mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

Well I officially don't live in NJ as of yesterday. We spent our first night here in PA and so far so good. I'll get my dl and all the other car stuff done and I should have my ltcf (ccw permit) shortly

You also need to fix your NJGF "location" in your profile... First things first, man!!! :D :D :D

Unfortunately I left and now have to move back. So much for southern hospitality. I got let go from my job here in nc because my coworkers were talking shit to the boss behind my back. I've decided to go back to school and that requires moving back in with my parents for now. I'll give escaping another shot after I earn my degree.

Unfortunately I left and now have to move back. So much for southern hospitality. I got let go from my job here in nc because my coworkers were talking shit to the boss behind my back. I've decided to go back to school and that requires moving back in with my parents for now. I'll give escaping another shot after I earn my degree.

Oh no man that's awful

So very sorry to hear... :(

James- That really sucks man! sorry to hear that but that is the true southern hospitality. they will be nice to your face but talk a bunch of shit behind your back. Ive experienced it so many times in the south that in certain situations I have spoke with a southern accent to avoid being labeled the "Yankee" 

Sorry, I will NEVER come back to live in NJ. Well, unless I find myself poor and need to suck on my mommy's tit some more.

Holy s**t I laughed so hard I spilled a cold one :laugh:

I agree with never coming back to NJ, I visted PA for a few weeks and when I came back into NJ I thought "who would want to live here?!?!?!"

Once I'm gone, I'm gone...never plan on driving into NJ again (unless the fat one in Trenton starts handing out cash).

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out for 'ya, I never bought the whole "southern hospitality" crap after my parents lived in NC and SC for about 5 years...people didn't like folks from NJ (esp. in Durham).

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out for 'ya, I never bought the whole "southern hospitality" crap after my parents lived in NC and SC for about 5 years...people didn't like folks from NJ (esp. in Durham).

That happens everywhere, not just in the south.

James- That really sucks man! sorry to hear that but that is the true southern hospitality. they will be nice to your face but talk a bunch of shit behind your back. Ive experienced it so many times in the south

Yeah cause NO-ONE up north has ever done that....

ive seen both sides of the coin.  when meeting regular people, they can be both nice, pleasant, and hospitable...but at the same time standoffish.  no one here seems to shake your hand when you meet them, and if they do, its a cold fish.  i bought a riding mower off a guy.  never shook my hand, but was friendly and pleasant.  'sure, come on over, try out the mower whenever you want, ill leave it out for you.'  but even after taking the money, he wouldnt have shook on the deal until i offered my hand.  but yet, people in the service industry can be as polite and formal as youd imagine a southern should be.

when i got McDs, they forgot my drink at the drive through.  the guy behind the window, a young black kid, said "oh im sorry sir, here you go.  enjoy your meal sir and sorry for the mix up.  please come again sir.'  i sure as hell never heard that at the BK in passaic.

at least in the north you know what kind of people youre dealing with.  in the south, its a complete gamble.

ive seen both sides of the coin.  when meeting regular people, they can be both nice, pleasant, and hospitable...but at the same time standoffish.  no one here seems to shake your hand when you meet them, and if they do, its a cold fish.  i bought a riding mower off a guy.  never shook my hand, but was friendly and pleasant.  'sure, come on over, try out the mower whenever you want, ill leave it out for you.'  but even after taking the money, he wouldnt have shook on the deal until i offered my hand.  but yet, people in the service industry can be as polite and formal as youd imagine a southern should be.

when i got McDs, they forgot my drink at the drive through.  the guy behind the window, a young black kid, said "oh im sorry sir, here you go.  enjoy your meal sir and sorry for the mix up.  please come again sir.'  i sure as hell never heard that at the BK in passaic.

at least in the north you know what kind of people youre dealing with.  in the south, its a complete gamble.

I don't trust anybody anyway, so I'd prefer they had manners.

The exit tax is just the normal tax on capital gains if you sell a home for more than you paid. But...want NJ does differently is makes you pay this at the time of sale if you're moving out of state instead of just paying it when you file your income taxes in April.

Many people would buy a home in Florida and declare that the primary residence before selling the NJ home. Then, since they were a resident of FL (or any other state), they didn't have to file income taxes in NJ and NJ didn't get "their fair share".

Well, they found a way to get "their fair share".

Still I would list a NJ address as my residence...

I could "rent" from a relative in NJ ;)

Have someone else buy the house in PA or setup a trust as the owner of the house, and move from the "rental" in NJ to PA avoiding the exit tax...

I got one for ya. I bought a house in AZ in 2013, and I sold my house in NJ in 2014, which I built in 1990. What tax returns did I file for 2013, and will I file for 2014? And how is the capital gains tax figured?

So, I was WRONG and maintenanceGuy and Carcano was RIGHT!!!

After further research... 

It appears that if you look under how address is defined.  

Address: Seller(s) primary residence or place of business. Do not use the address of the property being sold. Unless a new residence
(permanent place of abode, domicile) has been established in New Jersey and said new residence is listed under seller(s) information, the
seller(s) is considered a nonresident. Part-year residents will be considered nonresidents.

Seems like EVERYONE WILL BE TAXED if they sold and move out of NJ, without "Renting" first.  Unless you close on 12/31 of the year?

Just want to give everyone the heads up and consult with a tax professional.

Free at last! Currently in free America, armed and happy. Completed my move over the weekend.

Wish I could join you! Congrats on the safe move buddy! BTW, let me know if you need your new home washed, LOL

I moved back here 11 years ago for family reasons and my plan was to leave ASAP. I got drawn into the fast cash of flipping properties and ended up getting stuck with a property when the market turned bad. I started a successful business which in now suffering due to lack of quality employees and being forced to work on my own.

Basically I am stuck here because of the high taxes, property worth less than what I paid for it and very little chance of getting caught up financially at the moment.

I dont know you guys so dont take this personally

I have lived all over the Country and people from NJ are the rudest, most disrespectful, self centered, arrogant jerks I have ever met. And since most everyone is like that to some extent, they dont notice it in themselves and think they are different/better than the others. I drive through retirement communities either for business or family and I wave to people on the street, I get the dirtiest looks in return and have never had a wave or smile returned in the past 11 years...

I talk to my out of state friends and they have commented how much I have changed since I moved back here. I apologize and promise to shake off the NJ ways when I leave the state.

If you want to fit in in another state, you will need to change who you are, the rest of the Country is nothing like NJ residents

Hunter you are 100% correct. In NJ people go out of their way to not talk to you and are just damn rude. Down here in the south everyone says hi and waves and talks to you, everyone has manners. Except I can tell those who have come from the North, you can pick them out like a sore thumb especially their shitty driving habits like they own the road.

Disclosure: I lived in NJ for 30 yrs so I have some experience with the people just in case someone gets defensive.