mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

Escaped under cover of darkness in the early morning a few months ago - found my concealed carry permit in the mailbox 5 days after submitting paperwork.

Could you have your state's govenmnet agency call similar NJ government agencies and explain how to process firearms ppaperwork in a timely manner.

Just started a new job in DE, in the process of selling the place in NJ. Hoping to have the family moved to Delaware County, PA by mid Dec.

Congrats!  

There's a chance I might be relocating out to TX in the coming years for work... crossing my fingers...  

Just started a new job in DE, in the process of selling the place in NJ. Hoping to have the family moved to Delaware County, PA by mid Dec.

Mazel Tov! I'm enjoying life in the Tampa Bay area.  Got my NJ Townhouse sold in July, and just bought a single family house on a small plot of land in Florida for cash (no mortgage)!   It's a little smaller, but I'll live with it. The community has a pool open year round!

When are we having the Reunion? It's not going to be in Jersey, is it?

Of course not. We'll celebrate our new Independence Day in a gun friendly state. Maybe PA given its close to NJ without getting of that communist stank on it.

Of course not. We'll celebrate our new Independence Day in a gun friendly state. Maybe PA given its close to NJ without getting of that communist stank on it.

We have a lot of people down south. I'm thinking something south of NJ with full NFA legality and lots of permissive ranges. Although I have to admit we have all kinds of places to shoot whatever we want in East PA if you poke around a bit. I've never been shooting south of Delaware. Well, not counting Sand Hill and south of the border :)

Bring Snookie ;) How come none of our people move to Virginia? That's sorta middle ground.

Virginia is "iffy" now, like PA.   VA is starting to turn "purple." Especially up near the DC area.  Yeah, it's "Shall issue," but prosecutors up in the DC area are as aggressive as they are in NJ.

I'd say NC/SC/GA is better.

It is in the major cities (Philly, Pittsburgh, Lancaster, etc.).  And with your new democratic gov. and with the damage AG Kane has done....  I hope you can all overcome that.. 

Overcome what? And what damage, NJ can't carry in PA? Gun laws in PA only get better, never worse. Maybe some day, but certainly not sooner than the Carolinas.

Overcome what? And what damage, NJ can't carry in PA? Gun laws in PA only get better, never worse. Maybe some day, but certainly not sooner than the Carolinas.

Let's hope so.  I want to use PA as my home base while I'm in that are visiting family in NJ. I'll just leave any inventory I'm carrying in PA while going over to NJ.

mipafox:

I have just read this entire lengthy tread that you started back in August 2014 and have found it entertaining and interesting and will add my .02, (or as you know me, more like $1.00 in a long-winded multiple post....).

After 17 years of living in New Jersey, my wife and I are now contemplating when we will want to retire and along with that decision, whether or not to move out of NJ to another state, sometime in the next 5+ years, or possibly even sooner. 

We both lived in Manhattan for many years before moving to NJ, while I still have been working in Manhattan and commuting and she works in NJ and NYC.  Like many, we are trying to figure out where the best location for us will be for retirement as we consider downsizing for the next chapter of our lives.  Our selection criteria for any new destination includes the following, compared to NJ:

- lower state income tax
- lower real estate taxes
- higher ceiling for estate tax
- lower cost of living
- recently quality constructed condominium townhomes or smaller houses
- good access to quality healthcare facilities
- better weather (less snow)
- more friendly people
- less traffic congestion
- less population density
- proximity to a college/university for continuing education
- proximity to beautiful state and national parks
- access to abundant potable water, (something that people in the southwest US are now realizing!)
- a general sense of political sanity, (as opposed to either dogmatic right-wing or left wing governance)

AVB-AMG

Let me elaborate on a number of these motivating issues:

Population Density - As we all are aware, NJ has the densest population of any state in the US. When flying into or out of EWR Airport I am always amazed at the crowded proximity of houses in the suburban ring cities and sprawling suburbs. My observation and experience is that daily automobile traffic volume has been increasing over the past several years to the point of making a drive commute ridiculously long and frustrating.

Rudeness – Yes I know NJ is known for and for some people (C. Christie), proud of our recognized general rudeness. Most people in NYC and northern NJ are always in a hurry and can be very rude to others, whether as drivers or even face-to-face, compared to many people outside of the NYC metro region, based on my experience. I am always appreciative of how nice and courteous most people are to strangers outside of this area when I am traveling.

Cost of Living - We all have worked hard to make a good living and part of the reason many of us live in NJ is that many jobs here and certainly in NYC, pay salaries and bonuses that are usually higher, or significantly higher than elsewhere in the country. But we have also had to endure some of the highest real estate taxes in the country. We now pay over $18k/year for our home on less than a quarter acre lot, albeit in a nice town in north/central NJ. So even if and when one pays off a house mortgage, these R.E. taxes will continue to be an escalating burden on what will for most, be a fixed income.

