mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

I am assuming most people on this forum want to leave the Garden State due to two reasons, taxes and the ability to conceal and carry. 

While I have many gripes about NJ and have left for California for a time and came very close to moving to South Carolina I'd like to share my perspective on the topic.

Property taxes are high in NJ and while researching our move to SC to be close to family, we found out that we would pay about $5,000 less a year down south.  We also found out my wife would make $22,000 less a year with comparable experience. Those numbers spoke loudly to us.

Also the comparing the crime statistics NJ actually ranks very well while SC has disturbingly high rates in just about every catergory as do many southern and south western states.

As for conceal and carry we should without a doubt be able to obtain a license which we all know most of us can't.  But at the same time I feel using a firearm is by far the least favorable method of self defense. 

It without a doubt will change your life forever whether you are in a "free" state or in NJ or CA.  You under extreme stress must make every decision perfectly as well as shoot perfectly or end up in jail or being sued and losing everything.

Even if you do everything perfectly you are at the mercy of courts and lawyers which is very frightening. 

My method even if I could carry would be to run, use mace, kick in the crouch, etc.  and only in the complete loss of hope would I ever think of drawing a firearm.

All this being said my answer would be "no" to leaving this state for these two reasons.  Everywhere has it problems without a doubt and I see myself leaving someday but the choice is complicated and I am sure I will have gripes about the new place I end up.

I am assuming most people on this forum want to leave the Garden State due to two reasons, taxes and the ability to conceal and carry. 

While I have many gripes about NJ and have left for California for a time and came very close to moving to South Carolina I'd like to share my perspective on the topic.

Property taxes are high in NJ and while researching our move to SC to be close to family, we found out that we would pay about $5,000 less a year down south.  We also found out my wife would make $22,000 less a year with comparable experience. Those numbers spoke loudly to us.

Also the comparing the crime statistics NJ actually ranks very well while SC has disturbingly high rates in just about every catergory as do many southern and south western states.

As for conceal and carry we should without a doubt be able to obtain a license which we all know most of us can't.  But at the same time I feel using a firearm is by far the least favorable method of self defense. 

It without a doubt will change your life forever whether you are in a "free" state or in NJ or CA.  You under extreme stress must make every decision perfectly as well as shoot perfectly or end up in jail or being sued and losing everything.

Even if you do everything perfectly you are at the mercy of courts and lawyers which is very frightening. 

My method even if I could carry would be to run, use mace, kick in the crouch, etc.  and only in the complete loss of hope would I ever think of drawing a firearm.

All this being said my answer would be "no" to leaving this state for these two reasons.  Everywhere has it problems without a doubt and I see myself leaving someday but the choice is complicated and I am sure I will have gripes about the new place I end up.

You are really over-simplifying here. I feel there are a myriad of reasons for the flight out of NJ. BTW its not just gun owners either. NJ leads the country in people moving out.

Personally for me :

• Better weather
  • Lower taxes
  • Twice the house both in size and amenities for what I'm selling mine for here, and its brand new
  • Gorgeous neighborhood and area compared to what I can afford here in NJ
  • Highly rated schools, which are only a few years old with all of the high tech amenities. School infrastructure investment continues and actually makes the schools better instead of a bottomless money pit like it is here in NJ. I'd have to move to an area in NJ with $15-20K property taxes to approach the schools where I'm moving to where I'll pay $4.5K.
  • Easier and less expensive commute to work.
  • Charlotte's downtown area is really nice like a park with big buildings compared to the cesspool that is NYC. (I get some people like NYC, more power to them but its not for me)
  • 2.5 hours to the mountains, 3.5 hours to Myrtle beach.
  • Political environment more aligned with my views
  • And of course gun rights and living in a free state. This includes simple things like having an adjustable stock on my AR and standard capacity mags. Will I get a CCW, yes. Will I carry everywhere I go, most likely not. Having the option is all that matters. You make it sound like as soon as you CCW you are now going to 100% going to get into a gunfight and it will ruin your life. I don't even know where to begin with that one.

You are really over-simplifying here. I feel there are a myriad of reasons for the flight out of NJ. BTW its not just gun owners either. NJ leads the country in people moving out.

