mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

Except for the traffic issue, the Houston area meets or exceeds all of your points.

Conroe/The Woodlands, 20ish miles north of Houston is nice

-NO state income tax

-lower property taxes

-not sure about estate tax

-definitely lower COL

-Many new condo/townhouse/houses

-2 Brand new hospitals currently under construction in Conroe/Woodlands

-NO SNOW (and rarely any temps in 30° range)

-Much friendlier people-even WalMart employees are polite and pleasant

-Traffic sucks if you commute into Houston

-Less population density

-Lonestar College and Sam Houston State University in Woodlands

-Plenty of state/national parks in the state

-Plenty of potable water supplied by multiple reservoirs in the area

-an abundance of political sanity - refer to Gov. Greg Abbott

This signature is AWESOME!!!

This also works in San Antonio. A little less humid in the summer.  Kudos to Governor Abbott. A true conservative!

Business is finally picking up again, but we're not sticking around.

That’s the message respondents sent loud and clear in a recent New Jersey Business & Industry Association survey released today, Dec. 1, 2015, as the economic optimism expressed by most companies in New Jersey was tempered by long-term plans to leave the state. 

NJBIA CEO and President Michele Siekerka said. “The issue is people are not planning to domicile here in their retirement and they are not looking to expand their businesses here in the future.”

Respondents cited health benefit costs, the overall cost of doing business and property taxes as their top three concerns about expanding in the state.  In addition, 67% of those surveyed said they make business decisions based on estate and inheritance tax implications.

FYI - Here is a link to the full article on NJBIZ.com:

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20151201/NJBIZ01/151209971/njbia-survey-finds-shortterm-optimism-but-longterm-plans-to-leave?utm_source=NJBIZ+Daily&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.njbiz.com%2farticle%2f20151201%2fNJBIZ01%2f151209971%2fnjbia-survey-finds-shortterm-optimism-but-longterm-plans-to-leave&utm_campaign=The+Daily%3a+NJBIA+survey+finds+short-term+optimism%2c+but+long-term+plans+to+leave

Business is finally picking up again, but we're not sticking around.

That’s the message respondents sent loud and clear in a recent New Jersey Business & Industry Association survey released today, Dec. 1, 2015, as the economic optimism expressed by most companies in New Jersey was tempered by long-term plans to leave the state. 

NJBIA CEO and President Michele Siekerka said. “The issue is people are not planning to domicile here in their retirement and they are not looking to expand their businesses here in the future.”

Respondents cited health benefit costs, the overall cost of doing business and property taxes as their top three concerns about expanding in the state.  In addition, 67% of those surveyed said they make business decisions based on estate and inheritance tax implications.

FYI - Here is a link to the full article on NJBIZ.com:

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20151201/NJBIZ01/151209971/njbia-survey-finds-shortterm-optimism-but-longterm-plans-to-leave?utm_source=NJBIZ+Daily&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.njbiz.com%2farticle%2f20151201%2fNJBIZ01%2f151209971%2fnjbia-survey-finds-shortterm-optimism-but-longterm-plans-to-leave&utm_campaign=The+Daily%3a+NJBIA+survey+finds+short-term+optimism%2c+but+long-term+plans+to+leave

Told this story before. Back around, eh, 2006 or so we had a reason to market to DPCC facilities in New Jersey. These are places with large amounts of hazardous materials. Could be a refinery, a larger manufacturer, or even just a large local fuel oil distributor.

Because of terrorism panic, you can search them individually but you can no longer get a blanket list of all of them. We had a list from 1998 (8 years earlier) from an earlier marketing effort but cursory review suggested it was no longer very accurate. We found a way to get a new list without too much effort. In eight years the number of facilities had dropped from about 650 to 145. We were familiar with about 100 or so of them, and most of them did NOT move overseas. Some of them shut down, but most of them just got the f*&^ out of Jersey and still operate in the US elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn the fuel oil delivered to your house is stored in small PA or DE terminals. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to learn you are getting deliveries direct from PA. Especially since Port Reading shut down and Hess sold off terminals to developers.

