mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

Just spent yesterday cruising around New Hampshire scouting out areas to live. As soon as my current consulting assignment ends we kick the search into high gear. We want to be out of here before the next governor turns me into a felon.

Just spent yesterday cruising around New Hampshire scouting out areas to live. As soon as my current consulting assignment ends we kick the search into high gear. We want to be out of here before the next governor turns me into a felon.

I will be looking for a place in the Mt. Washington valley area in the near future.

On 8/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, falcone said:

With Murphy coming in next year along with all the gun bills he'll sign, I figured it would be a good time to bump this thread and see if anyone has new plans to leave this shithole state. 

But you'll be able to smoke weed legally.. that's a plus :)

I'm trying to get out, but I have a feeling that I won't have anything lined up until after the election. Depending on when those new gun laws Murphy plans to sign take effect (and if they include confiscation), I may need to look into some options for storage, since I'm not about to give up hundreds of dollars of good 15 round handgun magazines. The AR mags on the other hand...I don't want to say that they can have 'em, but I'll be buying new ones after moving anyway. In fact, there's a good chance that I'll buy/build a new, non-neutered AR to commemorate the wonderful occasion! :lol:

15 hours ago, carl_g said:

But you'll be able to smoke weed legally.. that's a plus :)

The people of this state are gonna need weed to keep from going crazy with Murphy's nonsense. With regards to being legal though, when was the last time you filled out Form 4473? I'll take my guns over weed any day, thank you very much. ;)

I recently posted this in another thread but it really belongs here....
Most of us are in NJ due to several reasons.  Some of us were born and/or raised here, went to school here, have other family members here or in close proximity that we want to be near and/or our specific work/profession essentially requires us to be in the NYC metro region.  But it is still a choice.  As we all grow older and NJ continues to deteriorate on a number of levels, we each are asking ourselves is it really worth it or 
absolutely necessary to continue to live here.  So regardless of who our next Governor is, the reality of NJ's increasing population density that contributes to worsening traffic congestion and pollution, increasing cost of living and rampant political corruption, along with its ridiculous gun laws, are certainly reasons for all of us to consider alternative states to live and work, when it is possible and makes sense to leave. 

Awhile back, I posted my response here saying YES and listed all the reasons why, that included the THEN ridiculous NJ State Estate Tax.  While that issue was addressed, many are not.  Our destination has yet to be finalized but our search criteria includes the following, compared to NJ:

-       lower state income tax
-       lower real estate taxes
-       higher ceiling for estate tax
-       lower cost of living
-       more friendly people
-       recent quality constructed condominium town homes or smaller houses with garages
-       good access to quality healthcare facilities
-       better weather (less snow)
-       less air and water pollution
-       not prone to natural disasters, (hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, wild fires, mud slides, etc.)
-       less automobile traffic congestion and more convenient parking
-       less population density (not a large city)
-       proximity to a college/university for continuing education
-       proximity to beautiful state and national parks for hiking and bike riding
-       access to abundant potable water, (something that people in the southwest US are now realizing!)
-       in a State that has sensible, reasonable gun laws
-       a general sense of local and state moderate political sanity, (as opposed to either dogmatic right-wing or left-wing governance)

So who else is planning on leaving NJ, when and why...?

AVB-AMG

Though I continue to fight the ridiculous nonsense that is NJ's Nanny State; I am rapidly approaching the age where early retirement is a real possibility.  My wife & I are seriously considering selling-out and moving to the Pocono Mtns. 

As someone who was born and raised here, I do feel that I am being driven-out of my homeland by the NYC/Philly carpetbaggers that currently populate the Trenton Statehouse.

My last anchor to NJ is on hospus. I've spent the majority of my life living in hunterdon county and I really like it here but the taxes are killing me. I can buy a nicer house with more property in New Hampshire and pay a quarter of the property tax. I hope to be out of Nj within 2 years. 

I've already started looking for property in New Hampshire.  The wife is retired already and I work remotely, so as long as I can get to an airport I'm good.  My daughter gets married in NJ May 2018, so after that we're gone.

Only concern I have is selling my house and investment properties.  