Personally for me :

• Better weather
  • Lower taxes
  • Twice the house both in size and amenities for what I'm selling mine for here, and its brand new
  • Gorgeous neighborhood and area compared to what I can afford here in NJ
  • Highly rated schools, which are only a few years old with all of the high tech amenities. School infrastructure investment continues and actually makes the schools better instead of a bottomless money pit like it is here in NJ. I'd have to move to an area in NJ with $15-20K property taxes to approach the schools where I'm moving to where I'll pay $4.5K.
  • Easier and less expensive commute to work.
  • Charlotte's downtown area is really nice like a park with big buildings compared to the cesspool that is NYC. (I get some people like NYC, more power to them but its not for me)
  • 2.5 hours to the mountains, 3.5 hours to Myrtle beach.
  • Political environment more aligned with my views
  • And of course gun rights and living in a free state. This includes simple things like having an adjustable stock on my AR and standard capacity mags. Will I get a CCW, yes. Will I carry everywhere I go, most likely not. Having the option is all that matters. You make it sound like as soon as you CCW you are now going to 100% going to get into a gunfight and it will ruin your life. I don't even know where to begin with that one.

Did not mean to oversimplify but I just went with the reasons I see most people are leaving NJ  on this forum.  I'm also not challenging anyones decision to leave I left myself for place I thought with all my heart was better. One of my problems with NJ is its to crowded so I guess I applaud your move.

But for the sake of discussion i'll reply to some points best I can.

Better weather:    Umm kinda agree but I personally like the weather out West. Humidity is a bitch

Lower taxes:   that can't really be discussed totally accurate

Able to afford more house: Come down South Jersey getting downright cheap here

Better schools:  I don't know the specific school system you are speaking of but being that I have family in SC, TN, and FLA I here the schools are a mess in the south and have a  very hard time attracting quality teachers.

Politics: Political enviorment is changing rapidly in places like VA and NC mostly because of migration of people from the northeast and immigration from south of the border.

CCW:  I think you can admit that you took liberties in rephrasing my statement.  100% gunfight? I just stated I feel using a firearm is the worst form of self defense and is only an answer for me in a hopeless situation and as I look at it with open unemotional eyes yes it can certainly ruin your life because so much is completely out of your hands in the aftermath.

I don't know where you are moving down south but if its SC enjoy the shrimp and grits I know I do.

Did not mean to oversimplify but I just went with the reasons I see most people are leaving NJ  on this forum.  I'm also not challenging anyones decision to leave I left myself for place I thought with all my heart was better. One of my problems with NJ is its to crowded so I guess I applaud your move.

But for the sake of discussion i'll reply to some points best I can.

Better weather:    Umm kinda agree but I personally like the weather out West. Humidity is a bitch

Lower taxes:   that can't really be discussed totally accurate

Able to afford more house: Come down South Jersey getting downright cheap here

Better schools:  I don't know the specific school system you are speaking of but being that I have family in SC, TN, and FLA I here the schools are a mess in the south and have a  very hard time attracting quality teachers.

Politics: Political enviorment is changing rapidly in places like VA and NC mostly because of migration of people from the northeast and immigration from south of the border.

CCW:  I think you can admit that you took liberties in rephrasing my statement.  100% gunfight? I just stated I feel using a firearm is the worst form of self defense and is only an answer for me in a hopeless situation and as I look at it with open unemotional eyes yes it can certainly ruin your life because so much is completely out of your hands in the aftermath.

I don't know where you are moving down south but if its SC enjoy the shrimp and grits I know I do.

• Moved to Texas.
  • Lower Taxes
  • No State Income Tax
  • Weather is better
  • Castle Doctrine
  • Stand your Ground
  • I now carry everyday
  • Schools are better
  • Housing is way cheaper
  • People here are actually proud of their state.

No place is perfect, but this is way better than the PRNJ!  BTW...Cowboys still suck, Fly Eagles Fly!

Sweeney? Is that you? :)

I am assuming most people on this forum want to leave the Garden State due to two reasons, taxes and the ability to conceal and carry.

While I have many gripes about NJ and have left for California for a time and came very close to moving to South Carolina I'd like to share my perspective on the topic.

Property taxes are high in NJ and while researching our move to SC to be close to family, we found out that we would pay about $5,000 less a year down south. We also found out my wife would make $22,000 less a year with comparable experience. Those numbers spoke loudly to us.

Also the comparing the crime statistics NJ actually ranks very well while SC has disturbingly high rates in just about every catergory as do many southern and south western states.

As for conceal and carry we should without a doubt be able to obtain a license which we all know most of us can't. But at the same time I feel using a firearm is by far the least favorable method of self defense.

It without a doubt will change your life forever whether you are in a "free" state or in NJ or CA. You under extreme stress must make every decision perfectly as well as shoot perfectly or end up in jail or being sued and losing everything.