Hey Keith,

Yes in a community called Nocatee. The place is great, plenty of amenities and things to do. I got my carry in 48 days here and have a suppressor in NFA jail, hoping for Christmas. The weather here was cooler than up in NJ for a good part of the summer and everyone I have met is really nice here. If you are thinking of Florida this is a great area.

Jimmy

I'm just down the road from you in Julington Creek Plantation in St. Johns. We have friends in Nocatee and that's a great area.

Have you tried out any of the ranges/shops down here yet? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on either.

I finally made it out!!!  My job finally came through with my transfer.  I moved my entire family to Arizona.  (By the way today 12/8 it was 74* outside....)  This place has some gun laws I think... but not many!  Seeing people open carry (which I wouldn't do unless on a hike) took some getting used to.  Conceal carry is legal, no CCW permit required but available if applied for.  Absolute freedom.  State ranges EVERYWHERE and they are like 5 bucks a day.  you can literally go out in the desert and shoot as long as you're 1/4 mile away from a residence!! Absolutely amazing!  I pray that you all get out of there some day.  NJ laws may eventually get a TINY bit better but it will never be as free as this place!

I finally made it out!!!  My job finally came through with my transfer.  I moved my entire family to Arizona.  (By the way today 12/8 it was 74* outside....)  This place has some gun laws I think... but not many!  Seeing people open carry (which I wouldn't do unless on a hike) took some getting used to.  Conceal carry is legal, no CCW permit required but available if applied for.  Absolute freedom.  State ranges EVERYWHERE and they are like 5 bucks a day.  you can literally go out in the desert and shoot as long as you're 1/4 mile away from a residence!! Absolutely amazing!  I pray that you all get out of there some day.  NJ laws may eventually get a TINY bit better but it will never be as free as this place!

Did you get your CCW permit? If not, you should. When I first started vacationing in AZ back in 2010, I asked what the benefit to the permit is and it allows you to carry in some places that you can't without the permit.

Did you get your CCW permit? If not, you should. When I first started vacationing in AZ back in 2010, I asked what the benefit to the permit is and it allows you to carry in some places that you can't without the permit.

I did not, I am federal LEO so I carry pretty much non stop coast to coast.  If I find a reason to spend the money than yea I will grab one but honestly I have no need as of right now

I'm just down the road from you in Julington Creek Plantation in St. Johns. We have friends in Nocatee and that's a great area.

Have you tried out any of the ranges/shops down here yet? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on either.

Jimmy's in Nocatee and I'm about 20 min north in JAX.

I've been to Gateway, west JAX. Only been there twice because it was convenient, but would never join there.

Looked at Ancient City in St. Augustine. Decent range, but pricey. We tried the Volusia County range because we heard they have a 1200 yd range. Found out you have to join their club as well as the range to shoot there. We shot at 200 the day we went. Okay range, but too far at almost 2 hours.

We've been shooting at Bradford's Sporting Farm, but it's about 1 hour 25 min from Nocatee. We've been there a few times and it isn't bad. Qualified to shoot on their 850 yd range. Also shot rifles on their 300 yd and pistols at their 25 yd pistol range. Relatively cheap, but they don't prorate, so you need to join early in the year.

We've recently talked with the owner of a gunshop in St. Augustine who owns his own private ranges for training classes. They just opened it to the public in the past few weeks. We haven't checked it out yet, but hope to soon. He has a 1000 yd range and then a separate range with sporting clays, I believe pistol pits and a 200 or 300 yd rifle range. Will let you know how it is after we check it out.

We've recently talked with the owner of a gunshop in St. Augustine who owns his own private ranges for training classes. They just opened it to the public in the past few weeks. We haven't checked it out yet, but hope to soon. He has a 1000 yd range and then a separate range with sporting clays, I believe pistol pits and a 200 or 300 yd rifle range. Will let you know how it is after we check it out.

