mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

It seems like about a year after I joined here the focus largely shifted from expanding NJ gun rights to getting the F out of NJ. We have had a lot of people leave. Many are probably not going to see this poll to vote, but I'd like to know where people generally stand.

I threw in some cop options in the poll only because this place is crawling with cops and many are probably less inclined to leave due to working towards pensions and already having a great deal of relief from NJ gun laws. I think that makes a huge difference in whether or not a gun owner plans to leave in the next 5 years.

• Like 1

Leaving, yes, but in 10 years.

You can vote however you feel is appropriate. I put in the 5 years because I was trying to dissuade votes from people that simply wanted to move to Florida or Israel when they retire to avoid the snow. But it doesn't matter, people can vote how they want.

My wife and I have been planning for that eventually for more than 10 years now, In all honesty we won't be abandoning NJ or America entirely but rather spending up to 8 months at a time in Asia pursuing some business interest we've been fostering and investing in for years.

Bought a small parcel of land not far from good fishing and diving and want to build a little "Casitas" with high walls and room for a outdoor "wet" kitchen.

Time to go folks........The downward spiral begun a long time ago.....

Leaving in 2-4 years upon retirement.  I'd like to say it's because of the bass-ackwards firearms laws, but it's not.  Those are just a sympton of a bigger illness that infects this place.  IMO, the state is too far gone financially to the point that retirement here just doesn't make sense.  The state is broke - it just spends more than it has and will continue to do so until laws change, and that's not likely to happen.  It's in the minset of the population, thinking "they" can get something for nothing, when in actuality it's just having someone else pay for it.  That can't go on forever.  As soon as Christie leaves office the politicians will start upping every tax they can find.  Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) my wife and I have been lucky in life and we fall into the "horrible" upper tax brackets.  I have no intention of having my retirement funds used to continue financing the social experiments of the NJ cities and plug the holes in the budget.  As far as I'm concerned, let the state borrow every dime - I won't be here to pay it back.  Selfish?  yup - I've given enough.

Unfortunately I am stuck in NJ most likely until I retire due to family and the wife's job, so I am here for another 34 years or until my wife can get transferred to New Hampshire.    

I feel bad for you, I've got 13 - 15 to go to until I can draw my pension.  If it's still there by then.

Daughter's out of HS in 3 years.  My move will be as soon after that as I can find employment in a free state.  I'm leaving a state pension to get out. that financial security is not worth my soul.

Since you have made up your mind, that "financial security" might be worth far less in tangible terms.

we can leave whenever we want now that wife is retired too. NJ is one big moneypit for many reasons discussed and the continuing political/demographic changes over the yrs just arent us. We would like to see our (adult) kids stabilized somewhat first but thats another issue around here-job opportunities. Would prefer to stay near them but whatever, 2-3 yrs we be gone fo sure. And yes, I will miss some things about NJ, hard not to being born here and always lived here.

Leaving in 2-4 years upon retirement.  I'd like to say it's because of the bass-ackwards firearms laws, but it's not.  Those are just a sympton of a bigger illness that infects this place.  IMO, the state is too far gone financially to the point that retirement here just doesn't make sense.  The state is broke - it just spends more than it has and will continue to do so until laws change, and that's not likely to happen.  It's in the minset of the population, thinking "they" can get something for nothing, when in actuality it's just having someone else pay for it.  That can't go on forever.  As soon as Christie leaves office the politicians will start upping every tax they can find.  Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) my wife and I have been lucky in life and we fall into the "horrible" upper tax brackets.  I have no intention of having my retirement funds used to continue financing the social experiments of the NJ cities and plug the holes in the budget.  As far as I'm concerned, let the state borrow every dime - I won't be here to pay it back.  Selfish?  yup - I've given enough.

Unions are bankrupting the state, but no one will ever admit to it. I can't wait to leave this cesspool.

probably less inclined to leave due to working towards pensions and already having a great deal of relief from NJ gun laws.

Great deal of relief from gun laws? Ummm...no. There is no exemption for law enforcement. Departmental guns are a different story.

Great deal of relief from gun laws? Ummm...no. There is no exemption for law enforcement. Departmental guns are a different story.

Not hating on cops, but LEOSA grants you constitutional rights. Good luck carrying in NJ otherwise.

Not hating on cops, but LEOSA grants you constitutional rights. Good luck carrying in NJ otherwise.

Good luck getting LEOSA honored everywhere in NJ for retirees....  I know many LEO retirees that have elected to move away than fight that battle. :rolleyes: