mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

My lawyer just texted that the sale closing on my house has just completed.  Make no mistake it's bittersweet to move on.  However, a lot of that is the emotional end of having been born raised here, my kids being born raised and finding the early life challenges and successes here.   It's interesting to sell the house where all your children were raised before heading off to college.  The changing of seasons in my life and the growth of my children is all part of this human condition we all suffer from.  However, outside of the emotions of family dynamics; I feel as if my hand is being forced on leaving the state.   I'll get over that latter part becauase my kids are spread around the country so I'll be traveling a bit.  I'll maintain some NE roots with my apartment in NYC but that's a convenience that I'll work part time more than me wanting to live in NYC.  .  

Excuse my sappy bullshit or flame away--I'm pretty thick skinned

Do you think yourself or @BlueLineFish buys more guns... daily?

• Like 1

@High Exposure @fattyFlattered but thanks to the virtual world I’m not leaving this board.  Many high quality folks. 

And @Zeke my wife has me on a budget for the first time ever.  Like she said, the only good thing about the permitting process is prevented you from going broke.  Certainly that’s an unintended side effect of an otherwise draconian law. 

Oh, and I do pretty well getting stuff but I don’t think I can keep up with @BlueLineFish

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

@High Exposure @fattyFlattered but thanks to the virtual world I’m not leaving this board.  Many high quality folks. 

And @Zeke my wife has me on a budget for the first time ever.  Like she said, the only good thing about the permitting process is prevented you from going broke.  Certainly that’s an unintended side effect of an otherwise draconian law. 

Oh, and I do pretty well getting stuff but I don’t think I can keep up with @BlueLineFish

Best of luck

On 10/19/2017 at 1:30 PM, Rob0115 said:

My lawyer just texted that the sale closing on my house has just completed.  Make no mistake it's bittersweet to move on.  However, a lot of that is the emotional end of having been born raised here, my kids being born raised and finding the early life challenges and successes here.   It's interesting to sell the house where all your children were raised before heading off to college.  The changing of seasons in my life and the growth of my children is all part of this human condition we all suffer from.  However, outside of the emotions of family dynamics; I feel as if my hand is being forced on leaving the state.   I'll get over that latter part becauase my kids are spread around the country so I'll be traveling a bit.  I'll maintain some NE roots with my apartment in NYC but that's a convenience that I'll work part time more than me wanting to live in NYC.  .  

Rob:

Good luck on your new legal residence in FL and all of the tax advantages that come with permanent residence there.  I hope you will not be someplace that is too exposed to potential damage from wind and/or flooding, etc. from hurricanes.  

Also, while it is nice to have an apartment in NYC, once you decide to jettison that as well, I think you may feel even more liberated from the negative aspects of the NYC metro region. 

Enjoy the next chapter of your life.

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

nyc? the ONLY way one could do worse would be to move to commiefornia

Rob, congratulations.  As Mrs. Peel stated, change is also stressful but in the long run things will work out fine once you get settled in and used to life in your new home.

I myself greatly value my 2nd Amendment rights but unfortunately also feel like I am being coerced to move out of NJ.  Dam shame given I was born and raised here.  Also have lots of family here so cant fully up and move anytime soon.  However, I am nearing retirement age and  am increasingly thinking of buying a home in Pa and making that my primary residence; while maintaining an apartment in the area I presently live near family.  The other constraint that I  increasingly think about is the fact that the runway of life is growing ever shorter.

• Like 1

Well things are progressing very fast now. Grandma died last week and she was our last anchor in NJ. House is going up for sale ASAP and as soon as it's gone so are we. We're going to Conway NH in in a few weeks to start looking for a home to rent temporarily, once we sell our house and rent a house  up there I'll find a job and that will dictate where we buy a house. My wife can keep her current job and work from home. 

We're really excited, sad, and nervous at the same time. Excited to get out of NJ yet sad to leave the comfort of friends, family and the place my wife and I were born and raised. Nervous to move up to an area where we know no one and I don't have a job locked down although I'm confident I'll find one. 

We hope to be moved up north in less than a year!

fishnut:

Sorry to hear about the passing of your Grandmother, my condolences....