Where is this range located?

Haven't been there yet. May go to the shop this week and talk to the owner. Might shoot this weekend, don't know yet.

The main range is off Rt 1 near the airport. The 1000 yd range is a little southwest in a town called Elkton

Do you know the name of it?  That's not too far for me.  

On a side note I just got y 2016 Jaguars season tickets.  They cost a quarter for better seats than my Giants tickets and no PSL.

Do you know the name of it?  That's not too far for me.  

On a side note I just got y 2016 Jaguars season tickets.  They cost a quarter for better seats than my Giants tickets and no PSL.

Yeah, but I don't know if you'll enjoy watching the Jaguars as much as the Giants.

Don't know the name of it. They only recently went public. The shop is First Coast Firearms.

Are you in FL this weekend? We may go check it out Sat morning.

I bought a Ruger LC9s at Shooters in Jacksonville. My suppressor and soon to be SBR from First Coast Firarms in St. Augustine. He is a nice guy and he just opened his range to the public. I haven't been there yet. Right now it is handguns and 200 yard rifle. He also has an 800 yard rifle but that is not currently open on a daily basis. We have been shooting at Bradford's Sportsman Club lately, they go out to 850 yards, but is an hour and 20 mins away. 

Yeah, but I don't know if you'll enjoy watching the Jaguars as much as the Giants.

Don't know the name of it. They only recently went public. The shop is First Coast Firearms.

Are you in FL this weekend? We may go check it out Sat morning.

Not in town until the following weekend (18th) meeting my two older kids flying from college for a couple weeks.  I have to pick up some of firearms at the LGS.  I'd like to get to shoot them while I am in town.  

Not in town until the following weekend (18th) meeting my two older kids flying from college for a couple weeks.  I have to pick up some of firearms at the LGS.  I'd like to get to shoot them while I am in town.  

Reach out when you're here and we'll see about getting together. At the very least, we should be able to fill you in on the range.

I forget, any ranges on Amelia?

Reach out when you're here and we'll see about getting together. At the very least, we should be able to fill you in on the range.

I forget, any ranges on Amelia?

No there's one small indoor range in Yulee. I don't mind driving to Jacksonville and a bit behind for a good range.

If I knew what I was doing I'd open one on the island.

N.J. lost $18B in a decade due to outmigration, NJBIA report says

The New Jersey Business & Industry Association released a report Thursday indicating that the outmigration of some 2 million New Jersey residents cost the state approximately $18 billion in net adjusted gross income in the years between 2004 and 2013.

Some other highlights of this article:

• The study found that the majority of New Jersey residents leaving the state are migrating to Pennsylvania.

• New York was the second-most-popular destination for those relocating from the Garden State.

• While NJ residents are leaving in search of lower taxes, they also want to maintain a relatively close proximity to family and friends who are in NJ.

• And it’s not just retirees, either…   millennials, which is defined as people between the ages of 18 and 34, are leaving New Jersey in the highest numbers.  Why?
    • Many young people go out of state to college and never return.
    • The cost of living in NJ is so high, young people are choosing to settle elsewhere.

To help reverse some of the trends unearthed by this report, several recommendations include a full reform of NJ’s tax structure to make it more competitive with its neighbors, including but not limited to addressing the estate and inheritance taxes, in addition to the tax on pension incomes.

FYI - Here is the link to the article in today’s NJBIZ.COM:

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20160211/NJBIZ01/160219938/nj-lost-18b-in-a-decade-due-to-outmigration-njbia-report-says?utm_source=NJBIZ+Daily&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.njbiz.com%2farticle%2f20160211%2fNJBIZ01%2f160219938%2fnj-lost-18b-in-a-decade-due-to-outmigration-njbia-report-says&utm_campaign=The+Daily%3a+N.J.+lost+%2418B+in+a+decade+due+to+outmigration%2c+do+you+have+the+coolest+office+in+N.J.%3f+a