mustang69

Bought a new range gun - looking for experiences

All,

Picked up a Ruger 22/45 Lite on a deal I couldn't pass up and am looking for your experiences with it, and any tuning tricks.

I bought a Sig 1911 TacOps back when Sig had the buy one / get a 1911-22 free.  With the OGAM and permit timeframes I was finally able to go get the 1911-22.  Since I already have one I asked about swapping it for something else.  In the end, they gave me a nice credit for it (more than I see them selling for on-line) and I never had to take possession and burn a permit.  In its place I got the Ruger Mark III 22/45 Lite with the drilled stainless slide.  

Any comments on it or experiences with it would be appreciated.  I've shot the all-steel version and it was a tack-driver but haven't shot a Lite version yet.  How picky are they with the ammo?

Thanks,

Dean

post-5531-0-47791000-1407458066_thumb.jpg

I have the 22/45 target and added the Volquartsen Competition Kit with MKII internals. The kit eliminates the mag disconnect and you get an adjustable, greatly improved trigger. Improves both reliability and accuracy, and simplifies the take down process - if you feel the need to upgrade, start there.

Most of the Rugers ealt almost anything but I have no experience with the Lite. My mkii has only found one or two ammo brands it does not like wolf match  just has too little punch and it didnt really like winchester wildcat think it had too much lube on it and did not feed real well 

I have two 22/45s and love them.  Here's what I'd consider "required" mods which are all easy to do yourself:

mag disconnect hammer bushing
VQ sear
VQ trigger
slingshot mod (remove bolt stop detent and spring)

You might also need a VQ exact edge extractor depending if you have an extraction issues.  I don't like the all black sights so went with Williams Fire Sights; Dawson also makes a fiber optic front sight that's nice. 

CCI mini mags are your new Best friend.....................

You don't need to use the expensive stuff with a Ruger.  Mine eat just about any bulk pack .22, except Rem Golden Bullets, but they're junk so no big surprise there.

You don't need to use the expensive stuff with a Ruger. Mine eat just about any bulk pack .22, except Rem Golden Bullets, but they're junk so no big surprise there.

That's very different from my experience, Remington gold bullets work great in all my 22s including my p229 22LR, it actually cycles great with the gold bullets. Wish I could find more, although their accuracy isn't so hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ugh I am lusting after a 22/45 lite but I have other needs first. I have shot quite a few of the older steel versions many times and I love them so I want a lite and I thing my wife will really like to shoot it too but for a .22 I don't really care to shoot the high end ammo through it so it it cant cycle the cheap golden bullets or thunder bullets through it that's a deal breaker for me! I shoot .22 mostly to keep my ammo cost to a minimum so whats the point of paying top dollar for plinking ammo. if the 22/45 lites cant cycle cheap ammo reliably then I guess I will need to get a buckmark or an older 22/45 instead.  

Update - I've been able to find CCI minimags lately at the range and the 22/45 Lite functions fine on them (at least it cycles fine) but I've had some problems.  First, the rear sight was installed "clocked" to the side a bit, maybe 5 degrees, making it very difficult to align the sights correctly.  Secondly, after about 50 rounds the bullets were tumbling into the target.  I cleaned the barrel, removed some leading and it improved, but wasn't great.  It looks to me like the rifling is off a bit.  So, it's on it's way back to Ruger.  First time I've ever had to send a handgun back to the manufacturer.

What is a pain is the barrel is part of the receiver, which is the serial numbered part.  If Ruger needs to replace that I need to burn another permit to get it back.  Argh...

Some manufacturer's will re-stamp your serial number on a repaired gun if they replace the part with the serial number.  Same gun, same serial number, no need for a new permit.

I was going to suggest the same thing if they need to replace call and ask them if they can do the same serial explain our stupid P2P system to them if they dont know 

Update on the problems - for various reasons it took a while for my local LGS to return the firearm to Ruger and for me to get it back.  Ruger replaced the barrel and rear sight at no charge, and my FFL didn't charge anything to send it back and return it.

Everything fixed.  Ruger customer service was excellent.

Update on the problems - for various reasons it took a while for my local LGS to return the firearm to Ruger and for me to get it back. Ruger replaced the barrel and rear sight at no charge, and my FFL didn't charge anything to send it back and return it.

Everything fixed. Ruger customer service was excellent.

Always good to hear about great customer service