My method even if I could carry would be to run, use mace, kick in the crouch, etc. and only in the complete loss of hope would I ever think of drawing a firearm.

All this being said my answer would be "no" to leaving this state for these two reasons. Everywhere has it problems without a doubt and I see myself leaving someday but the choice is complicated and I am sure I will have gripes about the new place I end up.

Spoken like a true Newjersian. Stay here this is were you obviously belong.

I moved to Texas in January on a corporate relocation. I didn't have to take a pay cut and we don't have state income tax so...pay raise. I have a larger house, in a much nicer area (The Woodlands) for less money. My commute went from 45 minutes to 7 minutes, groceries are cheaper, gas is cheaper, work for my wife and daughter is plentiful, people are actually polite, my son's grades improved drastically, I can be at any of about 10 gun ranges in under 30 minutes-5 in less than 10 minutes, I can shoot IDPA 3 days a week at local ranges, walk into a LGS and walk out with any gun in the store...without "compliance work" or mag limits or any other AWB BS. I could go on all day but, you get the point.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

To all of you that found utopia cool congrats you don't have to prove it to me after all I'm new to these forums just looking to join in discussion. People will disagree with you don't be so thin skinned. Dems certainly hate opinions different then their own do you?

Sweeney? Is that you? :)

Agreed, I would debate most of the things stated by the poster you quoted.  NJ ranks 50th in tax friendliness by any bipartisan website like factcheck.org.  1 in 6 people receive medicaid, the welfare stats are overwhelming, the pension issue has caused 8 debt downgrades and will be a huge burden to tax payers going forward (did I mention we rank last in tax friendliness?).  Crime is low here and schools are good.  That being said there are other areas with excellent schools, just look at the ratings.  I will not be using them but where I am moving in Amelia Island the schools are ranked the same as Montville where I live now.  My property taxes are going from over 30k / year to under 3k per year.  The differential pay is not as wide as stated, it exists but every other than you car costs less.  If you pick a 0 tax state what's the value of that?  While I'll CCW I wouldn't move my home for it.  

It's bittersweet to leave the only place you've ever lived.  I'm excited about a new adventure/chapter in my life but I'll mist the place where I grew up.  The truth be told the state is in bad shape now and it's going to get worse.  My wife's physical health, due to a chronic condition, is greatly affected by the weather so that's important not just nice.  

To all of you that found utopia cool congrats you don't have to prove it to me after all I'm new to these forums just looking to join in discussion. People will disagree with you don't be so thin skinned. Dems certainly hate opinions different then their own do you?

I relish different opinions but don't be upset if I disagree.

Hmmm seems I rubbed a nerve. Wasn't my intent but interesting all the same.

No nerve struck with me. Just stating the obvious, you've been brainwashed. I don't hold anything against you for your views or opinions, you're entitled to them. I'm not a Democrat, so I wouldn't try to tell you that you're wrong. What you believe, is right for you. That's the way America is supposed to work. Respect for others beliefs, protected by the Constitution.

I relish different opinions but I don't be upset if I disagree.

wait what? maybe i'm slow but can I have an explanation? It seems I disagreed with just about every post on this topic so yea I'm confused or maybe you didn't mean to quote me if so my mistake.

Hmmm seems I rubbed a nerve.  Wasn't my intent but interesting all the same.

Yeah, everybody that left NJ is dying on the vine. You rubbed a nerve because we are all regretting our mistakes.

One sign of arrogance is not being able to tell the difference between people getting defensive and people laughing at you.

No nerve struck with me. Just stating the obvious, you've been brainwashed. I don't hold anything against you for your views or opinions, you're entitled to them. I'm not a Democrat, so I wouldn't try to tell you that you're wrong. What you believe is right for you.

and I quote "obvious you have been brainwashed" opps my bad? care to elaborate? or....

Yeah, everybody that left NJ is dying on the vine. You rubbed a nerve because we are all regretting our mistakes.

One sign ofoarrogance is not being able to tell the difference between people getting defensive and people laughing at ywow

wow ok gotcha....friendly bunch ya'all are.