We have only met face-to-face once, but from that short get together, I believe that you will have no problem meeting and making many new friends up in NH.  Also, with your multiple outdoor passions, that is an ideal state for you to relocate to, IMHO.  I wish you and your family all the best as you undergo the many necessary tasks of selling in NJ and moving up to New England.

AVB-AMG

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Well things are progressing very fast now. Grandma died last week and she was our last anchor in NJ. House is going up for sale ASAP and as soon as it's gone so are we. We're going to Conway NH in in a few weeks to start looking for a home to rent temporarily, once we sell our house and rent a house  up there I'll find a job and that will dictate where we buy a house. My wife can keep her current job and work from home. 

We're really excited, sad, and nervous at the same time. Excited to get out of NJ yet sad to leave the comfort of friends, family and the place my wife and I were born and raised. Nervous to move up to an area where we know no one and I don't have a job locked down although I'm confident I'll find one. 

1: sorry for your loss

2: best of luck! Change is good!

3: you’re gonna freeze your azz off wittle buddy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

Very sorry about Grandma.  One chapter ends and a new one begins.  Good luck.

13 hours ago, fishnut said:

truly sorry for your loss man.

14 hours ago, fishnut said:

So Sorry for your loss...  But, hopefully, you'll see it as a gain, in time.    Remember, you can always visit your friends or have them visit you. In fact, that could be a new business opportunity. Open a bed & breakfast and charger "peak season" rates in the Autumn (i.e. "Autumn in New England..."), etc. etc.

Best of success in your new ventures.

Thanks guys, I'll still be down to jersey twice a year at least, once in the summer to go down the shore and once during pheasant season. If I get enough land I plan on hoasting a camping/fireworks/shooting at my home range/ freedom 4th of July event 

I won't forget everyone and just like the rest of us that get out I'll post up some pics of my non Nj compliant guns/ supressors when I get them lol. 

I'm not worried about the cold Zeke, I've spent allot of time snowboarding up north and prefer the cold weather...........but my wife is going to be In for a bit of a shock lol. 

9 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

So Sorry for your loss...  But, hopefully, you'll see it as a gain, in time.    Remember, you can always visit your friends or have them visit you. In fact, that could be a new business opportunity. Open a bed & breakfast and charger "peak season" rates in the Autumn (i.e. "Autumn in New England..."), etc. etc.

Best of success in your new ventures.

Funny you say that, I'm keeping my eyes out for something similar, maybe a campground with cabins. Im not crazy about strangers staying in my home but if they were in cabins that would work for me. 

On 11/1/2017 at 9:17 AM, fishnut said:

Thanks guys, I'll still be down to jersey twice a year at least, once in the summer to go down the shore and once during pheasant season. If I get enough land I plan on hoasting a camping/fireworks/shooting at my home range/ freedom 4th of July event 

I won't forget everyone and just like the rest of us that get out I'll post up some pics of my non Nj compliant guns/ supressors when I get them lol. 

I'm not worried about the cold Zeke, I've spent allot of time snowboarding up north and prefer the cold weather...........but my wife is going to be In for a bit of a shock lol. 

A nice fireplace with a good fire on those cold days can make up for the shock. Enjoy!!

9 hours ago, carl_g said:

Damn... I just realized that mipafox started this thread. 

Yep he bumped it a few times when it got stale too.  I recently read through this and it really takes an interesting evolution.  

On 8/9/2014 at 9:17 AM, mipafox said:

It seems like about a year after I joined here the focus largely shifted from expanding NJ gun rights to getting the F out of NJ. We have had a lot of people leave. Many are probably not going to see this poll to vote, but I'd like to know where people generally stand.

I threw in some cop options in the poll only because this place is crawling with cops and many are probably less inclined to leave due to working towards pensions and already having a great deal of relief from NJ gun laws. I think that makes a huge difference in whether or not a gun owner plans to leave in the next 5 years.

You started this as a litmus test.... rip

On 10/22/2016 at 1:16 PM, fishnut said:

I will be looking for a place in the Mt. Washington valley area in the near future.

I'm homeless!.......closed on our house in NJ today. Heading up to NH to look at a few houses next week hopefully!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

Congrats!!  Beyond jealous here.  3 kids with the youngest in 4th grade.  Stuck in this hellhole for 8 more years 

My daughter is almost 2, thankfully we can move before she starts school.