered; therefore,

BA-49 form must be completed at the MVC Agency.

Pay registration fee (Code 22) and title fee, if applicable

or have you recently done this and not encountered these issues.

Two forms, photos, and a sketch. If you can't do that, how the hell did you get a FPID?

I admittedly didn't read the whole thread but google registering it in Maine.  Nice lady that answered the phone sent me an application.  Dot the T's, cross the I's, they send you ME plates and some months later you transfer it to NJ without the bureaucracy (like requiring you to tow your unregistered trailer to an inspection center so it can be inspected for registration purposes).  Done it with my HF trailer

I admittedly didn't read the whole thread but google registering it in Maine.  Nice lady that answered the phone sent me an application.  Dot the T's, cross the I's, they send you ME plates and some months later you transfer it to NJ without the bureaucracy (like requiring you to tow your unregistered trailer to an inspection center so it can be inspected for registration purposes).  Done it with my HF trailer

*Effective August 15, 2014:* The State of Maine will no longer accept homemade trailers without a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).