Another real important incentive to move elsewhere is that NJ has the lowest estate tax exemption of any state in the US: $675,000. (FYI - New Jersey's $675,000 exemption has been in place since 2002; the federal estate tax rate is 40%, New Jersey imposes a top estate tax rate of 16%). So much for leaving any significant $$ to your children or other beneficiaries when you die if you are a legal resident of NJ.

Tires, (yes tires….) - I am serious. As a previous poster on this thread has pointed out, we NJ residents spend a fair amount of money on replacement tires for our vehicles due to the poor road conditions, as well as necessary winter tires to allow us to traverse the snow covered roads in the 3+ winter months. Also, don’t get me started on the cost of Automobile insurance in NJ, another area where this state usually has ranked at the top, being one of the most expensive.

At this point, North Carolina looks very appealing to us, for many of the same reasons given by others already in this thread. We have relatives in the Chapel Hill area with their children at in-state schools. We have a vacation home on the Outer Banks of NC which we have enjoyed for almost 20 years. But that is not where we will move to as our permanent residence. Our experience has taught us to have respect for, along with the realization of the devastating power of Mother Nature in the form of annual nor’easters/hurricanes, as well as the corrosive effect of salt air on traditional building materials, as well as having to deal with the massive influx of vacationers and corresponding traffic during the warmer months. I think most folks here understand the gun laws comparison between NJ and NC and how much easier life would be in that regard in NC. We look forward to this exploration.

Specifically the Ashville, NC area looks very promising to us, so over the next couple of years we will explore that area further to see if that is where we want to be. I am intrigued by the music scene there and all of the craft breweries and distillers in that area, as well as its location in the Blue Ridge mountains and proximity to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.  Yes, Ashville, NC and Portland, OR, like Austin, TX and many large towns / small cities in TX, all have some of the fastest growth rates in the US with many folks like us deciding to move there, for many of the same reasons.  Will these towns/cities change politically and socially with the added influx of people from other states?  Of course they will. But compared to staying in NJ with all of its issues and aging infrastructure, I think it will be a very good idea to seriously consider making the move...

mipafox:

I have just read this entire lengthy tread that you started back in August 2014 and have found it entertaining and interesting and will add my .02, (or as you know me, more like $1.00 in a long-winded multiple post....).

After 17 years of living in New Jersey, my wife and I are now contemplating when we will want to retire and along with that decision, whether or not to move out of NJ to another state, sometime in the next 5+ years, or possibly even sooner.

We both lived in Manhattan for many years before moving to NJ, while I still have been working in Manhattan and commuting and she works in NJ and NYC. Like many, we are trying to figure out where the best location for us will be for retirement as we consider downsizing for the next chapter of our lives. Our selection criteria for any new destination includes the following, compared to NJ:

- lower state income tax

- lower real estate taxes

- higher ceiling for estate tax

- lower cost of living

- recently quality constructed condominium townhomes or smaller houses

- good access to quality healthcare facilities

- better weather (less snow)

- more friendly people

- less traffic congestion

- less population density

- proximity to a college/university for continuing education

- proximity to beautiful state and national parks

- access to abundant potable water, (something that people in the southwest US are now realizing!)

- a general sense of political sanity, (as opposed to either dogmatic right-wing or left wing governance)

AVB-AMG

Only 17 states have either an inheritance or estate tax. NJ is one of only two, MD the other, that has both taxes. Thus your estate will be tapped by the federal government and NJ twice.

Except for the traffic issue, the Houston area meets or exceeds all of your points.

Conroe/The Woodlands, 20ish miles north of Houston is nice

-NO state income tax

-lower property taxes

-not sure about estate tax

-definitely lower COL

-Many new condo/townhouse/houses

-2 Brand new hospitals currently under construction in Conroe/Woodlands

-NO SNOW (and rarely any temps in 30° range)

-Much friendlier people-even WalMart employees are polite and pleasant

-Traffic sucks if you commute into Houston

-Less population density

-Lonestar College and Sam Houston State University in Woodlands

-Plenty of state/national parks in the state

-Plenty of potable water supplied by multiple reservoirs in the area

-an abundance of political sanity - refer to Gov. Greg Abbott

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Im looking at Ohio, specifically the Columbus area. Both my wife's job and mine have offices in this city so we can easily take our jobs and salaries with us. I can buy a house twice the size of my current one for about the same and even in an affluent area the taxes are much less on a larger house than I currently pay in NJ. Yes, they have a mag limit, but its 30 rounds. :)

Im looking at Ohio, specifically the Columbus area. Both my wife's job and mine have offices in this city so we can easily take our jobs and salaries with us. I can buy a house twice the size of my current one for about the same and even in an affluent area the taxes are much less on a larger house than I currently pay in NJ. Yes, they have a mag limit, but its 30 rounds. :)

Wasn't that 30 round limit removed earlier this year?