This state is quickly becoming ungovernable.  I don't see it getting any better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustang69 said:

I've already started looking for property in New Hampshire.  The wife is retired already and I work remotely, so as long as I can get to an airport I'm good.  My daughter gets married in NJ May 2018, so after that we're gone.

Only concern I have is selling my house and investment properties.  

This state is quickly becoming ungovernable.  I don't see it getting any better. 

Me too. We're looking around the conway area, not in conway but around that area. Aka Mt. Washington valley area. Portland Maine is a little over an hour away. 

• Like 1

Just got back from Siesta Key Fl......

Wife's Aunt has been there 30+ years, so wife has been going there a long time..... I of course have been down a handful of times also... 

This is choice #1 for us to escape to when we either can leave within the next few years or when we retire.....

If we go within the next 5 years, I will move to the mainland in Sarasota. IF it happens when we retire, I expect to move right onto the key...... and buy a boat..... and enjoy life... 

• Like 1

ain't no way i'd be looking to go farther north.......too much colder in the winters. no way for florida for me, unless it's in a relatively undeveloped area in the pan handle. seems to me most of florida is either over developed, or on the fast track to being such. i keep looking to one of the carolinas or virginia......or possibly northeastern texas......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

Me too. We're looking around the conway area, not in conway but around that area. Aka Mt. Washington valley area. Portland Maine is a little over an hour away. 

We're looking in the Hollis area.  Already have family in the Boston area but no way would I consider living in MA.  Hollis is right over the border so best of both worlds. 

And the company I work for is in Portsmouth.  Not exactly close, but at least it's in the same state...

• Like 1

Leaving NJ is definitely in my 5-year plan. I'm considering either Virginia or Pennsylvania. I have family in both states and I'll be "free" in either (at least as of now).

For me, long-term financial considerations, severe overcrowding and overdevelopment, and the overall political climate are my driving factors. Sad, because I've lived here for most of my life and my husband is buried here, but relocating is changing from optional to "have to" pretty quickly.

My lawyer just texted that the sale closing on my house has just completed.  Make no mistake it's bittersweet to move on.  However, a lot of that is the emotional end of having been born raised here, my kids being born raised and finding the early life challenges and successes here.   It's interesting to sell the house where all your children were raised before heading off to college.  The changing of seasons in my life and the growth of my children is all part of this human condition we all suffer from.  However, outside of the emotions of family dynamics; I feel as if my hand is being forced on leaving the state.   I'll get over that latter part becauase my kids are spread around the country so I'll be traveling a bit.  I'll maintain some NE roots with my apartment in NYC but that's a convenience that I'll work part time more than me wanting to live in NYC.  .  

Excuse my sappy bullshit or flame away--I'm pretty thick skinned

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

My lawyer just texted that the sale closing on my house has just completed.  Make no mistake it's bittersweet to move on.  However, a lot of that is the emotional end of having been born raised here, my kids being born raised and finding the early life challenges and successes here.   It's interesting to sell the house where all your children were raised before heading off to college.  The changing of seasons in my life and the growth of my children is all part of this human condition we all suffer from.  However, outside of the emotions of family dynamics; I feel as if my hand is being forced on leaving the state.   I'll get over that latter part becauase my kids are spread around the country so I'll be traveling a bit.  I'll maintain some NE roots with my apartment in NYC but that's a convenience that I'll work part time more than me wanting to live in NYC.  .  

No, that's not sappy... it's well-stated. Moving is both a loss and a gain at the same time, but right now, there's bound to be more of the loss for you... and a bit of mourning, too. I suspect though, once your outta here, the sadness will soon fade... you'll be one of those relaxed, grinning escapees that chimes in on these forums now and again to say, "oh, you poor, poor fools... still in Joisey are you?"  Once you're finally out, you'll be happy. The escapees always are... aren't they? (Dammit.)

Congrats on your closing... and your exciting new life chapter! I hope you chime in on here now and again... with tantalizing tales of Free America. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

Rob I am happy for you. I hope you remain an active member here and continue to make us jealous with all you new toys.

• Like 2