Agreed, I would debate most of the things stated by the poster you quoted. NJ ranks 50th in tax friendliness by any bipartisan website like factcheck.org. 1 in 6 people receive medicaid, the welfare stats are overwhelming, the pension issue has caused 8 debt downgrades and will be a huge burden to tax payers going forward (did I mention we rank last in tax friendliness?). Crime is low here and schools are good. That being said there are other areas with excellent schools, just look at the ratings. I will not be using them but where I am moving in Amelia Island the schools are ranked the same as Montville where I live now. My property taxes are going from over 30k / year to under 3k per year. The differential pay is not as wide as stated, it exists but every other than you car costs less. If you pick a 0 tax state what's the value of that? While I'll CCW I wouldn't move my home for it.

It's bittersweet to leave the only place you've ever lived. I'm excited about a new adventure/chapter in my life but I'll mist the place where I grew up. The truth be told the state is in bad shape now and it's going to get worse. My wife's physical health, due to a chronic condition, is greatly affected by the weather so that's important not just nice.

$30,000 in property tax? And I thought mine were bad

and I quote "obvious you have been brainwashed" opps my bad? care to elaborate? or....

Brainwashed into thinking that the NJ way of thinking about fending off an attacker would be to "run and hide" instead of "standing your ground". And that's ok, acting like a man isn't for everyone. As well as thinking that our school's are great here compared to other states. Or that staying here to make more money is worth giving up constitutionally withheld rights that NJ imposes on its citizens. The more you make here the more they take anyway, it's not like you actually wind up with a larger bank account in the end. I personally prefer to protest by leaving cutting off my funding to the corrupt leaders of this state, that see me as a piggy bank, and nothing more. This is just where you and I differ on opinions. But again I'm perfectly ok with that, and I would still break bread or have a beer with you.

wow ok gotcha....friendly bunch ya'all are.

I believe "thin skinned," "utopia," and "touched a nerve" came before it was mentioned you might have some arrogance about you.

You came in here and expressed an opinion and then started insulting people that disagreed with you and mocking their responses as if it was proof of your opinion. That is arrogance.

Brainwashed into thinking that the NJ way of thinking about fending off an attacker would be to "run and hide" instead of "standing your ground". And that's ok, acting like a man isn't for everyone. As well as thinking that our school's are great here compared to other states. Or that staying here to make more money is worth giving up constitutionally withheld rights that NJ imposes on its citizens. The more you make here the more they take anyway, it's not like you actually wind up with a larger bank account in the end. I personally prefer to protest by leaving cutting off my funding to the corrupt leaders of this state, that see me as a piggy bank, and nothing more. This is just where you and I differ on opinions. But again I'm perfectly ok with that, and I would still break bread or have a beer with you.

You definitely seem manly I agree no doubt about that, as you said being manly just must be the way you roll as for us others hell I'll run before I shoot any day I know I know you are shaking your head in disgust but hell being manly isn't for everyone.

I believe "thin skinned," "utopia," and "touched a nerve" came before it was mentioned you might have some arrogance about you.

You came in here and expressed an opinion and then started insulting people that disagreed with you and mocking their responses as if it was proof of your opinion. That is arrogance.

sorry I used such harsh insulting language I'll definitely tone it down a little thanks for the advice.

You definitely seem manly I agree no doubt about that, as you said being manly just must be the way you roll as for us others hell I'll run before I shoot any day I know I know you are shaking your head in disgust but hell being manly isn't for everyone.

I see a touched nerve as clear as I see my mailbox :D

sorry I used such harsh insulting language I'll definitely tone it down a little thanks for the advice.

You don't have to apologize about anything. I'm not the arbiter of right and wrong around here so JMHO. If you are going to give it, be prepared to take it.

And, yeah, there shouldn't be aggravation over where to live. It's not like it's Eagles vs. Cowboys :)

You definitely seem manly I agree no doubt about that, as you said being manly just must be the way you roll as for us others hell I'll run before I shoot any day I know I know you are shaking your head in disgust but hell being manly isn't for everyone.

I'll be sad one day when I read about you in the papers.

Want to compare penis sizes? Seems this is the response your attempting to get out of me.... I figured I would pander to your desire.

I see a touched /nerve as clear as I see my mailbox :D

Wait I was just told that term was arrogant? Again i'm just a new fella trying to throw my 2 cents in. Peace brothers I meant no harm. I understand some people are prone to let little things get under their skin I just forget it sometime. I agree jersey sux can we be friends?

I'll be sad one day when I read about you in the papers. Want to compare penis sizes? Seems this is the response your attempting to get out of me.... I figured I would pander to your desire.

wow how do you respond to such a post. I wonder if anyone else thought that's what I was going for. Damn I just wanted to join in, you guys always so unfriendly to the new guy? Or am I a special case. Beeee nice .